More Reasons I Love BIS
Well, ever since I got into the Infinity Engine series of games (BG series, IWD series, Planescape: Torment), I have been a shameless Black Isle Studios fanboy. Forced to choose between the two, I would take BIS over Buzzard. Sure, Buzzard is a GREAT company, but I just like BIS' games more than Buzzard's. Of course, everyone knows Starcraft is the best RTS ever made (I have not played War3 for more than about 30 minutes, so I cannot render a verdict on War3), but that is beside the point.

I recently snagged one of those two-games-in-one bargain bin deals (I got Torment that way, too) when I was at Best Buy to pick up a GBA-to-GCN cable (I have a GBA and Metroid Fusion, along with my GCN and Prime, among other games - I cannot wait to see Samus' Fusion suit in full 3D!), which contained both Fallout and Fallout 2. I had heard that they were excellent games in their prime, and I thought it a good chance to pick up both games for a paltry $10 since I missed them when they were in the limelight. Turns out Fallout is a GREAT game, and I think I am about halfway through Fallout 2. I was a little turned off by the turn-based combat system at first, but now that I have adjusted to it, it feels very natural. More natural than even the Infinity Engine's combat system. Now, comparing turn-based to real-time might be considered comparing apples to oranges, but fruit is fruit, right?

Fallout seemed a bit easy to me (ESPECIALLY after you get the Hardened Power Armor and Turbo Plasma Rifle - I charged both the mutant base and the cathedral and didn't even have to use more than a few stimpacks), but thankfully, Fallout 2 satisfies my want for a challenge. A noticeable difference between the two is that in FO2, enemies do not drop their armor (at least, they did not for me) after death. This makes a huge difference in the early-game, especially when you are fighting those random-encounter raiders and slavers who use "advanced" weaponry and armor like Leather Armor and Flamers when you are running around with a Leather Jacket and rinky-dinky 10mm handguns. Of course, now I use Metal Armor Mark II and one of those oh-so-good .223 pistols, so it is a little more even now (considering the NPC AI is practically brain-dead - Sulik uses a Sledgehammer over a Submachine Gun, and when he DOES use the SMG, he basically bursts every single attack.)

If any of you have deprived yourself of these two excellent RPGs, I suggest you run to your nearest Best Buy or similar store, and search the bargain bin (or bargain shelves, in my case) for these gems. They are a nice break from Baldur's Gate II and Diablo II, at any rate.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Fallout is, without question, the second greatest RPG ever (after Planescape: Torment, of course).

Then again, I have weird tastes (I like Arcanum! WTF?) so I suppose my vote doesn't count ;)
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
hey arcanum is cool stuff! though I never beat it. it was just too long. also I thought that the magic spells in the game were lame. it was much funner to be a theif of some type of tech guy.

also the fallout games are just all around sweetness. though I personally thought that fallout was better then fallout 2.
Signatures suck
Arcanum was a good idea on a crap engine, and just....lacked. I finished it, but I didn't enjoy it that much.
I'm just trying to get through PS:T myself, having amanged to get a bad impression of it first for some reason.
Fallout 1/2 are GREAT. I agree wholeheartedly with Artega, get them. Fallout 2 is the only game that I have ever bought at full price rather than wait for it to fall into the bargain bin.
For even more fun try some old console RPGs. Um, actually, is there a forum policy against mentioning emulation? (SNES, etc, not PS or later) I'd better check that first.
If there is, it's news to me.

I suppose it's a form of piracy, but given that the games, and the systems they are played on, are not just out of print, but also out of support, I don't think it makes much difference. PC games tend to have a longer shelf-life, legally, it seems. *shrugs*

I'm always up for a good ROM game. But then, I prefer the consoles, ALWAYS, would gladly pay a good chunk of change to get a console / cartridge over a ROM any day. :D I own FF3, BoF, and SoM, but not CT. :( Someday. I even own a Virtual Boy! How many people can say THAT? :D

One of these days I'll have to throw my ROMs up on my site... :P
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Owned it since release day baby. :D

See, you just gotta find the right spots. Ive been picking up all the old good games for SNES and my NES for a few months now, got a good collection going. Ive got ever Final Fantasy ever made; hell, almost every Squaresoft game ever, and tons of others besides.

Ah the golden days of gaming.

But on topic, I thought Fallout/2 were both good, but I didnt like Tactics as much. Planescape still gets my vote, if I had to pick one though. :)
[Image: lumsig.jpg]
I actually liked Fallout 1 and 2. There's about 3 things
you have to do in each game to complete it, so using
an editor, it once took me 30 minutes to complete to
complete fallout1. (but that wasn't any fun)..

I prefer games with a bit of depth, that actually lets you
choose what you want to do. I don't know which game
to compare it with, but in Fallout, there's about a
million things you can do, that you don't have to do.
(perhaps Deus Ex would be the closest clone, but that
has more to do with changing the story as you go
along, than just doing extra quests.)

I like it when gamecompanies offers you the chance to
choose. It adds to the versatility to the game when you
play it around the second and third time. That's one of
the reasons why Max Payne flopped in my mind. the
game was really fun to play the first time around, but
after I completed it the second time, I was really aching
to uninstall it while playing the last few levels. When
you're forced to only -repeat- the game, when you
want to play it again, that's not really a sign of a good
game.

- [wcip]Angel
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
...never changed once in the story, and it's one of the best games of all time. Having a game that's non-linear can be very nice, but it can also be a huge headache sometimes. I've found both types of games: those where the lack of linearity helped the game immensely, and those where I just found myself asking "what next?", before giving up. A game that finds a balance between the two (Final Fantasy 3, Chrono Trigger, etc.) are often the best, IMHO. Then again, it also depends on the game itself.

I haven't played most new PC games. I particularly avoid 1st-person games. Never could get into them. Hated Tomb Raider, but that was partly because I just sucked at it. Never tried the Myst series, and typically avoid any game that looks even remotely like it. Maybe someday I'll try them. :)
Roland *The Gunslinger*
The first 2 tomb raider games were great. The first one was obviously best, but the second one really added some nice features. The last 324 editions of the game has added -nothing- to the series, and is considered garbage in this house.

I haven't played FF3 myself, I guess it's too late now, unless they re-release it, like they did Resident evil.

(loved ff7 & 8 though)
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
[FONT=Optima][COLOR=blue]hi i loved the fallout seris excep tatics but i would advise young children to stay away from it it is very explicit but it is still a great game :P