Routers
well, me and a friend are currently behind a router.... i know, i know, the root of all evil, etc etc, but we can do nothing about it right now :P. i was wondering if anyone had written a "hack" that let more then one person behind a router play on bnet? this is one of the few "hacks" i would use, it just adds a feature that should have been there to start with :P" any info would be helpfull, i do think this hack would be possible, but i really dont want to write it :P
TheCafFiend

Edit: excuse horrible typing, it was 3:00 in the morning and i had been starring at router config screens for an hour or so :P
Whats a "router" to you? I have a Linksys 4-port router and have two computers connected to it which goes to my cable modem. I am able to play diablo with both computers quite easily, even thou they both share the same ISP, however, they have two different cd-keys, of course.

Also, a program to help you do chores is a Utility. A program which alters other programs is a Hack - IMO.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
If one person can play behind the router, but more than one cannot, you need to open up a wider range of ports. Blizzard should still have a faq. If you are using NAT to share one IP address, up to four computers can play diablo on battle.net.
actualy, i have been to blizzards site and read their faqs a few times, and they are all for telling you how to play with more then one computer with warcraft III behind a router thru changing ports on the game, but no real info on diablo II and routers. whenever i or another couple friends (also behind a router) try to connect to battle.net it only lets one person online then tells the other person that "cd key is in use by <name of first person on to bnet>".i also have e-mailed them asking how multiple computers can play over a router, and they basicly said i was screwed... but now that some people have said that they are playing from behind a router, it would be much appreciated if you could help me figure out why i cant:p. im using a linksys 4 port router and a cable modem as well, but we are actualy using my hub, which is connected to the uplink port on the router. four ports jsut isnt enough sometimes :P
TheCafFiend
All your computers probably have the exact same CD-Key listed when you installed.

Solution: Make sure you have one legal copy per PC, install one copy per PC, making sure that each one has a different CD-Key. There's no way around it. Hell, my brother and I bought a second copy of D2 AND LOD as soon as we managed to get the router up and running.

Only problem is that sometimes, after a few hours of play, one of us will suffer a "Realms Down" message, while the other is still blissfully playing(but the moment that one crashes/exits, BOTH cannot connect) The amazing thing is, I can access another realm(like if "Realms Down" in Asia 2, I can access Asia 1 and 3 and all other countries' servers), just not the one I was playing on when the error occured. About the only way to "fix" this is usually to reset both coms(which of course will lose the excess items in the game, since the time it takes to restart is significantly longer than the time it takes before BNet closes a game with zero players) Anyone know about this?
The only case where a router and bnet have problems is Starcraft, you can't have more than one person playing online at the same time (two people CAN connect to bnet however). Starcraft has NAT problems tho, only lets one computer use the nefarious port 6112.

I hear with linux you can have workarounds.. But im not on linux
Yup. I play at home with two machines behind a router. Insure you have NAT enabled on your router, and that you have two legal copies of the game.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Kharohz,Mar 8 2003, 11:46 AM Wrote:The only case where a router and bnet have problems is Starcraft, you can't have more than one person playing online at the same time (two people CAN connect to bnet however).&nbsp; Starcraft has NAT problems tho, only lets one computer use the nefarious port 6112.

I hear with linux you can have workarounds.. But im not on linux
Yes, only starcraft has this problem. As long as you have two legit copies, there's no need to hack. :)
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
well, we have been playing with this, and we realized what may be the problem: my friend had his little siblings tear off his cd-key from his Diablo II case, so we used my cdkey to install, thinking that since d2x required its own cd-key, it shouldnt matter... but now that we have talked about it, it would seem that is about the only thing left that could be the problem. i was sure i remembered using this tactic before, only owning one copy of diablo II but two copies of d2x and playing on bnet with my friend in the next room :P. if i was wrong, any help on changing the cd-key without re-installing owuld be much appreciated, because re-installing takes forever :P
TheCafFiend
AKA TypoDaemon
Try to find the original CD-Key, and you could probably edit the registry or something(most games store their CD-Keys in the registry, not sure about D2) Actually, this is illegal, but you could also sneak into a cybercafe, steal the CD-Key from the registry, and change the number in the cybercafe's registry so that other people can't access B.Net from that particular computer. :P It's even more devious when you simply change ONE number and the tech people there will never figure out what's wrong(I've never actually done this before, but unscrupulous "friends" assure me it's possible)
wow, thats evil man, i play at cyber cafes ot much to do that, cause id get stuck using a computer that me or someone else had done that to :P
AtomicKitKat,Mar 13 2003, 09:43 AM Wrote:Try to find the original CD-Key, and you could probably edit the registry or something(most games store their CD-Keys in the registry, not sure about D2) Actually, this is illegal, but you could also sneak into a cybercafe, steal the CD-Key from the registry, and change the number in the cybercafe's registry so that other people can't access B.Net from that particular computer. :P It's even more devious when you simply change ONE number and the tech people there will never figure out what's wrong(I've never actually done this before, but unscrupulous "friends" assure me it's possible)
Now that's plain wrong!
You can't steal the Cd-key from the registry easily anyways unless you use a program, and that's already suspicous enough. ;)

So, just reinstall the thing and contact tech support.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
AtomicKitKat,Mar 13 2003, 09:43 AM Wrote:It's even more devious when you simply change ONE number and the tech people there will never figure out what's wrong.
...Until they say "screw it" and just reinstall the game. Problem solved.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
You need to access the router via your cpu....check the owners manual or the owners site on how to do this...this will clue you in on the IP needed...you need to check the security settings....also make sure that you dont have any port restrictions.....I had the same prob w/my d-link wireless router on my cable modem, except it would bump me off when anyone else logged on the 4 other computers there .....

J
*NERDmanWhippy on Us East
Along these same lines, any playing with a router ever notice you get Realm Downed and/or Connection Interrupted in solo-xfer games more often? My own personal experience with the router is once you go RD on one machine, the entire WAN goes down. This tells me my IP address is the same on all three machines on Bnet's side. Either way...

Atomic is right, you are using only 1 CD key. Buy another copy of the game and it will work. :)
Conner

God Bless our American Troops!
A better way to pay for the War than Oil