Text messaging invades English schools!
I never quite understood why they like using B and ) to symbolise "cool smiley" I see B and I see ), and I think "geek smile" Ahh well, I'm old-fashioned that way. I like listing things out with the whole A-bracket, B-bracket, etc.

I also forgot to add

F) Paranoid Schizophrenic
AtomicKitKat,Mar 4 2003, 06:36 PM Wrote:I never quite understood why they like using B and ) to symbolise "cool smiley" I see B and I see ), and I think "geek smile"  Ahh well, I'm old-fashioned that way.  I like listing things out with the whole A-bracket, B-bracket, etc.

I also forgot to add

F) Paranoid Schizophrenic
The guys who stabbed Lucy and Carter.. Wasn't he paranoid schizophrenic?
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Hey... a BTVS/ATS fan?

Actually, I just throw around a lot of psychological terms to describe myself. I'm generally just moderately insane. :wacko:
Hey... a BTVS/ATS fan?

What the heck is ATS? Some abbreviation for Angelus?

BTVS is a great show, but I watch it for Willow... ^_^

As far as this ICQ thing goes, I'm in agreement with Pete and Jonathon Spectre. Kids can bastardize the English language all they want on their own time, but should still be held to some standard (ie: comprehensible) form in school.

I think, at the height of my ICQ use, I had 40-45 UINs on my list, although that was back when most of AoH used it. I think I have 5 or 6 now, and rarely turn the thing on.
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
AtomicKitKat,Mar 5 2003, 03:11 PM Wrote:Hey... a BTVS/ATS fan?

Actually, I just throw around a lot of psychological terms to describe myself. I'm generally just moderately insane. :wacko:
I hate to say this.. (oh who am I kidding? I love to say this) but I cried each and every night, for 3 full months after I saw Becoming part2.. at the time, I was under the impression it was the last episode..

To answer your question: Yes, I'm a -huge- fan of the series. Even though Buffy is superior in every way, Angel is still a very enjoyable show, although we don't get the show in Norway (or new episodes of Buffy for that matter) so I have to find them 'elsewhere'.

They've only sent the first 4 seasons of buffy here, and no sign of Angel (the series) yet.. You're in your 7th or 8th season of Buffy if I'm not mistaken?

Warlocke: I suppose "ATS" = Angel - the series ?

-------
As for the language bit. I -hate-

* 7313-speak (I use the term "7313" as it is just as much a word as "1337" is) "lzp, boon k22. Shut up the ****"

* CAPITALISATION. What the hell is wrong with people's keyboards?

* The inane use of the z-key. It's not "skillz". It's "skills" or even "abilities" (yes! Two words that mean relatively the same thing.)

* The adding of plural s. "They sux" = "They sucks". It's not "they sucks", but "they suck"!
I suck
you suck
he/she/it sucks
they suck
you suck
we suck

* "xeqtr" = "executor"? Please, spare me.

* "LOL"? Excuse me while I choke on my jaffa cakes. (they used the term "LOL" in Splinter cell. Almost made me quit and uninstall the whole thing.)
Quote:I hate to say this.. (oh who am I kidding? I love to say this) but I cried each and every night, for 3 full months after I saw Becoming part2.

I must be scatterbrained... I've never seen the title for an episode of Buffy. I mean, they don't show it before the episode, or after... So I always have to say "that episode where X happened", and it's really annoying.

That said, where I live we only get the "second-string" episodes on FX. Until this season, FX only showed the series up through the end of the Glory storyline (season 4? or 5? The Master was season 1, then it was all about that harbinger kid in season 2, then Faith and the mayor in season 3, then the Initiative and Adam is season 4, so yeah, I guess Glory was season 5). This season FX got "new" episodes, so I had the chance to see the whole "nerd" storyline which, honestly, wasn't very good. The very last episode I've seen is the one where the "head honcho nerd" tries to shoot Buffy and... misses. Then they went and started showing reruns again... I really want to see what happens next, dangit! :ph34r:

(Edit: Had a brain fart. Removed spoilers)
Here in sunny Singapore, we finished Season 5 of Buffy almost a year ago and Season 3 of Angel about 4 months ago.

Becoming... I think that's Season 2, where Angel turned Angelus(and the whole hell opening thing)? I admit, I got choked up. Straight or gay, male or female, that kind of scene will short-circuit your emotions(unless you're totally brain-dead or emotionally-dead).

Most of the BTVS/AtS fans in my guild on Neopets(yes, same name as here) are female. Kind of awkward being like one out of maybe 10 guys in a guild of 2000++ females. O_o

An example of a typical MSN Messenger message from my cousin(15-ish)

wah lanz! liverpool beat man u! i cant believe it man!!

Straight away, the following things pop into my head:

1) Wah Lan=local dialect term meaning "my ****" Note that the horrendous combination with net-speak has appended the dreaded "Z"

2) Failure to capitalise the first letter of each sentence.

3) Failure to capitalise the first letter of proper nouns.

4) Multiple use of the same punctuation mark to end one sentence (the "!!" at the end)

Heck, that sentence above is one of the more coherent ones. It sometimes takes me a full 2 minutes re-reading his paragraphs before they make sense. Thankfully his English homework is still up to par(just not MY par) :P
WarLocke,Mar 6 2003, 09:59 PM Wrote:I must be scatterbrained... I've never seen the title for an episode of Buffy. I mean, they don't show it before the episode, or after... So I always have to say "that episode where X happened", and it's really annoying.

That said, where I live we only get the "second-string" episodes on FX. Until this season, FX only showed the series up through the end of the Glory storyline (season 4? or 5? The Master was season 1, then it was all about that harbinger kid in season 2, then Faith and the mayor in season 3, then the Initiative and Adam is season 4, so yeah, I guess Glory was season 5). This season FX got "new" episodes, so I had the chance to see the whole "nerd" storyline which, honestly, wasn't very good. The very last episode I've seen is the one where the "head honcho nerd" tries to shoot Buffy and... misses.  Then they went and started showing reruns again... I really want to see what happens next, dangit!   :ph34r:

(Edit: Had a brain fart.  Removed spoilers)
You don't read online episode guides? They almost double the joy of the series.

I use www.buffyguide.com which goes into quite some detail when talking about each episode.

Becoming part 2: last episode of season2.

Angel is Angelus and is trying to destroy the world by waking up a demon called Acathla which will such the world into hell if he is waken.
As Angelus and buffy do battle in front of the waking demon, on the other side of town our favourite wiccan witch, Willow is attempting the soul-restoration spell the gypsies used to turn Angelus into Angel.

Cut to the battle: Buffy defeats Angel who is brought down to his knees. Cut back to Willow doing the spell.
Buffy is about to kill Angelus as Willow's spell work and Angel is returned.

... Apparently, doing a search on "Buffy quotes" AND "Becoming part 2" won't help much. However... by running a search on "transcripts" I managed to find this:

Cut to the mansion. Buffy raises her sword to dispatch Angelus, but
stays herself when he suddenly gasps loudly and groans in pain. She sees
his eyes glow bright red for an instant and go back dark. He looks up at
her, but quickly collapses to the floor, crying. Buffy stares down at
him, but still holds her sword raised behind her. Angel raises himself
back up, his eyes heavy with tears, and looks into her eyes.

Angel: (softly) Buffy? (sobs) What's going on?

She just looks at him, confused but not yet ready to lower the sword. He
looks around a bit and gets to his feet.

Angel: Where are we? I-I don't remember.

Finally Buffy realizes that the curse has worked, and she slowly lowers
her sword.

Buffy: (softly) Angel?

Angel: (sees her wound) You're hurt.

She looks down at her wound and feels his gentle touch on her arm. She
ignores her cut, looks back up at him and steps closer. He embraces her
tightly.

Angel: Oh, Buffy... God.

She still isn't completely sure that it's true, but accepts the hug.

Angel: I... I feel like I haven't seen you in months.

Finally she accepts it, closes her eyes and breathes out a deep sigh.

Angel: Oh, my God, everything's so muddled. I...

He holds her even more closely.

Angel: Oh...

He sighs deeply and kisses her on the shoulder.

Angel: Oh, Buffy...

She cries into his shoulder and hugs him back. Behind him Acathla lets
out a low rumble. Buffy opens her eyes and stares in shock as Acathla's
face contorts. His brows angle down, his eyes glow red, his mouth opens
grotesquely and the swirling vortex to Hell opens, small at first, but
growing steadily in size and emanating a deep, red glow. Buffy lets go
of Angel and looks up into his face.

Angel: (confused) What's happening?

Buffy: (whispers reassuringly) Shh. Don't worry about it.

She brushes her fingers over his lips and across his cheek. She lays her
hand on his cheek and kisses him softly. He returns the kiss, and it
becomes more passionate. Behind them the vortex has grown to about five
feet (1.5 m) across and continues to get larger. Buffy breaks off the
kiss and looks deeply into Angel's eyes.

Buffy: (whispers) I love you.

Angel: (whispers) I love you.

She touches his lips with her fingers again.

Buffy: Close your eyes.

She nods reassuringly, and he closes his eyes. She tries hard not to
start crying, and kisses him again gently. She steps back, draws back
her sword and thrusts it into his chest. His eyes whip open in surprise
and pain, and a bright light emanates from the sword. She steps away
from him. He reaches out to her and looks down at the sword thrust
completely through him. He looks at her imploringly, completely
bewildered by this turn of events. She can only stare at the sword
protruding from his chest, and slowly steps further back.

Angel: Buffy...

Behind him the power of the sword begins to swirl into the vortex. Buffy
steps further back, still looking only at the sword in his chest and not
into his face. The vortex has enlarged to about twelve feet (3.5 m)
across, and the two energies begin to interact. Angel still holds out
his hand to Buffy. When the vortex finally meets him it suddenly closes
into Acathla's mouth without so much as a spark, taking him with it.
Buffy stares at the stone demon for a long moment, a light of awareness
dawning in her eyes as she truly realizes what she has done, what she
has lost. She begins to sob, her heart breaking. In the background "Full
of Grace", by Sarah McLachlan, begins to play over the scene.

-----
Not a dry seat in the house..
I remember that episode. I did tear up, although that doesn't count as crying. I'm a guy, and guys don't cry. <_<

Although, I think the absolute most gut-wrenching ep I've seen is the last episode of season 5. With the big fight with Glory and that tower thing; Giles and Spike really stood out in that one.

I just wish I could see the new eps -- Evil Vampire Willow was so cool, imagine how awesome Psychotic Witch Willow has to be... B)
Thanks for the spoiler!
:unsure:
All I know is, right now I'm playing a game of Diplomacy through email, and I've just about hit the wall when it comes to stretching the bounds of language in my various communique. Of course, most of it comes from the fact that I am attempting to impersonate other players and disrupt everything with deceptions of various colors and degrees. Stuff like sending angry responses to battle plans that I completely reject and refuse to follow—sent to players that never even offered a plan in the first place (make them think that I'm being played the fool by a third party and arise suspicion on their part).

You know how hard it is to make lots of white noise in diplomatic legalese in order to bury some snippets of truth? :unsure:
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
I have 190 people on my buddy list for AIM, if I cleaned it out, it'd probably be down to at least 150, and maybe 100. I use the "u" and "ur" and "prolly" (probably)... but other than that, I usually use normal English. And no, I don't add "z"s on the end of things... although it does happen among the middle schoolers (or so I am told by their siblings).

However, there is a time for IM, and a time for analyzing Crime and Punishment, Hiroshima, Death of a Salesman, Obasan, House of Spirits etc... and also Plato's Republic. The classes I am taking would never tolerate any other kind of English or shorthand or anything on turned in papers.

Although, I have noticed through my years in English (GT to IB), that there is a lack of grammar being taught. Every year the teacher is suprised that you didn't do grammar the year before, yet they fail to cover it themselves. /end rant on schooling
>Kids can bastardize the English language all they want on their own time, but should still be held to some standard (ie: comprehensible) form in school.<

Yes, I also support this idea, I also have classmates (9th grade) who still use words like : sux, stupid, rulez, ownez, lotsa, dumb....... in their essays.

In the whole classroom, the only people who write in standard are me, and another friend of mine, and I'm not even a native english speaker, pains me to see people who dont even bother or care to speak, and write their mother language correctly......
"It burns because its burning!"
What really makes me want to slit my own throat is the fact that proper, idiomatic grammar is looked down upon. I'm currently studying at a University College, so in school we use a suitable language, but on the norwegian forums I frequent, correct language-use is frowned upon. If you don't write incorrectly on purpose, you're not 'cool'.. This is what really pains me.. that the ones writing wrong are the ones who are 'right'.. .. and should you try and correct someone, you'd be hated for months. I should know.. my forum-title is (translated into English)

"Grammar Rider" ;)
Heh, let them hate you all they want. If it weren't for you constantly nagging them to improve their language use, they would never get a good job cos their resumes would be filthy with language misuse. I'm frequently referred to as "The Language Police" and "The English Nazi" :P
It just makes it impossible to carry on a discussion, as they will be prejudice against any opinion I have to offer just because I commented on their use of the phrase "omfg" a few days earlier. Childish behaviour, but what can you do?
[ Wrote:Angel,Mar 10 2003, 08:06 AM]It just makes it impossible to carry on a discussion, as they will be prejudice against any opinion I have to offer just because I commented on their use of the phrase "omfg" a few days earlier. Childish behaviour, but what can you do?
A. Keep doing it regardless of their behavior

B. Make fun of them for their lack of spelling and grammar (tehy is the suk!!!!111)

C. Leave and never come back

D. Track them down in real life and "teach" them a lesson ;)

E. Cave in and become just like them (Noooooo!!!!!)

My personal favorite is D. :lol: :huh:
Don't worry. You won't feel a thing...until I jam this down your throat!
-Dr. Nick Riviera

Have you read the FAQ, Etiquette, or the Rules yet?
Nonono, B should be:

Make fun of them for their lack of spelling and grammar (tehy SuXx0rz!!!!111```)

:D

Actually, just forge on regardless. I couldn't care less what they think, as long as they have me on their minds, it is proof that I am influencing them.
Quote:As for the suitability of slang in school? A zero on that paper is generous, however, in America, I suspect the student would have been given at least 5 points for having spelled his own name correctly. *snorts*

i've recived grades from -7 ....
to about 110...

but would gladly rank that paper at -10
The wind has no destination.
Quote:I think, at the height of my ICQ use, I had 40-45 UINs on my list, although that was back when most of AoH used it. I think I have 5 or 6 now, and rarely turn the thing on.

mine has collected over 500 entries, and my aim is over 130 now.

It's people from a number of irc servrers, newsgroups, and online discussion forums, in varrous catagories that I keep, tennitive at best, connections with for varrous esoteric bits of information they might have.

The ones that I really concider friends, number under 20 individuals within both lists...
The wind has no destination.