Holy Jeebus...
Press Release

SciFiWire

IGN

It supposedly will be set in the MechWarrior: Dark Age timeline, but I guess DA is better than nothing...

Here's hoping a Zeus makes it into the film... :wub:
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
Two words: Robot Jox.

I'd rather there never be a Battletech movie than there be one that's not excellent. Get James Cameron to do one set during the 4th Succession War and I am SO there.

JS
I agree, I'd hate it to turn out a dud like Robot Wars (the "sequel" to Robot Jox, which was about 25 times worse).

Dean Devlin may not be James Cameron, but he did Independence Day, which while not original, was very well-done cinemagraphically speaking.

(Is that even a word?)

Devlin also directed Eight Legged Freaks, which I personally thought was a great movie. Campy, but intentionally so. And with some very good choices of camera angles and scene flow and such.
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
Cinematically.

And Devlin made Godzilla, too... :o
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Rhydderch Hael,Mar 4 2003, 02:25 AM Wrote:Cinematically.
I think he aimed for "cinematographically".
I'm a little shocked by this news. On one hand I'm thrilled somebody is finally coming up with the plan of making MechWarrior / BattleTech into a film, but on the other I read the three linked articles and have to say that they primed me for a little disappointment . . .

Quote:February 28, 2003 (LOS ANGELES) - WizKids Media announced today an agreement with Hollywood screenwriter and producer Dean Devlin to produce a movie based on the MechWarrior universe. Devlin has produced films such as Stargate, Independence Day, Godzilla, The Patriot and Eight Legged Freaks. Paramount Pictures is in negotiations to option the property from WizKids for Devlin’s Electric Entertainment. "Whether I write the script, help with the script or direct, I’m crazy about the material. This is a real passion project for me," Devlin said. Devlin would like to get the movie into theaters within 24 months.

Firstly Independence Day writers Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin bounced into my top 10 Hollywood hate list, with what I can only describe as one of the most over-hyped pieces of crap I've ever sat down to watch.

And Devlin wants to take my beloved MechWarrior francise and put it on the screen? I'm afraid. Very afraid. :(

Check this out:

Quote:"I long for MechWarrior even when I play MechWarrior. Masterfully manipulating dozens of keys on the keyboard to flush coolant, switch weapon groups, delegate down orders, blow the arms off a troublesome Thor, dodge a flurry of SRMs, and at the same time jump jet over a small plateau to reach a critical objective that needs a critical murdering is marvelous. It always has been."

Is that his source material??? That's like thinking a packet of nails equates to the entire fundamental structure of a house! :blink: Has this guy read every sourcebook, played all the PC games since Mech 2, read many of the novels etc etc??? If he hasn't (and there's still no indication that he has) then he's barely scratched the surface of BattleTech. :(

Quote:The movie will focus on The Republic, a melting pot of people similar to the United States, and how factions in The Republic and forces outside of it are hoping to restart the ’Mech wars of old.

So based on the knowledge that Independance Day stands as one of the sloppier, nastier American Flag wavers of our generation and given the fact that he just incerted " people similar to the United States" to be his 'good guys', the sinking feeling deepens. Let me guess . . . several good looking Casper Van Diem types (for the teen audience) sprinkled a few steotypical racial cliches for blance, facing off against a culture that's agressive and just generally couldn't give a crap about Truth, Justice and Liberty rhetoric (the 'bad guys' - likely where any arab actors will be). Plot expectation: Bad guys attack the Ameri- errr Inner Sphere who in turn spout some dialogue about freedom and proceed to get creamed until they come up with a ridiculous plan that saves the day and preserves freedom once again for heroes. Ooh! Ooh! I nearly forgot. Explosions! Lots of explosions and CGI makes a film really great, right?

Hey wait. Haven't I seen a plot like that before? :blink:

Parting shot:

Quote:"It’s set 40 years after the ’Mech wars have ended and introduces a group of young heroes in their early 20s"

Woop

de

doo

Another one of those *me chokes* :angry:

I hope I'm wrong. :(
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War