Net Hack
OK, things cleared up. I had to exit Sokoban (entrance on level 10), go up to level 2 to enter the mines, down to thw town (were guards for some reason are attacking me, I think I kiled one of them by mistake once when I was blind, now I see when blind though which is much better). Found a Mattock or something, and then back to Sokoban to destroy the boulder.

The strange thing was though, that the room with all those monsters, they did not move, they just stood there until I attacked them, Strange. And there were gold everywere and occationally when I moved, the monsters flickered and showed gold. In any case, I got my amulet of reflection (found a bag of holding on level 1 of the main dungeon so I am all happy).

The nice thing was though that when I attacked the Nymph, she stole my cursed dwarf cloak (which was rotten by the way)!!!!! Talk about luck :)

Some questions though, what do a ring of stealth and a ring of warning do??

By the way, I drank from a fountain (I think) and it showed my attributes, not bad I think (the ones below are cheated though by exiting so I could show it). No idea how I got them all, I think I have eaten som corpses for some:

You were piously aligned.
You were cold resistant.
You were poison resistant.
You were level-drain resistant.
You were telepathic.
You had automatic searching.
You had infravision.
You were stealthy.
You were fast.
You had reflection.
You had free action.

Anything in particular else I should try to get? By the way, do the monster list of killed ones, have them in any particular order? Seems the "best" ones are sort of at the start.

So far, I find myself never using wands, potions, scrolls and such (although instead I "cheat" some by saving and such). I just end up puting all of them in my bag (being burdened), is there any point? Should I just leave them instead? Also, are chests found in the dungeon safe to put items in?`As oposed to the ground for example?
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Quote:down to thw town (were guards for some reason are attacking me, I think I kiled one of them by mistake once when I was blind, now I see when blind though which is much better).
Yes, they do that if you anger them. I don't think that there is anyway to stop them do that except by killing them.

Quote:The strange thing was though, that the room with all those monsters, they did not move, they just stood there until I attacked them, Strange. And there were gold everywere and occationally when I moved, the monsters flickered and showed gold.
You are stealthy and monsters are sleeping. They have not noticed you and will only attack you if you wake them up. The gold flickering is because of line of sight. The game will leave gold and item marks on the screen even if you don't see them but does not do that to monsters. Thus, if the monster disappears from your line of sight, you will see the gold underneath it.

Quote:what do a ring of stealth and a ring of warning do??
A ring of stealth gives Stealth ability what you were wondering (as described above). It's not particularly useful, but will ease killing of throne rooms and other places with lots of sleeping monsters. A ring of warning shows color flashes, which I never figured out, nor did any of my friends. It seems to be a way too imprecise and unreliable to be worth using.

You were piously aligned.
You were cold resistant. --> This is from Valkyrie
You were poison resistant. --> Cave spiders and such give this
You were level-drain resistant. --> Can't say, a special item perhaps?
You were telepathic. --> This you gain by eating a floating eye.
You had automatic searching. --> Ring of searching, I believe
You had infravision. --> Can't say, a special item perhaps?
You were stealthy. --> Ring of stealth or boots of elven kind
You were fast. --> IIRC, this increases by levels
You had reflection. --> Amulet of reflection
You had free action. --> Ring of free action or such

If you have an artifact or two (such as Excalibur or the quest item) it could explain a few stats.

Quote:Anything in particular else I should try to get?
Definitely.
- Magic resistance (a cloak of magic resistance or a gray dragon scale mail)
- Fire resistance (eat a fire giant or a red dragon)
- Conflict (a ring of conflict; put on only in combats)
- Life saving (an amulet of life saving)
- Levitation (a ring/boots of levitation; put on only when needed)

Quote:So far, I find myself never using wands, potions, scrolls and such (although instead I "cheat" some by saving and such). I just end up puting all of them in my bag (being burdened), is there any point? Should I just leave them instead? Also, are chests found in the dungeon safe to put items in?`As oposed to the ground for example?
You are okay doing, but I would not put unidentified wands into a bag of holding. If the wand happens to be a wand of cancellation it will destroy the bag of holding with all its contents. Keep also a normal sack with you and put wands there. Have a plan to identify potions, wands and scrolls later on. Dungeon chests are safe, but some big monsters may pick them up.

Cheers,

Tommi
Hammer of Atur
PvE/RP World of Warcraft Guild
Argent Dawn (European RP server), Alliance side

Dwarf Campaign
Awarded Custom Campaign for Warcraft III

Tommi's Diablo II information and guides
The de facto source of Diablo II game mechanics
Well. guess what, I got SOOO frustrated that I just deleted the game (well, at least all save files). Oh well.

>You were level-drain resistant. --> Can't say, a special
>item perhaps?

Hmm, I had one special ring, don't know what it did, could be this one.

>You had automatic searching. --> Ring of searching, I
>believe
>You had infravision. --> Can't say, a special item >perhaps?

I only had one ring :) And as far as I know no other item told it gave any of those properties.

>You were stealthy. --> Ring of stealth or boots of elven >kind

I had some +2 long boots

>You were fast. --> IIRC, this increases by levels
>You had reflection. --> Amulet of reflection
>You had free action. --> Ring of free action or such

THAT was the ring, so the three above was from something else.

>If you have an artifact or two (such as Excalibur or the >quest item) it could explain a few stats.

Yes, I had excalibur. So probably it. I got it diping a sword in the mine town. It rusted like mad first though. But I never got bad things from those fountains there.

>Definitely.
>- Magic resistance (a cloak of magic resistance or a gray >dragon scale mail)
>- Fire resistance (eat a fire giant or a red dragon)
>- Conflict (a ring of conflict; put on only in combats)
>- Life saving (an amulet of life saving)
>- Levitation (a ring/boots of levitation; put on only >when needed)

Oh well. Need to restart a new game for that. I got killed expolring a level for fun (with tons of elves in a room). I thought I had the save game stored away, but appearantly I moved instead of copied it away. So lost it. Oh well.

I think I need to learn how to identify things. and use more items. It is just thet the interface is not the best and at times I get strage things like I want to pick up an item and it pick up all items. Then I spend a lot of time droping them again and so on. Well, perhaps I unzip the game a day and try again. It was fun as long as it lasted. And thanks for all the hints. I was on arround move 30k and I think I had some 70k point.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
BanditAngel,Feb 28 2003, 10:39 AM Wrote:Elbereth is your friend from what I've heard, although I never used it.
El Ber Eth?

Is THIS related to the supposed pattern for runewords in D2?

Is this already common knowledge? I am surprised no one else picked up on this in this thread.
LiquidDamage,Mar 11 2003, 01:57 AM Wrote:El Ber Eth?

Is THIS related to the supposed pattern for runewords in D2?

Is this already common knowledge?  I am surprised no one else picked up on this in this thread.
Well, yes. Elbereth curved with a wand of fire into ground prevents monsters from entering the square. Pity that there is no such rune word in Diablo 2. What could it do?

Starkindler
3 Socketed Body Armors
El + Ber + Eth

+150% Defense
+500 Defense
Damage Reduced by 33%
+7 to light radius
Regenerate Mana +15%
30% faster hit recovery

Hmm. It's hard to design a good rune word.
Hammer of Atur
PvE/RP World of Warcraft Guild
Argent Dawn (European RP server), Alliance side

Dwarf Campaign
Awarded Custom Campaign for Warcraft III

Tommi's Diablo II information and guides
The de facto source of Diablo II game mechanics