Want to try a great online web game...
Sorry to hear that. I was about to post to ask if there was an update.

I was actually going to title my post "Darn you Rhydderch!" because, after reading some of your press from the game, I started reading up on Diplomacy.

I loved the bit (bite?) about the puppy closing the foreign office for a couple days. Though I wouldn't have made it a bulldog - how could a cute, tiny litttle adorable thing like that cause such a ruckus?

Now a Wolfhound....

Dog Bites Plane - isn't the best telling I've seen of this story. I recall one with a comment by someone on the ground crew saying that they opened the door to the cargo bay, and there he was, wagging his tail with an expression that said "it's great to see you - I was bored".

So if you're going to GM a game, where do I sign up?

(Edit: One more question: Is the press from your game available to view somewhere?)

-- CH
(ready to be fresh meat)
Hmm, playing in TWO Diplomacy games would be fun, although I'd probably confuse myself horribly. And this is the only place I know to talk about it, so if anyone else from here played in it I'd be talking *far* too much for my own good :)
I am most definately enjoying my first day playing Diplomacy, its quite an interesting change from the normal fast-paced gaming of today with its subtle manuevers and treaties for peace.

Btw, the first moves are in!

Movement results for Spring of 1901. (tickle.001)

Austria: Army Budapest -> Serbia.
Austria: Army Vienna -> Trieste.
Austria: Fleet Trieste -> Albania.

England: Army Liverpool -> Yorkshire.
England: Fleet Edinburgh -> Norwegian Sea.
England: Fleet London -> North Sea.

France: Army Marseilles -> Burgundy. (*bounce*)
France: Army Paris -> Burgundy. (*bounce*)
France: Fleet Brest -> Mid-Atlantic Ocean.

Germany: Army Berlin HOLD.
Germany: Army Munich -> Ruhr.
Germany: Fleet Kiel -> Denmark.

Italy: Army Rome -> Venice.
Italy: Army Venice -> Tyrolia.
Italy: Fleet Naples -> Ionian Sea.

Russia: Army Moscow -> Ukraine.
Russia: Army Warsaw -> Livonia.
Russia: Fleet Sevastopol -> Black Sea.
Russia: Fleet St Petersburg (south coast) -> Gulf of Bothnia.

Turkey: Army Constantinople -> Bulgaria.
Turkey: Army Smyrna -> Ankara.
Turkey: Fleet Ankara -> Constantinople.

I receieved press from the Russian earlier today stating that my move into the North Sea as considered a threat by Russia. I'm considering saying something along the lines of "Phooey at you" and hope for an early attack on Germany to prevent them from evicting me from the Northern front without one heck of a struggle. France's bounces were intentional, btw. I need to take a look at a map before I decide on any longer term goals, but for now I'll be content with taking Belgium and as much of Scandinavia as possible in the next few turns.
I am Baylan

Hardcore is the way to play!

You'll find me on US-East, on the account name Baylan (for now, I'll add more as I get my accounts up and hardcore-capable).
Quote:Turkey: Army Smyrna -> Ankara.
With Armenia still open, this move doesn't accomplish a lot, except to show Russia that you don't trust them at all, but you don't plan on taking enough initiative to actually START a war. Seems like a bad move to me.

And in news on my game, we've moved turns to Thursday, and I'm finally getting to deal with the shifting diplomatic situation. I just hope I made good choices on who to trust.
In all honesty, Russia is correct in perceiving a threat in the North Sea, considering that he does not have St. Pete's reinforced (though he can do that with the Livonian army, but I suspect he wanted to convoy that guy in on Sweden).

Once you land an army into Norway, St. Petersburg is one jump away. The fact that Russia has to re-evaluate his warplans to defend Pete's constitutes the threat implied.

"Phooey" is more or less and out-an-out declaration of hostility, and may drive Germany and Russia together. In my game, that was my biggest threat and fear: should those two reconcile Scandinavia against me, it would invite France to take me down in my weakened state. The worst I ever feared in my turn as England was being booted unceremoniously out of the Scandinavian peninsula.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~cbattey/diplomacy/ - Same URL as always. Germany is down for the count.

Anyways, I've finally started seeing how the Diplomacy of the game unfolds. England wants me to join France in hitting Russia, but France has been telling Russia that he plans to attack England. It looks like France is trying to play everyone agains't each other. Given his early successes in building a large army, I have to say that he's quite a skilled player. However, I've started my own manipulations, and it seems like things are moving fairly well for me. I'm loathe to say much before it unfolds, however. That always seems to jinx it :) The game is definently a lot more interesting once you understand the social aspects, however. Russia and England seem like decent players - they understand alliances. Italy has been seriously over-agressive, and while he understands offering support I don't think he understands alliances. Austria was a late joiner, and never really had a chance to form meaningful alliances until Italy provoked me in to shifting my attentions. She's doing a good job with her situation, however.
Is that map after builds for Fall 1902?

If there is an English army in Kie and a Russian army in Ber, why are those supply center dots not blue and white, respectively?

-- CH
Oops, totally forgot about that. The GM forgot to update the map label - It's the spring 1903 board.
Movements for Fall of '01 are here...

Austria: Army Serbia SUPPORT Fleet Albania -> Trieste.
Austria: Army Trieste -> Vienna.
Austria: Fleet Albania -> Trieste. (*bounce*)

England: Army Yorkshire -> North Sea -> Belgium.
England: Fleet Norwegian Sea -> Norway.
England: Fleet North Sea CONVOY Army Yorkshire -> Belgium.

France: Army Marseilles -> Spain.
France: Army Paris -> Picardy.
France: Fleet Mid-Atlantic Ocean -> Portugal.

Germany: Army Berlin -> Munich.
Germany: Army Ruhr -> Holland.
Germany: Fleet Denmark HOLD.

Italy: Army Venice -> Trieste. (*bounce*)
Italy: Army Tyrolia SUPPORT Army Venice -> Trieste.
Italy: Fleet Ionian Sea -> Albania. (*bounce*)

Russia: Army Ukraine -> Rumania.
Russia: Army Livonia -> Gulf of Bothnia -> Sweden.
Russia: Fleet Black Sea SUPPORT Army Ukraine -> Rumania.
Russia: Fleet Gulf of Bothnia CONVOY Army Livonia -> Sweden.

Turkey: Army Bulgaria -> Greece.
Turkey: Army Ankara -> Armenia.
Turkey: Fleet Constantinople -> Bulgaria (east coast).

Well, it looks like the Russian and I are about to bat heads, but currently there is talk among France, Germany, and I about an alliance to wipe the Russian and the Italian off the board... I'm likely to accept the proposal. I'm pretty tired right now, will go more indepth into my ideas/thoughts tomorrow likely.
I am Baylan

Hardcore is the way to play!

You'll find me on US-East, on the account name Baylan (for now, I'll add more as I get my accounts up and hardcore-capable).
The threat, if there is any, was F Edi-NWG, not any move to the North Sea. Most Russian players realize that unless the impractical Splits are played, England will be in the North Sea, and should be in the North Sea. It's England's natural property, and having someone else in there is usually the death knell. Leaving it open just invites other people to try to take it.

Anyway, it never pays to be hostile - except in extremely rare situations - and the army in Bel and the fleet in Nwy is clear enough evidence of friendly intent. The move every Russia hates to see in Fall is F NWG-BAR with a convoy to Norway, and that didn't happen.
BanditAngel,Apr 26 2003, 11:53 PM Wrote:Anyways, I've finally started seeing how the Diplomacy of the game unfolds. England wants me to join France in hitting Russia, but France has been telling Russia that he plans to attack England. It looks like France is trying to play everyone agains't each other. Given his early successes in building a large army, I have to say that he's quite a skilled player. However, I've started my own manipulations, and it seems like things are moving fairly well for me. I'm loathe to say much before it unfolds, however. That always seems to jinx it :) The game is definently a lot more interesting once you understand the social aspects, however. Russia and England seem like decent players - they understand alliances. Italy has been seriously over-agressive, and while he understands offering support I don't think he understands alliances. Austria was a late joiner, and never really had a chance to form meaningful alliances until Italy provoked me in to shifting my attentions. She's doing a good job with her situation, however.
Poor Germany. He never had a chance. That's highly unfortunate for anyone whose board colour isn't naturally blue - you (all of you) needed Germany as a buffer against France/England and there isn't one any more.

I can see that you've come to some kind of accomodation with Austria, which I think is a generally good thing. Austria's doing well to still be alive, though that life is due more to Italy and Russia mucking up their offensives than to any kind of defensive ability. You probably should have supported Bul to Gre or Smy to EAS, though. AEG-ION is interesting, but if you knew of Austria's move to ADR, you'd know that AEG-ION wouldn't make a difference.

France and Russia have one opportunity next turn for a stab on England. Next turn. After that, it will either be impractical for France or impossible for Russia.

One of two things are going to happen. If England and France combine to kick Russia out of Ber, then it's time to rally the rest of the board and lock up the line until they see reason or agree to a six way draw. If France and Russia run England out of Kie, with appropriate moves by France, namely A Spa-Mar, F LYO-Spa(sc), and F Bel-ENG (or A Ruh-HOL, F Bel S A Ruh-Hol), then you can go on.

Italy's aggressive, but I wouldn't say too aggressive. He's playing Italy "fasta", under the Italy theory that claims that an aggressive Italy is the only way of winning as the little green men. Certainly, an aggressive Italy carries a higher chance of elimination, but simply being in the game isn't the same as a win.
F Aeg-Ion was a toss away move, admittedly. I had no clue the Austrian fleet was taking Adr, and I'm honestly a bit more comfortable with a standoff over Greece than actually occupying it. The army in Bul means Russia can't try anything. Russia, however, is now asking for me to let him move his fleet in to support me in the south. It seems to me that I might as well let him, on the principle that a Russian betrayal means I'm pretty much dead and there's no point worrying about it. Certainly the extra fleet down there would help agains't France, and getting my fleet out of Bla and in to service is useful.

Still... I'm not sure I like the idea of a Russian fleet crossing Con.
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~cbattey/diplomacy/ - New board up (Fall 1903)
France seems to be moving agains't England.
England seems to be moving agains't Russia.
Russia seems to be moving agains't me.

The Russian army moving from Ukraine to Rumania makes me think that trusting him might have been a mistake - that army would seem to exist for the sole purpose of backstabbing either me or Austria. Fortunantly I think a backstab agains't Austria is likely, but it I'm rather worried having a knife that close to my back.

Italian defence of Apulia is suspicious. He could have been retreating since he saw I had two fleets posed to strike at him, but having Tunisia support him in holding the Ionian would have been much more sensible. Russia WAS aware of the convoy I was launching (me, Russia and Austria are temporarily allied in taking out Italy), and so I naturally suspect him - unfortunantly there isn't much I can do about that now.

Builds aren't posted yet. If he builds in Stevastopol I know that I'm doomed. Unfortunantly holding the Black Sea probably wouldn't have helped too much - Sev supports Rum in to the Black S0ea, then Sev takes Armenia, thus flanking me and putting me in a position to play guessing games. Austria isn't going to be much of a help defending me, especially since there's enough Russian armies right on her border to crush her if she sides agains't Russia - but she's going to need all her units to keep Italy at bay anyways.

So I suppose once again I'm hoping that I can trust Russia, because if I can't trust Russia I'm doomed. Oh how I hate this feeling of helplessness :)
Well, if Russia wants to send his fleet through Con, then his moves make sense - garrisoning Rum with an army and moving the fleet to BLA. Rum has only two ways to Con: BLA or Bul(ec), and I'm sure you prefer BLA. As for the army, you couldn't really expect him to leave it vacant. After all, that's like turning your back and blindfolding yourself.

Some Russia-Turkey partnerships do move the fleet through Con and do so successfully. Much of the time, however, Russia, seized by unavoidable temptation, holds Con. Risky, but if it works it's the safest position for the fleet.

France did stab England, but it's a pathetically flaccid stab. He can build a fleet in Brest and make it somewhat more interesting, but without the key F GoL-Spa(sc) move, he'll still be fighting two on two at best. He needs that Mediterranean fleet to tip the scales, and the fact that Kie remains untaken means that Russia isn't really going to help him do it.

If Russia does help him, finish Italy fast and go for Russia with Austria's help. A Russia that gets big in the north is a real threat. The south Russia can always get back, but if Russia gets enough forces to defend StP everyone else is in trouble.

If Russia comes to an accomodation with England and turns south, you and Austria together can hold the fort for a while. Better still if you can talk Italy into attacking France while France is occupied up north. Then you and Austria can take the offensive against Russia.

Finally, there is the possibility that the taking of only one centre and the lack of a move by the Med fleet means that the Hol transfer was prearranged, that England would get StP and Ber so France could have Hol. This would get the rest of the board moving in the wrong direction while France/England attacked again.
An unsupported attack on Kie says to me that France was either expecting England to give it up, or they're trying to give the impression of hostilities. It's the REST of the board that says to me that France is moving agains't England - He's building up his forces in the north and ignoring Italy entirely. That leaves England and Russia as targets, and attacking Russia through Germany seems foolish - Italy should realize that if that succeeds, the France-England alliance is going to be unstoppable, and Italy should take advantage of the situation. Failing that, Italy gets crushed and *I* take advantage of the situation.

Unfortunantly Russia and Italy are making things difficult on me - Russia wants Italy and Austria crushed, while Italy wants Austria crushed and has no qualms constantly disrupting me. I think getting either of them to behave sensibly will be difficult, so I'm also *hoping* for a France-England war to buy us some time.

I'm really hoping the Russian player can be sensible and not take Con - Although he initially suggested it so that his fleet would "happen" to be in Con during the Fall. I see your point about defending Rum, though. I just get nervous having a fleet and army poised right next to me, especially during a risky-for-me move of the Russian fleet through Con. If he does take it I'll have some trouble, but I think I can retake it since my fleet hasn't had a chance to get deployed yet. Of course if he allies with Italy then I'm doomed, but no point in worrying about the unavoidable at this point.