everytime I see DND it sends me down memory lane
What was your favorite or most unique character?

Two of mine come to memory.

An ogre magi who was outcast because of not having a horn on his head, which also affected him in other ways....was always a loner, chaotic neutral, his only friend was a horse....a dragon horse. Class was ranger, and had several weapons that were capable on existing on the prime material and etherial planes at the same time those simple things alone made him a challenge for DM's to create a game for.....

A magic user....okay, if you go back and go with being able to erase a higher level spell slot and in it's place memorize multiple lesser level spells....stick with only one spell......first level spell magic missile....and the character was a quickling with all the wonderful speed....I honestly don't remember his original name because he soon developed the nickname of Machine Gun Harry and wasn't known as much else after that. By the time I got this little guy up to a decent level, we figured the effect of him attacking was more along the lines of shooting a lazer than individual missiles.

So what did some of the other imaginations out there come up with....and how many of you still have a box of DND manuals and old characters, dungeons you've drawn, Grimtooth's Book of Traps out there anywhere?

Think I'm going to go drag mine out and remenisce for awhile....
I've only gotten to play a little D&D in my time, and since almost from the beginning I had to DM I never got a chance to have any kind of really memorable character. Well, I did have an NPC who was pretty interesting, a cleric unfortunate enough to be related to the Darklord of a Ravenloft domain. That character would take too long to explain.

One interesting character run by my players was a (2E skills and powers) human fighter. He was interesting because the player's amazing cluelessness (it seriously was not intentional) led to some really funny sayings:

(to a priest in a town suffering from a plague)
"You must make a lot of money from all these coffins!"

(after killing a man in the street in broad daylight and in sight of villagers)
"Hmm... he might turn undead... I chop up the body into tiny pieces!"

(after misplacing his footwear)
"Can I wear the zombie's shoes?"

(after a cleric, who was an ally of the party, gets wounded badly)
"Where's your Lord now, bitch?!?" (I think he meant to say this out of character, but it was annoying enough that I assumed his character had said it... this led to some trouble down the road)

The fighter, whose name was "Xanatos" (this name came from some cartoon show), eventually and in an unusual fit of character development (entire character background: "He was taught kung fu by a homeless person"), swore revenge against all Mind Flayers. This was after a cannon fodder NPC who never spoke once was killed in a dungeon controlled by Mind Flayers fifteen minutes after being introduced. The NPC's name became the character's battle cry from then on: "For Hendeldorf!!!" (I'd gotten that name from an original Star Trek security guard who died after stepping on a exploding rock). In fact, Xanatos almost failed a Ravenloft powers check after helping to torture a Mind Flayer to death. (in Ravenloft, if you fail too many powers checks by doing evil deeds, you may be cursed by the "dark powers" that run the place).

The odd thing was, the character Xanatos did not know and had not even spoken to Hendledorf before the latter's untimely demise. :blink:

Tibbs