We know there's new weapons coming, it's sposed to be a big patch, major change.....has anyone thought maybe....normal....nightmare.....hell......armageddon? And a whole new level of weapons?

Just an idea....surely not though.

rascal
Probably not. Despite all of GF's claims, the secret addition probably won't be that mindblowing. I'm still willing to wager on an improved merc interface/control system.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
I've kinda hoped they'd make merc's a little better....they've got feet and hands, they should be able to wear gloves and boots....let'em wear a belt that they feed out of on their own....and since my experience is 98% single player I've often found myself trying to hold too many things and look over at my merc thinking that lazy little....&%@#@^#$!!!!! she won't help carry a thing!!!! LOL Even give'em a backpack with their own charms (maybe half the size of your characters?)
Rascal> I doubt it, and hope to not see even more power in a game that has too much to begin with.

I am hoping it is something like Guild Halls (promised for the original and for the expansion, but didn't make either), or Arena games, if it is something major.

A few new "one shot" levels (like the cows should be) would be nice as well.

Or how about the elimination of all the current known bugs, no patch has ever done that from what I recall, that would be something major. :)

The edit was to make it clear for non threaded users who I was addressing
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
I and a few others proposed a better merc interface, not through adding anything on their inventory/equip system, but rather by keyboard hotkeys to execute certain AI scripts such as defend, attack selected target, retreat, guard area etc.

Imagine: Telling a merc to attack a specific monster rather than letting them just wade in. That would kick derrieire, would it not?
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,

It appears we have a threaded view problem. I wasn't responding to the mercs, I was responding to the new difficulty and higher level items that started the thread. I'll go edit the post to clarify that.

I don't have a problem with being able to give mercs a few commands. I don't even care about having the ability to tell a merc to attack something specific. Just being able to tell a merc to stay would be enough for me (so that the damn monsters it can't do anything to but die won't kill it all the time). Or just being able to change the level of aggression more.

I really don't want to see more item slots on a merc. If they do that, you won't see the per level resist and damage bonuses that they get. I don't like that idea at all, though it isn't as bad with the ladder. If it is hard enough to get yourself good items, I don't want to try and get the merc more good crap too. Besides the killing power in the game in general is to high in my opinion. Mercs can kill pretty well right now so I don't think that aspect needs to be changed.

So, yeah, I am in agreement with NiteFox on mercs and the countless others that I have heard say they would like to give the mercs at least rudimentary commands. My other post was just some other ideas that could be implemented as well.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Hi,

Although I like your idea, when in battle I hate to pound the keyboard like an organist playing a Bach canon :) And with the sloppy interface of D2, I have a hard enough time getting my character to target a specific monster, so adding that ability for a merc would do little for me.

I'd be more than happy with just a "save yourself" key that lets the merc get out of harm's way, but with the path finding algorithm in D2, he'd probably do that by trying to run through the biggest baddest bunch of monsters around ;)

And I *don't* want to have to control 2 characters. Maybe it's my aging reflexes, but I don't think I could handle that in most combats.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Amen to those who hope for a switch that allows us to leave the Merc in Town now and again.

Merc would hang out in the following places:

Act I: Next to Gheed's wagon (Mercs like to gamble, eh?)
Act II: Atma's Tavern! You go and pull them out of the tavern for their next mission
Act III: Hanging out with Natalya, or 'sittin on the dock of the bay' near Meshif's boat.
Act IV: Standing in front of the fire place near Tyrael, keeping their hands warm . . .
Act V: Shooting the Breeze with the Rabbit Cooking Barbarian in the l ower right corner.

I am dreaming, I am sure some people would whine about having to walk that far to retrieve, but if the Park Switch was available via the "O" key Merc display, you could just "unpark" and merc would come and find you. :)

Like I said, I guess I am probably dreaming.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I like the idea. Whenever I see any aura enchanted boss, I know I just lost another 50K.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

An idea I proposed a while back was a little more simplified than getting mercs to go after a specific target (I doubt individual targeting will ever happen for D2 Mercs actually).

CTRL A: Agressive behaviour - Merc makes frequent AI checks and engages the nearest target regardless of whether your character moves around or not.
CTRL D: Defensive behaviour - Moves away from immediate danger to attack at range or wait for further instructions. Current Rogue AI - Only useful to Act 2/5 mercs to pull them clear from a fight.
CTRL S: Standard behaviour - Merc operates as per normal.
CTRL F: Flee - Merc sacrifices one of your TP scrolls and portals to town to wait for you.

Note that all the above effects use things already in the game in some shape or form and the keys I suggest are all in one place on the keyboard. ;)
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
Ah yes, it was you that thought up the control system WarBlade. I remember now.

Still, leaving them in town would be cool. And perhaps in multiplayer games any left mercs might, say, spar with each other. Should be interesting to watch.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,

I'd even be satisfied with a "Don't be an idiot!" button that would keep them from charging head first into a group and dying or running off and bringing other monsters right to you. :blink:
Play 7L!
Quote:I am dreaming, I am sure some people would whine about having to walk that far to retrieve, but if the Park Switch was available via the "O" key Merc display, you could just "unpark" and merc would come and find you.

Mmmmm auto-valeting merc.... yum.....
True, true...
Merc behavior is definitely one of the most annoying aspects of the game. Well from a single player point of view, where you don't have to worry about hacks etc.
Example: Left half of screen -> full of greater hellspawn; Rogue merc off to the right, firing happily at closest monster; hellspawn get closer to merc, but definitely not into melee range; Rogue stops shooting and charges...what a waste, she was such a pretty girl :(

Nuur
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
I understand your feelings about not wanting more power added into the game, would still be fun to be able to just add gloves and boots......honestly, I think my biggest gripe about mercs that I'd like changed, is that there isn't really a sword and shield one...I know, there is, but they're spell casters and don't really fight hand to hand.....I'd be really happy if they'd let the barb merc's carry a shield.
rascal,Feb 27 2003, 02:51 AM Wrote:I'd be really happy if they'd let the barb merc's carry a shield.
I'd be happy with dual-wielding barbs but would be overpowered. :P
well has anyone thought of telling blizzard this?
if blizard doesn't put it i the soon-to-come updates(patches) then we might see it in Diablo 3. That is assuming there will be a diablo 3 and that blizzard care to do this which i fairly sure they do care.

but i do like the ideas I also would like to see better mercs and bigger stashes or assembly halls did you call them? well whatever i'd like to see it happen! :D

EDIT: tell to telling