Searching the old forums
Since the old forums are all archived now, could the search function over there be set to "Also search the archived threads?" by default?

It's not that big of a deal to go back and mark the box, but it was something that I noticed just now when I was trying to dig up some old info.
Don't worry. You won't feel a thing...until I jam this down your throat!
-Dr. Nick Riviera

Have you read the FAQ, Etiquette, or the Rules yet?
Done. Also rephrased it a bit to make it clearer that the whole forum is an archive, so archives need to be searched.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
I just checked out the older forums again, and I just wanted to let you know that if the box is unchecked, that no topics show up. Just me messing around over there ^_^
-Dr. Nick Riviera

Well, of course. Other than the archives, each forum only has one post (the "this forum is closed" post).

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
I know. I was just playing around to see what else I could screw up over there. I love being difficult! ;)
-Dr. Nick Riviera

Bolty,

Sorry if this was mentioned before...

Is there a link to the old forums somewhere where I can easily find it?

I know its something like forum/cgi-bin/forum.cgi something or other...

If not... perhaps its worth adding another pseudo forum button in the newe forums that just links there.
Mmm, this was a problem also with the old, old forums (back when they were hosted off site). I really don't have a link to the older forums anywhere at the LL except the history page.

Not sure where to keep more links. Maybe I'll add them to the forum FAQ. Yeah, that would be a good place. Thanks!

-Bolty
This isn't a reply, per say, it's more of a heads-up. And since I was the one that started this thread, I don't think I'll mind the hi-jack ;)

Anyway, LavCat mentioned in one of the other posts that he tried to find something in the old forums but he was having problems. I tried to find it too (since I knew which post he was talking about) and I noticed something peculiar. It looks like most of the "newer" posts have vanished. All of the threads that I could find are dated around 2001 (most in the months of April - June). I thought that maybe it was just a keyword problem, so I tried a search that was successful just a few days ago. Result? Zilch. The post that I found then is now gone too.

Could this be related to the SQL problem over the weekend?

Also, digging around some more, it looks like the old D1 forum was "untouched" by this mysterious, um, mystery. Don't know if that little tidbit helps, but you can never have too much data! :)
-Dr. Nick Riviera

I wouldn't be surprised if the forum software has corrupted so many threads that it's become useless...but I will take a look at it. Don't have much time to at the moment, so please give me a few days.

-Bolty
Bolty,Mar 5 2003, 09:35 PM Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if the forum software has corrupted so many threads that it's become useless...but I will take a look at it.  Don't have much time to at the moment, so please give me a few days.

-Bolty
No rush. Just thought you should know.

Thanks again for putting up with us (me especially :lol:) and all of these incidents. You've got the patience of, um, something with a lot of patience.
-Dr. Nick Riviera

The patience of a cow...? A turtle...?

I have it! The patience of a forum moderator+3!
A plague of exploding high-fives.
The old forums archieve seems to just have a few pages, and only from like june 2001. Where are newer posts?
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
You'd think that with the forums shut down and no posting allowed, the threads couldn't possibly become corrupted.

Well, they still are. So the database got out of sync again, and made posts invisible.

I hate that forum software...anyhow, should be fixed again, for who knows how long.

-Bolty
Striker,Mar 5 2003, 05:29 AM Wrote:Anyway, LavCat mentioned in one of the other posts that he tried to find something in the old forums but he was having problems.  I tried to find it too (since I knew which post he was talking about) and I noticed something peculiar.  It looks like most of the "newer" posts have vanished.
Some of the old forum achives seem to have returned -- thanks, Bolty! I (a "she", by the way) found the missing missing Inifuss post post tonight. I could not find anything under "Workshop" though. Not a single archived post!

I also figured out why I had been having such a hard time with the *new* forum software. Sadly it does not seem designed for Netscape, at least not version 4.08 that I use. I discovered I could actually *read* the posts if I used IE 6. With the imaginative black text on ebony background, I thought I must have stumbled onto some back pages of diabloii.net.