Iraqi Oil
kandrathe,Nov 11 2005, 03:21 PM Wrote:<snip>

But, I'm confident that if any of the other strategically important import sources were threatened, the US would act to insure their availability.&nbsp; Would you expect them (or any nation) to act otherwise?
[right][snapback]94607[/snapback][/right]

A key point, that one. Any nation with the ability (power) to act, when vital resources are threatened, will. The power to act doesn't always mean military intervention either. Most of the World's wars fought throughout history have been fought for control of the world's resources.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Occhidiangela,Nov 11 2005, 07:25 PM Wrote:You will note that WJ Clinton was not president on 8 March 2001.&nbsp; What else do you have wrong in your citation?&nbsp; Not sure, a lot of it looks familiar, and none of it is news. [...]
I note that you don't comment on Central Asian oil, Russian Oil, Venezuelan and Canadian oil, nor France's multi billion dollar projects (ELF) in Iraq at and around 2003.&nbsp; It's a bigger picture than the Persian Gulf and Donald Rumsfeld.
[right][snapback]94579[/snapback][/right]
Oops. Bugger. I didn't cite correctly. What should have read '26th of January 1998; as printed 8th of March 2001 in the Washington Times' became 'March 8, 2001'. Sorry about that.

See, I'm not really commenting here. I know that there are several other players in this game, and it might sound unfair to deal with only one, but I just found this article and thought I'd share.

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
jahcs,Nov 12 2005, 12:49 AM Wrote:The power to act doesn't always mean military intervention either.
[right][snapback]94608[/snapback][/right]
Right. The now redeemed government of ours (Germany) performed a more or less intelligent plan to get away from oil, and the dependency thereof. We'll see how the new government is doing. This of course isn't attachable to all resources, you have to bank on something. But if one resource is 'put under hazard' for what seems to be ages, then such a strategy may pay off. What are the oil delivering countries gonna do when oils isn't demanded the way it is today any more?

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
jahcs,Nov 11 2005, 05:49 PM Wrote:The power to act doesn't always mean military intervention either.
[right][snapback]94608[/snapback][/right]

You win a free +1 mana grand charm. Now, go tell Paul Wolfowitz and any fool who listened to him. :angry: You are free to barge into his new office at the World Bank, spit in his coffee, and rub cigar ashes into his carpet. Tell him The Rogue sent you.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete