In Need Of Some Diablo Ii Humor?
I usually pay no heed to DiabloII.net, but I happened to skim by it today, and noticed that Flux has written a new Valentine's Day story, and thought I'd share it. I've also included links to the Thanksgiving and Christmas stories, as well. Definitely worth reading. Take some time and read some of Flux's columns (Flux's Decahedron) while you're over there. Turns out Flux is a pretty funny guy ^_^

And, for something totally unrelated, apparently there's ANOTHER new console coming out. As if we didn't have enough of the damned things already. Apparently called The Phantom (IMO, that's worse than Dreamcast for a name), it's made by some obscure company formed of verteran entrepeneurs. My bet is that it'll fail even more rapidly than Microsoft's Xbox, but I guess we'll have to wait. You can find information on it here, or at www.infiniumlabs.com.

The Thanksgiving Story (Read First)

The Christmas Story (Read Second)

The Valentine's Day Story
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Artega,Feb 19 2003, 05:56 PM Wrote:And, for something totally unrelated, apparently there's ANOTHER new console coming out.  As if we didn't have enough of the damned things already.  Apparently called The Phantom (IMO, that's worse than Dreamcast for a name), it's made by some obscure company formed of verteran entrepeneurs.  My bet is that it'll fail even more rapidly than Microsoft's Xbox, but I guess we'll have to wait.  You can find information on it here, or at www.infiniumlabs.com.
I heard about the Phantom when PA did a comic on it. I'll drop in the link (it was HILARIOUS! BTW - Did anyone see Monday's PA? The facial expressions on Gabe still crack me up; there's another PA of recent note that I simply could NOT stop laughing about, namely the one where Gabe gets pissed about the lack of Mechassault content, and Tycho teases him; "Oh? Uh oh! Here comes the lip." God, how much I STILL laugh over that punchline). Personally, I viewed the site for all of 10 minutes, moved on, and never gave it a second thought. Just like I'll do with the system. It is, for all intents and purposes, bound to fail. I find that strangely saddening.

While I envision the day when MS finally loses the console race, it's disheartening to know that only Sony and Nintendo are left for the console race. I remember the days of Atari Jaguar, Panasonic Real 3DO, and the like. Revolutionary systems that, quite simply, did not catch on. Are we better off for it? Maybe, maybe not. Personally, I think we deprived ourselves of some damn good gaming. In the end, maybe it doesn't matter, but I have to wonder. Will it be the same with this? Time will tell...

PA Links:
Dude, Whoa (a.k.a. Phantom)
Discontent (a.k.a. The Lip)
Roland *The Gunslinger*
If MS lose the console war, then we could very well see a return to the old days of Sega Vs. Nintendo - Two big consoles, with a lot of little, forgotten ones vieing for supremacy below them. I'm not sure if it was better or worse than things are right now, as I refuse to allow my memories to cloud my judgement, but I will say that things were a helluva lot simpler back then...

Ah, PA. One of the few things that have kept me sane in the last few years. Tycho's facial expressions in this strip still crack me up.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
I have distinct feeling Microsoft won't lose the console race...

The reason PS beat Nintendo boiled down to money, Sony could throw a lot more money at developers then Nintendo could. Sony also got very arrogant, and tends to demand royalties and wants the license to any game made on PS (Twisted Metal, for instance, they took the license from singletrac). Coupled with Square Soft's defection to PS, they had it made. I imagine one could find links talking about this...

Now Microsoft throws its hat in the ring, able to put money out that puts Sony to shame, Square and Sony are already having a bit of a spat, and Microsoft is buying out any good company who is selling. If Microsoft buys Vivendi (more like when to me honestly), Sony is gonna be really screwed. Nintendo will always have the developer games (Metroid, Mario, etc), but Sony lives and dies off of its 3rd party games.

As for Sega, Sega I believe is now strictly making games and out of the console war. They tend to be leaning towards Microsoft, which could be a big catch for Microsoft.
I have to strongly concur with Cybit.

The "console race" is all about money, who supports the most advanced technology best, and who gets a bit lucky. Mostly it has to do with the money though.

MS obviously has the most money to throw around and seems supremely dedicated to making the console, above and beyond just profitable, a winner. Buying up Bungie, Rare, etc. to make exclusives for you certainly helps your cause a lot. When was the last time Sony bought a major development company?

Right now the latest console technology is multiplayer Internet gaming, and XBox supports it the best of the major three consoles. It also has a HD (which, admittedly has yet to be properly utilized), is the most powerful by a large margin, and is the easiest to program for. All of which developers like.

All XBox needs to really, really explode is a little luck to swing its way.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Nitefox,Feb 20 2003, 05:16 AM Wrote:If MS lose the console war, then we could very well see a return to the old days of Sega Vs. Nintendo - Two big consoles, with a lot of little, forgotten ones vieing for supremacy below them.  I'm not sure if it was better or worse than things are right now, as I refuse to allow my memories to cloud my judgement, but I will say that things were a helluva lot simpler back then...

Ah, PA.  One of the few things that have kept me sane in the last few years.  Tycho's facial expressions in this strip still crack me up.
With Sega out of the picture, it's only Sony versus Nintendo. Frankly, I'll stick with Nintendo. ;)

As for facial expressions, that WAS hilarious. But not quite as funny as this. ;)
Roland *The Gunslinger*