Master Of Orion Iii
Well,
Moo3 is weird. My first whole day with it was on Saturday, and it felt like a real let down. However once I stopped trying to play it like MOO2 it has become very intriguing (some mods helped that out, a nice one that reprioritises messages, and I'm about to start a new game with an AI mod so that it actually attacks :P )
I agree. ;)

I hated it for about ten hours, but kept playing because there are fun ideas in there. I love the ground combat (probably because it's so much more detailed that the old MOO ship over your population and now they're soldiers ground combat). I still don't like the space combat. The real-time switch and the large maps are annoying ... sometimes you spend two minutes just hunting down a ship on the overly large map.

Now, after spending several days playing, I can see it's sort of fun. I don't like that modifier, but it's really not full-blown fun. I could easily put it down and never play it again, because it's just not interesting to play. The problem is, I keep thinking it's fun when I'm NOT playing. :lol: Yep, I'm confused.

Yeah, the mods are really great. I've been using them since the first day I got the game. In my opinion, the game is unplayable without the mods. The SitRep mod (I'm guessing that's what you're talking about) is really great. I wouldn't be able to play without it. I recommend the technology mods too, especially the one by kalbear with the tech levels, because otherwise you're not going to know what you're trading away to the computer (that is, if the computer wants to trade tech, but that's another story).
I'm trying to stay away from the forums... I seem to be spending more time there than playing the game ;-)

The tech deal is screwy, I ask for a low level tech, offer three high level, and no luck :( Damn those psilon neighbors!
Yeah, the deal with tech trades is you need to find something the computer doesn't have in their tech matrix. They won't trade techs for something they can eventually research (so high tech/low tech trades won't work.) Just search through their tech matrix and see if they're missing any important techs (the computer seems to like miniturization techs.)

And I've spent more time on the forums than in game too. :D