How To View Threads
OK, I like viewing threads in a threaded form. However, doing so it seems I can only see one post at a time, having to click each one in turn. Is that really true? That is simply way annoying and stupid. Or have I missed something? Like a "view all" button or setting?
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Jarulf,Feb 15 2003, 03:15 AM Wrote:OK, I like viewing threads in a threaded form. However, doing so it seems I can only see one post at a time, having to click each one in turn. Is that really true? That is simply way annoying and stupid. Or have I missed something? Like a "view all" button or setting?
As "great" as this forum software is (personally, I don't see what the big deal is over DCForum; but then, I'm not an admin, and supposedly it's FAR easier for the admins with this board than DCForum, along with this forum not eating posts randomly and deleting accounts, so I guess I wouldn't see "the big deal"), that is one thing I truly miss. The "threaded" view that this forum has, well, just plain sucks. If I recall correctly, Bolty said the forum (by default) did NOT support threaded views, but that it could with a hack he installed. It would seem this hack is half-rated (literally), providing only a portion of what a "true" threaded view is supposed to be.

DCForum spoiled us with its great threaded view, I suppose, but it did have its flaws (as we soon found out). Although I'm sure this board is much better (despite not seeing any real improvements, and only additional flaws), I wonder at what price. But, in the end, despite how it's us who have to view the forum, it's the admins who have to deal with the forum in its entirety. So, despite how I will miss that old threaded view (until such time that a REAL threaded view is available for this forum), it's not really enough reason to go back (yet).

Bolty? Any thoughts on the threaded views? Are there other such hacks available? Is this hack being worked on and improved? Will this forum software support TRUE threaded view in a future release?
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Bolty's reply in another thread
Hugs are good, but smashing is better! - Clarence<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
Here's to hoping we get what we want. ;) And to hoping Bolty doesn't go out of his mind from any complaints. ;)
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Roland,Feb 15 2003, 09:08 AM Wrote:Here's to hoping we get what we want. ;) And to hoping Bolty doesn't go out of his mind from any complaints. ;)
Simply put, there is no forum software out there that handles threaded views as well as DCForum. We've all gotten spoiled on it. But otherwise, DCForum is a server hog, in space, resources, CPU usage, etc - not to mention its instability.

It's possible that threaded view hacks for this software will get better - this is still a relatively young forum software program. In the meantime, we'll have to adjust. <_<

Yeah, it's not as good for threaded viewing, but there are so many extra goodies. I really love the "View New Posts" button.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
On that note....

Are/should people be hounding others that elect to read in a non-threaded form?

E.G, they use non-threaded, and make a reply with cut and pasted quotes, but the reply does not fall as a sub-thread

Personally, for now I would much rather work with non-threaded than viewing things one post at a time, but this manner of responding may be "confusing" or defeating-the-point for threaded viewers.

On top of that, I'm confused about how to even get a post as sub-thread of X thread and not Y...
FoxBat,Feb 15 2003, 02:28 PM Wrote:Personally, for now I would much rather work with non-threaded than viewing things one post at a time, but this manner of responding may be "confusing" or defeating-the-point for threaded viewers.

On top of that, I'm confused about how to even get a post as sub-thread of X thread and not Y...
Well, just use the small "Quote" and "Reply" buttons along the top bar of each particular post. This will put the reply under the tree of the post you're responding to.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
We've always had people who don't follow the rules when it comes to the threaded view, though, even on the old forum. That's just a fact of life within forums, heh.
Well, then I would sugest that in threaded mode, in addition to the thread at the bottom the message part still shows all posts just as in the normal mode. As it is now you can either lok at the thread, or look at the messages. Looking at the messages often gives you no clue what post is in reply to what other post and so on. You then have to click back to the thread post, looking at it, hoping you remembered which posts you wondered about. Then click back again. This new way you would "only" have to scroll down, much easier and faster.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.