"Taken" movie question
**SPOILERS**

***DON'T LOOK ANY FURTHER***

I just saw this movie last night and there was something that bothered me about it right off the bat. For those of you who saw it, did you find it a bit unrealistic that the human traffickers would use the same airport over and over, and the same person nonetheless? Sure, they had some deal with the French police, however any international agency monitoring disappearances within their country would surly note "X" amount of people disappeared from said airport within the last few weeks and do an investigation, which of course might lead back to the crooked police in the first place - so the whole deal itself makes little sense. I think real human traffickers would use different air ports and buss/train stations constantly, never the same place twice in a given month for the obvious reasons, and would be always changing their contact man. I don't know, I just found that part of the move to be totally unrealistic, which would have dragged down the rest of the movie for me had I not already checked my brain at the door. I understand however that it was needed to move the plot forward else the rogue CIA agent would not have been able to progress in the story.

Thoughts?
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
I saw this movie in the theatres. My impression was that they creators had half a script and a handful of ideas for scenes in which Liam Neeson could be a badass and figured that would be enough. Whether the issue was with the script, director, or editing the final product ended up more an incoherant hodgepodge of scenes then a complete narrative as if they just showed a "best of" compilation of scenes from what was originally a larger whole.

Somewhere along the line of production the creators lost all respect and confidence in the audience that they could sit still long enough for something more than a music video version of something that could have been much greater.
(05-04-2010, 07:18 PM)MEAT Wrote: had I not already checked my brain at the door

I lament the fact that I didn't Sad. After the scene with Liam and the contact guy a string of more highly improbably scenes came rushing at me until my brain just shut down and played some elevator music.

At least the movie told us that Arabs are bad, mkay. And, to some extent, the French as well. Should be required watching in schools maybe. Right.

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
(05-05-2010, 03:59 PM)NuurAbSaal Wrote: I lament the fact that I didn't Sad.

Heh, I usually try to do this with most movies nowadays. Tom Clancy was one in a million it seems, although there were many aspects of the Bourne Identity series I felt were well played. I try not to be too much of a perfectionist when it comes to movies, however I almost got really upset when watching The Hangover when the police let them go, because I knew that would never happen in 1,000-years, but I took a deep breath and just enjoyed the rest of the movie ~ stupid college-type humor at its best.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
I think it is fair to say that in almost any given movie you will find a completely implausible and ridiculous plotline/situation. I have learned to just go with it for the most part.
Ziig (Warrior) - Ako (Hunter) - Amo (Paladin) - Ziade (Monk) - Ziag (DK)
(05-07-2010, 07:24 AM)vii Wrote: I think it is fair to say that in almost any given movie you will find a completely implausible and ridiculous plotline/situation. I have learned to just go with it for the most part.

If you mean "action movie", I agree. But there are magnitudes of BS that can swiftly remove any enjoyment I might get out of a movie.

Example: "2013"
While I can generally live with the hero(es) surviving the odd situation by a few seconds/inches/whatever, if this happens in EVERY SCENE, it gets old fast. Hm, "Taken" also fits this bill, come to think of it.

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.