A sign of the times
Hi,

I was just flipping through my TiVo Now Playing List to see what I'd captured overnight and to clear out the deadwood. The description on one of the Law & Order episodes didn't ring a bell, so I started it. The first thing I saw, as I have countless times before, was white letters on a back background saying, "The following story is fictional and does not depict any actual person or event."

Bad enough that the statement is redundant, but have we, as a society, really gotten so brain dead that we can no longer distinguish between fact and fiction? I've watched quiz shows where Horatio Hornblower was given as a famous English admiral of the Napoleonic wars. On a Family Feud, in the category of 'Name a famous marine', both John Wayne and Gomer Pyle where among the right answers -- and IIRC Wayne was at the top.

Brown's The DaVinci Code and to a lesser extent his Angels & Demons have raised a storm of controversy in spite of being fiction. While they are a fun action adventure read (or watch, if you prefer the movie) the 'history' they are based on is actually mangled beyond belief. Not to mention they are poorly written -- but that's another rant.

I'm not sure why I'm posting this, other than to vent. Maybe I should start a blog. But, am I the only one who is bothered by the blurring of fact and fiction? Disturbed by people who think 'reality' shows are real? Upset that so many think professional wrestling isn't faked?

--Pete

Next time: all the things wrong with "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear". Wink

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

(05-11-2010, 05:27 PM)--Pete Wrote: But, am I the only one who is bothered by the blurring of fact and fiction? Disturbed by people who think 'reality' shows are real? Upset that so many think professional wrestling isn't faked?
Yes, yes, no. "Professional Wrestling" is real in that it has always been a staged performance, but I think people often have the misunderstanding that it is wrestling. It is in fact, a violent testosterone fueled reality soap opera. The main theme is repeated, weekly, but the parts are juggled around to keep things more interesting.

I would say that Fred Thompson plays a convincing role, whether it be Senator in reality, or Prosecutor in the fictional world. Now he has become ethereal on Westwood One... http://fredthompsonshow.com/
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

(05-11-2010, 05:27 PM)--Pete Wrote: Hi,

I was just flipping through my TiVo Now Playing List to see what I'd captured overnight and to clear out the deadwood. The description on one of the Law & Order episodes didn't ring a bell, so I started it. The first thing I saw, as I have countless times before, was white letters on a back background saying, "The following story is fictional and does not depict any actual person or event."

--Pete

Hi, Pete Smile

I will let the cut & paste quotes below reply to your post Pete Idea

Quote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_persons...disclaimer

All persons fictitious disclaimer:

An all persons fictitious disclaimer is a disclaimer in which a work of fictional media states that all persons portrayed in it are completely fictitious. This is done so to avoid the possibility of legal action for libel; i.e. if a person believes that he or she receives unfair portrayal in a fictitious work (either under their real name or a made-up name), the possibility of legal action is open to them.

Such a disclaimer often reads similarly to the following:

All characters appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
The wording of this particular disclaimer differs from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, and in particular from country to country, as does its legal effectiveness.

The disclaimer originated with the 1932 MGM movie, Rasputin and the Empress, which insinuated that the character Princess Natasha had been raped by Rasputin. Natasha's character was supposedly intended to represent Princess Irina of Russia, and the real Princess Irina sued MGM for libel. After seeing the film twice, the jury agreed that the princess had been defamed. Since this suit, many movies have used the disclaimer to protect themselves from court action.

Quote:http://www.wattpad.com/112671-funny-movie-disclaimers

Funny movie disclaimers:

"The persons and events in this production are fictitious. No
similarity to actual persons or predators, living or dead, is
intended or should be inferred." - Pitch Black (2000)

"Any resemblance to persons living, dead, or reincarnated is
purely coincidental." - What Dreams May Come (1998)

"Any similarity with persons living or dead is an accident.
Sorry." - Bad Taste (1987)

"No animals were injured during the making of this film,
although some rabbits did have their feelings hurt."
- Happy, Texas (1999)

"All characters portrayed in this film are entirely fictitious and
bare no resemblance to anyone living or dead, except for
one." - Jabberwocky (1977)

"Any references to any religious organization is purely coincidental,
and no actual Mormons were used or abused in the
filming of this picture." - Orgazmo (1997)

"No real reapers were hurt during the making of this film."
- Blade II (2002)

"No Canadians were harmed in this production."
- Canadian Bacon (1995)

"The following stunts were performed by professionals, so for
your safety and the protection of those around you,
Paramount Pictures and MTV Films insist that neither you or
your dumb little buddies attempt any of what you're about to
see." - Jackass: The Movie (2002)

"Beavis and Butthead are not real people, in fact they are not
even human. They are cartoons. Some of the things they do
can cause a person to get hurt, injured, expelled, arrested,
and possibly deported. To put it in another way, don't try this
at home." - Beavis and Butthead Do America (1996)

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
Hi,

(05-11-2010, 07:49 PM)kandrathe Wrote: "Professional Wrestling" is real in that it has always been a staged performance, but I think people often have the misunderstanding that it is wrestling. It is in fact, a violent testosterone fueled reality soap opera. The main theme is repeated, weekly, but the parts are juggled around to keep things more interesting.

Yes, but my problem isn't with professional wrestling, it's with the people who think that it is real in the sense of actual, spontaneous actions. It is not uncommon to read about someone (most often a teenager) who has gotten hurt or hurt someone attempting to duplicate an action he didn't realize was a stunt.

Quote:I would say that Fred Thompson plays a convincing role, whether it be Senator in reality, or Prosecutor in the fictional world.

I'd infinitely rather he be in Law & Order (where his extreme right wing view can be laughed off) than in the Senate. But you do bring up a good point. Would he have ever, even briefly, been a contender for the Presidency as a Senator? Maybe, maybe not. But it was as Arthur Branch that he gained national exposure.

We seem to be getting a fair number of media people in politics recently. From B-movie actors who become presidents to body builders who become governors. Some have done well, others are disasters. Their performance is pretty much in line with the average, so how did they get elected? I think that in many cases (not Thompson) it is because the perception of ability and intelligence they convey while mouthing someone else's words carries over from the fictional to the real.

Ah, well. Perhaps in this day, actors do make the best politicians. They're usually photogenic, most can fake sincerity, and they're used to dancing to someone else's tune.

--Pete

(05-11-2010, 09:01 PM)--Pete Wrote: Yes, but my problem isn't with professional wrestling, it's with the people who think that it is real in the sense of actual, spontaneous actions. It is not uncommon to read about someone (most often a teenager) who has gotten hurt or hurt someone attempting to duplicate an action he didn't realize was a stunt.
But, who hasn't attempted to jump their bicycle across a set of ramps in emulation of Mr. Knievel? I don't ever remember donning a cape and attempting to take to the skies like some super hero. At some point, you are right, there is a separation between what is rational, and what is ludicrous. And, it appears with the preponderance of "entertainment" saturating our lives that more and more people have embraced the ludicrous as rational.

"A total of 1133 13-15-year-old pupils in six secondary schools in South Wales were invited to complete questions concerning vampire belief and amount of television watching. The data demonstrate that belief in vampires was positively associated with higher levels of television watching. "

How many believed that Martians were attacking October 30, 1938?

For King Jim;

The movie "Backfire" (1995) says "No mimes were injured in
the making of this motion picture. Furs were not worn. All
catering was strictly vegetarian. Filmed entirely in a
non-smoking area. All females were referred to as "women".
White males were considered suspect and made to feel guilty.
Condoms were worn at all times."
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

When you put in the "bonus material" disc from the the DVD set I have for the movie "Fight Club", a red interpol-style warning comes up for a few seconds before the menu appears (which is quite common with movies, so most people just ignore it). This one starts out "Warning: If you are reading this warning then this warning is for you...". It goes away too fast for me to be able to read the rest of it, and I haven't been motivated enough to do anything to find out what the rest of it says. Smile

Hehe. Found the text online:

WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you
read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't
you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly
can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so
impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who
claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think
everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should
want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex.
Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a
fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will
become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
<span style="color:red">Terenas (PvE)
Xarhud: Lvl 80 Undead Priest
Meltok: Lvl 70 Undead Mage
Ishila: Lvl 31 Tauren Druid
Tynaria: Lvl 66 Blood Elf Rogue
(05-11-2010, 09:21 PM)kandrathe Wrote:
(05-11-2010, 09:01 PM)--Pete Wrote: Yes, but my problem isn't with professional wrestling, it's with the people who think that it is real in the sense of actual, spontaneous actions. It is not uncommon to read about someone (most often a teenager) who has gotten hurt or hurt someone attempting to duplicate an action he didn't realize was a stunt.
But, who hasn't attempted to jump their bicycle across a set of ramps in emulation of Mr. Knievel? I don't ever remember donning a cape and attempting to take to the skies like some super hero. At some point, you are right, there is a separation between what is rational, and what is ludicrous. And, it appears with the preponderance of "entertainment" saturating our lives that more and more people have embraced the ludicrous as rational.

For King Jim;
The movie "Backfire" (1995) says "No mimes were injured in the making of this motion picture.
Hi, Smile

I see your Backfire & raise you with Jackass Exclamation

Quote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackass_(TV...ontroversy
Controversy:
Since the first episode, Jackass frequently featured warnings and disclaimers noting that the stunts performed were dangerous and should not be imitated, and that recordings of any stunts would not be aired on MTV.
Such warnings not only appeared before and after each program and after each commercial break, but also in a "crawl" that ran along the bottom of the screen during some especially risky stunts, as well as showing their 'skull and crutches logo' at the bottom right of the screen to symbolize the stunt performed as risky.

Nevertheless, the program has been blamed for a number of deaths and injuries involving teens and children recreating the stunts.

[Image: Jackass-title.jpg]

What happens when pre-pubescent, hormonal and “invincible” young boys watch a show like “Jackass?“ In 2001, a small town in Connecticut found out when 13-year-old Jason Lind and his two friends attempted to recreate a stunt performed by Johnny Knoxville on an episode of “Jackass” just a few nights prior. The stunt as performed by Knoxville involved donning a fire retardant suit with steaks hanging from it and grilling them over a massive barbecue. Lind only took from such a stunt that lighting another person on fire is funny, and thus he and his friends poured gasoline on his feet and legs and lit him on fire. Rushed to the hospital with third degree burns, Lind was placed in the burn unit under critical condition and one of his friends was arrested for reckless endangerment.

--Pete

Next time: all the things wrong with "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear". Wink

As Jim pointed out, it's a CYA for the show. Because America really is that sue happy (when 70% of the Lawyer population of the world represents 5% of the popuplation of the world...yeah...)
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Quote:What happens when pre-pubescent, hormonal and “invincible” young boys watch a show like “Jackass?“ In 2001, a small town in Connecticut found out when 13-year-old Jason Lind and his two friends attempted to recreate a stunt performed by Johnny Knoxville on an episode of “Jackass” just a few nights prior. The stunt as performed by Knoxville involved donning a fire retardant suit with steaks hanging from it and grilling them over a massive barbecue. Lind only took from such a stunt that lighting another person on fire is funny, and thus he and his friends poured gasoline on his feet and legs and lit him on fire. Rushed to the hospital with third degree burns, Lind was placed in the burn unit under critical condition and one of his friends was arrested for reckless endangerment.
It's a shame he didn't kill himself and improve the human gene pool.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
A comedian once said that it is about time to remove directions from shampoo bottles.
Hi,

(05-12-2010, 04:11 AM)DeeBye Wrote: A comedian once said that it is about time to remove directions from shampoo bottles.

Oh, I hope not. Think of all those obedient morons trapped in their shower by the endless loop of "wash, rinse, repeat". Do you really want them out and about? Tongue

--Pete

Quote:A comedian once said that it is about time to remove directions from shampoo bottles.

That reminds me of the part in So Long and Thanks for All the Fish where Wonko was explaining that he decided the world was insane when he discovered instructions on how to use a toothpick. I thought Adams had made up the idea toothpick instructions until a few years ago, when I actually saw some written on a box of toothpicks.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
(05-12-2010, 04:29 AM)--Pete Wrote: Hi,

Oh, I hope not. Think of all those obedient morons trapped in their shower by the endless loop of "wash, rinse, repeat". Do you really want them out and about? Tongue

--Pete

This was an old joke amongst programmers. I never found it funny.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
(05-11-2010, 09:21 PM)kandrathe Wrote: How many believed that Martians were attacking October 30, 1938?
Hi, Rolleyes

Two War of the Worlds movies were made both are great to watch.

Too many believed that Martians were attacking October 30, 1938. I often wonder IF I would have believed. Listen to the original Broadcast Idea

Quote:Listen to the original "The War of the Worlds" broadcast in RealAudio

In the fall of 1938, genius extraordinaire Orson Welles, then master of broadcast theatre production for the Columbia Broadcasting System, produced and starred in an exciting on-air dramatization by Howard Koch, based on author H.G. Wells' classic science-fiction "The War of the Worlds" as part of the Mercury Theatre's Halloween offering.

The play was aired on the 30th, the day before Halloween.

Big mistake. http://www.mercurytheatre.info/

Quote:Read the original New York Times Article regarding the broadcast.

The Original New York Times Article
October 31, 1938
A wave of mass hysteria seized thousands of radio listeners between 8:15 and 9:30 o'clock last night when a broadcast of a dramatization of H. G. Wells's fantasy, "The War of the Worlds," led thousands to believe that an interplanetary conflict had started with invading Martians spreading wide death and destruction in New Jersey and New York.

(05-11-2010, 09:21 PM)kandrathe Wrote: "A total of 1133 13-15-year-old pupils in six secondary schools in South Wales were invited to complete questions concerning vampire belief and amount of television watching. The data demonstrate that belief in vampires was positively associated with higher levels of television watching. "

Yes but there is little or no folk history of vampires in the British isles, unlike the rich history of other revanents in Britain. Might be fun to replicate the experiment in a more vampire friendly country.

(05-11-2010, 09:21 PM)kandrathe Wrote: How many believed that Martians were attacking October 30, 1938?

You mean they weren't? I'm told my father ran for the hills in 1938.
(05-11-2010, 05:27 PM)--Pete Wrote: ... but have we, as a society, really gotten so brain dead that we can no longer distinguish between fact and fiction?

As Erik says towards the end of Sauna: "I know what is fiction and what is real."

I'm not sure why I'm posting this, other than to vent. Maybe I should start a blog. But, am I the only one who is bothered by the blurring of fact and fiction? Disturbed by people who think 'reality' shows are real? Upset that so many think professional wrestling isn't faked?

--Pete

I am far more disturbed by the beeping away swear words in music video's (since 5 years I am not watching them anymore).
I am disturbed by the fact that all kinds of violence can be shown on TV but a bit of nudity or normal every day life average people conversation is too much for the networks.
They are a bunch of hypocritical morons.
(05-12-2010, 04:57 AM)LennyLen Wrote:
Quote:A comedian once said that it is about time to remove directions from shampoo bottles.

That reminds me of the part in So Long and Thanks for All the Fish where Wonko was explaining that he decided the world was insane when he discovered instructions on how to use a toothpick. I thought Adams had made up the idea toothpick instructions until a few years ago, when I actually saw some written on a box of toothpicks.

A coworker of mine used to keep an individually wrapped wet-wipe from KFC in his cube for the instructions on the back: "Tear open packet. Use."
<span style="color:red">Terenas (PvE)
Xarhud: Lvl 80 Undead Priest
Meltok: Lvl 70 Undead Mage
Ishila: Lvl 31 Tauren Druid
Tynaria: Lvl 66 Blood Elf Rogue
I don't think it's too bad that Law and Order states that up front on its shows. Law and Order frequently has shows that are either based off of real events that have occurred or take aspects of real events and incorporate them into the script. An example I saw, recently, was an episode where someone walked into a coffee shop and killed 4 cops. That episode aired a couple months after the same thing actually happened in Seattle. However, the rest of the episode went off in a different tangent than how the actual event played out, so I think it was probably good that they noted that the events were fictitious just to make sure no one who knew just the basics of the real case thought the episode was more fact than fiction.

Law and Order seems to go into shades of gray between fact and fiction, so I don't think it's too unreasonable to have a disclaimer at the start of the episode.
-TheDragoon
(05-11-2010, 05:27 PM)--Pete Wrote: I'm not sure why I'm posting this, other than to vent. Maybe I should start a blog. But, am I the only one who is bothered by the blurring of fact and fiction? Disturbed by people who think 'reality' shows are real? Upset that so many think professional wrestling isn't faked?

Hi Pete

I used to get boggled by the trash that some people choose to ingest with no evidence of mastication.

My father-in-law kept a pile of tabloid newspapers by the toilet and would occasionally interject odd facts into conversations with "I don't know where I read it, but....". Dodgy

I concluded some time ago that most people would prefer fantasy to fiction, in at least some of their lives (if not most). In some cases it is laziness. In others it is a choice they make because their 'real world' just isn't interesting enough. Or, as P.T. Barnham is supposed to have said, "There is a sucker born every minute." The tricky part for me was learning not to spend energy being annoyed by the fact that their votes get counted right alongside mine. Wink
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake