The new old war in Korea
(06-04-2010, 11:30 AM)Occhidiangela Wrote: PS: I was thinking of Magi this morning. We are in College Station, son getting all registered and such to become an Aggie this fall. Current major is Nuclear Engineering department, with initial aim at radiological/health aspects of nuclear engineering. I still would rather he went to power generation, but we'll let things play out. He's gotta follow his dream.

Occhi

Good to see another starting down the NE road. I think once he sees a couple of the classes, he may change his tune, but you never know. Going down the radiation health physics road never was fun for me, was far more interesting to deal power or fusion topics.

Let me know which authors he's dealing with in some of his classes, want to see if some of the books I used 20 years ago are still being used today in other programs.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
(06-04-2010, 11:20 AM)Occhidiangela Wrote: I am sorry, Jester, but what in the name of sacred feces do you mean by "Just sinking a ship?"

North Korea already fired the first shot, ask the families of the 48 dead sailors.
I mean what I said. They sunk a ship. It's caused an international incident, and of course it's a tragedy for the sailors, and anyone who lost a relative. But it's not going to force the two sides to go to all-out war, unless North Korea makes a much larger move. Starting a war that will no doubt kill millions over 48 sailors is insane, and since nobody actually wants this war right now, it's not going to happen (yet).

The South Koreans can make their protests, go to higher levels of readiness for awhile, then once things cool down, they can go back to staring at each other across the DMZ.

-Jester

Afterthought: Thanks for the comments in the thread, it's good to hear from you again.
Quote:I am sorry, Jester, but what in the name of sacred feces do you mean by "Just sinking a ship?"

North Korea already fired the first shot, ask the families of the 48 dead sailors. FWIW, the US got all shiggy with Viet Nam over a lot less, but, this is a different situation. The lead is in Seoul. Whomever suggested that this is Obama's war is, IMO, very mistaken. It is Lee's war, if it is anyone's, though I am sure we'll help if he needs it.

The "stupid" in Obama's current wars, that he took over, is that the timeline for withdrawal in Iraq is slipping. (News article about three weeks ago, that cropped up as the post election violence in Iraq reached its predictable levels. Hopefully, someone in DC has told the Americans who made such commentary to shut up and get with the program).

Supposed to be down to 50K by 31 August. I'd rather see the withdrawal accelerated, but I am not in charge.

Why do I mention this? President Obama has constrained options vis a vis Korea while he leaves American troops stuck in the Iraq tar baby.

Occhi

I find it amusing that when Israeli soldiers kill those that are trying to kill them, the UN is right there to condemn them, while NK sinks a whole ship for no reason and the UN does nothing.
(06-04-2010, 04:25 PM)Ashock Wrote: I find it amusing that when Israeli soldiers kill those that are trying to kill them, the UN is right there to condemn them, while NK sinks a whole ship for no reason and the UN does nothing.
Ban-Ki Moon has condemned the attack, saying he shares the outrage of the international community over the matter. North Korea is already under a more or less permanent barrage of UN sanctions, and any attempt to ratchet them down or up would have to be negotiated between parties with vetos - the US and China.

What exactly were you looking for, that it would satisfy you in this matter?

-Jester
(06-04-2010, 06:10 PM)Jester Wrote:
(06-04-2010, 04:25 PM)Ashock Wrote: I find it amusing that when Israeli soldiers kill those that are trying to kill them, the UN is right there to condemn them, while NK sinks a whole ship for no reason and the UN does nothing.
Ban-Ki Moon has condemned the attack, saying he shares the outrage of the international community over the matter. North Korea is already under a more or less permanent barrage of UN sanctions, and any attempt to ratchet them down or up would have to be negotiated between parties with vetos - the US and China.

What exactly were you looking for, that it would satisfy you in this matter?

-Jester
Simply put.

Outrage and a cup of coffee gets you a cup of coffee.

Sufficient provocation for war has been committed by NK, with the deliberate sinking of the ship. SK has the option, and the justification to choose war. But it is an option, not a requirement. What SK gov't does will be what SK government thinks is in the best interests of SK.
Quote:The South Koreans can make their protests, go to higher levels of readiness for awhile, then once things cool down, they can go back to staring at each other across the DMZ.
They can do a great deal more than that, short of war. Your imagination needs some work.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
(06-12-2010, 02:28 AM)Occhidiangela Wrote: They can do a great deal more than that, short of war. Your imagination needs some work.

Occhi

Does it involve flying bovines launched by catapults? Raining frog gas? Thousands upon thousands of pounds of jellybeans and jawbreakers to trip the enemy component?
(06-16-2010, 10:10 AM)Drasca Wrote: Does it involve flying bovines launched by catapults? Raining frog gas? Thousands upon thousands of pounds of jellybeans and jawbreakers to trip the enemy component?
If anyone knows how to manage a Zergling rush it's the South Koreans.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

(06-16-2010, 10:10 AM)Drasca Wrote:
(06-12-2010, 02:28 AM)Occhidiangela Wrote: They can do a great deal more than that, short of war. Your imagination needs some work.

Occhi

Does it involve flying bovines launched by catapults? Raining frog gas? Thousands upon thousands of pounds of jellybeans and jawbreakers to trip the enemy component?

Think caltrops ...
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
(06-27-2010, 12:55 AM)Occhidiangela Wrote:

Occhi

Think caltrops ...

Flying bovines launched by catapults to trip the enemy.

Cowtrops.
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
(06-28-2010, 11:34 AM)Bun-Bun Wrote:
(06-27-2010, 12:55 AM)Occhidiangela Wrote:

Occhi
Think caltrops ...
Flying bovines launched by catapults to trip the enemy.
Cowtrops.
Makes me think of my farm days, less lethal for the cows, and more slippery for troops running through the fields...

Cowplops
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]