Does anyone here still use my DSF Glossary website?
Greetings to all my 'old' Diablo friends. :)

Although I haven't been motivated enough to post on the LL for a couple of years, in the best traditions of the Lounge, I have continued to sporadically lurk here now & then, reading whatever threads catch my fancy at the moment.

On the rare occasion it occurs to me to check the DSF Glossary site, I notice that the page view count has risen slightly, but I have no idea if it's from visiters actually seeking Diablo info, or just random clicks, bots, or whatever.

Although I never developed the site to the extent I had once envisioned (& never upgraded the HTML code past its original extremely primitive state), there was no problem for me to just leave the site up & running as it was - until now. Due to an upcoming change in terms of service by my ISP, that web space will disappear, and I'm wondering if the site gets enough use to consider finding a new home for it (or at least parts of it) or if I should just let it quietly disappear.

I imagine the Links section is almost totally outdated. I wouldn't be surprised if only 10-20% or less of those links are still valid.

Still, I would think Soul Toucher's XP table & some of the other articles & essays might still be of use.

So, how about some feedback?

And, if there is some sentiment for keeping at least some of the info available, any suggestions on possible hosts? I have the impression most of the companies that once offered free web pages have disappeared. Are there still any around? Or does anyone know of any real cheap but reliable hosting companies to recommend?

Unfortunately, time is getting a little short before the web space disappears (partly because I just got back from spending a month in another state due to illness in my extended family & I had practically no internet access there). Of course, there is no reason there couldn't be a gap between when that site disappears and the info reappears elsewhere, if it works out that way.

Regards,

Dako-ta

If it will fit into the webspace I get from my ISP, I'll host it.

edit: I forgot to mention - I've linked to various of the essays and definitions from the Glossary and Archives on GFaqs over the years, as there's always been a slow trickle on newcomers to the game posting there.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
I use parcom.net as my host and godaddy.com for my domain. I haven't had any issues with either of them & I've been there since 2004. I have a plan that no longer is offered but I think they still have pretty cheap plans and alot of payment options. I pay ~$50/year for all of it. No adds, has php, a database, etc.

Also, if needed I would be willing to host also.
I can always dump it here on this domain. Are you planning to maintain it or you just want a static place to have it sit?
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
"Are you planning to maintain it or you just want a static place to have it sit?"

Good question. In the "best of all possible worlds", I would redo the whole thing & add some stuff from my directory of old dsf posts. However, that simply isn't realistic in the next few/several months, so I guess I'm just looking for a place to copy the files to and get the info available again, primitive as their presentation is.

Dako-ta

Quote:In the "best of all possible worlds", I would redo the whole thing & add some stuff from my directory of old dsf posts. However, that simply isn't realistic in the next few/several months, so I guess I'm just looking for a place to copy the files to and get the info available again, primitive as their presentation is.
It's pretty trivial to create a www.lurkerlounge.com/yourfoldernamehere, dump your stuff into it, and give you FTP access to the folder. Let me know if you're interested and what you want the URL to be. If you plan on running any scripts/active content, though, I'd appreciate it if you'd run it by me first for security analysis.

Thanks!
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
I still use Soul Toucher's XP table frequently. I look at the archived dsf posts every so often. I don't use the glossary at all.
-Ell_man
I browse through the articles now and then. Useful source of information.
Great thing you decided to post here,
I bookmarked the Soul Toucher's XP table for years now and it would be a shame to disapear now. I would say, just go for the offer and let them host your content. I would be really sad if this information and piece of diablo history would just vanish.
Just an update - just as I hit a really busy stretch, AT&T extended the deadline before the changeover from their old service to their new one by a couple of weeks (now supposedly March 31). I guess the transition to their new dial-up service (which looks to me just an administrative move & not any hardware upgrade/change) isn't going quite as quickly or smoothly as they had hoped.

However, of course, I didn't receive notification of the extension until the day after I had already changed over to the new service shortly before the old deadline, and I just found out that apparently my transferring to the new service caused my web space to get wiped. :o

I just tried to access the site to check on something & access is blocked. I guess that is somewhat logical, but it wasn't obvious to me, especially since I had paid for the old service to nearly the end of the month. I think I have saves of the latest versions of all the files, but I'm not positive, some tweaking might be needed after the move.

I think I will take LennyLen or Bolty up on their kind offer for hosting the files, but I haven't really had time to think about which yet. I guess the main page will have to be modified a bit, because some of the features on there were AT&T applets & I assume won't work after the move, but otherwise I will just copy the other files to the new host as they are & only mess with them if I need to to get the links working from page to page, etc.

<sigh> Isn't hindsight great, though? <_<

BTW, glad to hear from some users that the info is still useful. :)
Any news on this front? I'd forgotten your site was down, and tried to link to a couple of the articles there. Sad
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields