world cup thread
There needs to be one although I do understand that football is not the US' most populair sport. (yes it is football because it is played with a ball and feet)

Anyway, if you were not aware of this, but the US is competing as well.
And with England, Algeria and Slovenia a 2nd place in the group stage meaning 8th finals is certainly a possibility.
Canada....I am sorry Jester but you can cheer for the English.

I am full of confidence for the Dutch....our attack and midfield is brilliant.....so as long as we don't have to defend we will be fine.
First hurdle; to beat those high taxing expensive living danes on monday. And it is at 13.30 our time.....so I have to watch it at work (but luckily they have a much bigger TV there than I have at home.)
*starts singing*

Der er et yndigt land,
det står med brede bøge
nær salten østerstrand :|

Det bugter sig i bakke, dal,
det hedder gamle Danmark
og det er Frejas sal :|

Vort gamle Danmark skal bestå,
så længe bøgen spejler
sin top i bølgen blå :|
Hi,

(06-10-2010, 12:41 PM)eppie Wrote: . . . (yes it is football because it is played with a ball and feet)

Also with the head, the chest, the knees, etc. In fact, why not call it handlessball?

As to the World Cup, good luck to all the teams. May all your games be ties. Smile

--Pete

PS I neither know, nor care, if a tie is possible in soccer. The only sports I care about are those in which I participate, and then only when I'm actively participating.

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Because the primary means of playing is using your feet. Everything else is control.

Ties aren't possible; they'll do shoot-outs until a winner's determined -- at least during the World Cup.
(06-10-2010, 04:28 PM)Alliera Wrote: Because the primary means of playing is using your feet. Everything else is control.

Ties aren't possible; they'll do shoot-outs until a winner's determined -- at least during the World Cup.

Ties are possible in the group stage.
(06-10-2010, 12:41 PM)eppie Wrote: Canada....I am sorry Jester but you can cheer for the English.
Wouldn't dream of it. Vamos Uruguay!

(I know almost nothing about football, but I'm in a pool just for fun. I'm betting for a Brazilian win. But I'm cheering for Uruguay. It's been 60 years, it's time for an upset.)

-Jester
(06-10-2010, 05:06 PM)eppie Wrote:
(06-10-2010, 04:28 PM)Alliera Wrote: Because the primary means of playing is using your feet. Everything else is control.

Ties are possible in the group stage.

Oh. I'm not very well-versed in it. I was sure they weren't, though. Ah well.
Hi,
(06-10-2010, 12:41 PM)eppie Wrote: I am full of confidence for the Dutch....our attack and midfield is brilliant.....so as long as we don't have to defend we will be fine.
Brilliant indeed! And as long as you score one goal more than your opponent, you'll be fine. :p

Of course I'm rooting for Germany, but I think the Dutch will become world champion this time. I mean, if not now, when? Their style of playing surely deserves it. My bet is they'll beat Spain in the finals 3-2. Smile

How Germany will fare is extremely hard to predict this time. So many talented but young players without much experience...we'll see. This will be interesting! Smile

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider
(06-10-2010, 12:41 PM)eppie Wrote: I am full of confidence for the Dutch....First hurdle; to beat those high taxing expensive living danes on monday.
Typical American Response:

Whaaaat??? Dutch and Danes are different people??

I don't know why geography, including the socioeconomic/historical aspect, seems to have dropped off the school curriculae in the U.S. 40 or 50 years ago. I guess we didn't really need to know about the rest of the world.

-"Van"
a product of the Dutch, English, Irish, and a little bit of German and French
(06-11-2010, 08:52 AM)Kylearan Wrote: Hi,

Of course I'm rooting for Germany, but I think the Dutch will become world champion this time. I mean, if not now, when? Their style of playing surely deserves it. My bet is they'll beat Spain in the finals 3-2. Smile

-Kylearan

If I remember correctly you said something like this 2 years ago as well.

I don't believe you anymore. Smile
(06-12-2010, 01:12 AM)Vandiablo Wrote: [
-"Van"
a product of the Dutch, English, Irish, and a little bit of German and French

The big question is form who did you inherit your trading, drinking, administrative, hooliganism and love making skills.
Hi,

(06-12-2010, 07:15 AM)eppie Wrote: The big question is form who did you inherit your trading, drinking, administrative, hooliganism and love making skills.

Brings to mind two similar old jokes:

"Heaven is where the Police are British, the Chefs are French, the Mechanics are German, the Lovers Italian and it's all organised by the Swiss. Hell is where the Chefs are British, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, the Police are German and it's all organised by the Italians."

And:

"There have been many definitions of hell, but for the English the best definition is that it is the place where the Germans are the police, the Swedish are the comedians, the Italians are the defense force, Frenchmen dig the roads, the Belgians are the pop singers, the Spanish run the railways, the Turks cook the food, the Irish are the waiters, the Greeks run the government, and the common language is Dutch." attributed to David Frost.

The opinions in this post are not those of the poster, and he would die rather than defend anyone's right to hold those opinions.

--Pete

(06-12-2010, 07:41 AM)--Pete Wrote: Hi,

Brings to mind two similar old jokes:

--Pete

You didn't think I came up with that joke all by myself did you. Smile
Hi,
(06-12-2010, 07:15 AM)eppie Wrote:
(06-11-2010, 08:52 AM)Kylearan Wrote: Of course I'm rooting for Germany, but I think the Dutch will become world champion this time. I mean, if not now, when? Their style of playing surely deserves it. My bet is they'll beat Spain in the finals 3-2. Smile

If I remember correctly you said something like this 2 years ago as well.

I don't believe you anymore. Smile
Now that I think about it, you may be right - I believed in the Dutch 2 years ago as well. But yes, I honestly believe they deserve to become world champion, even though that's not a very popular opinion here in Germany. Tongue (Our time will come in 2-4 years, when our players have become more experienced)

Let's see how the Dutch play in the tournament though. Maybe my opinion will change. Wink

-Kylearan

P.S.: Heh, at least my prediction that the French will play HORRIBLE has already come true! Confused
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider
(06-10-2010, 04:15 PM)--Pete Wrote: As to the World Cup, good luck to all the teams. May all your games be ties. Smile

--Pete

PS I neither know, nor care, if a tie is possible in soccer. The only sports I care about are those in which I participate, and then only when I'm actively participating.

First game: Mexico 1, South Africa 1
Second game: France 0, Uruguay 0

Given that we weren't even sure a tie was possible, the odds of starting the World Cup with two in a row seem unfathomable! I think you have cursed the World Cup, Pete. Some Frenchmen will be spitting in your general direction if they find out about this.

Hopefully it lasts through the day and U.S. can tie England.
Hi,

(06-12-2010, 10:41 AM)Nystul Wrote: Some Frenchmen will be spitting in your general direction if they find out about this.

Given that I was born in Italy, am an American, and don't speak French, many of them already spit in my direction. Wink

If the ties keep up, I might have to develop an interest in soccer. A tournament that everybody loses is too humorous to miss. Smile

--Pete

(06-12-2010, 01:12 AM)Vandiablo Wrote: Whaaaat??? Dutch and Danes are different people??
Dutch is when you get 'her' to pay for 'her' own Danish.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

(06-12-2010, 04:45 PM)kandrathe Wrote:
(06-12-2010, 01:12 AM)Vandiablo Wrote: Whaaaat??? Dutch and Danes are different people??
Dutch is when you get 'her' to pay for 'her' own Danish.

Of course we wouldn't call it a 'Danish'.

@kylerean
Do you believe a bit more in germany now?

@nystul

well it did.....a nice 1-1 for the US against England.

The press in England were burning their goalkeeper down to the ground.
But to me they should have just scored more goals......the English are (just like the dutch) always thinking they are favourite but never manage to win. Rooney is given god like status but didnot show anything......and when that happens you shouldn't be surprized the opponent scores.
(06-14-2010, 07:40 AM)eppie Wrote: The press in England were burning their goalkeeper down to the ground.
Pfft. Amateurs. Nobody ruins a goalkeeper's life like the Brazilians.

-Jester
(06-14-2010, 07:40 AM)eppie Wrote: The press in England were burning their goalkeeper down to the ground.
But to me they should have just scored more goals......the English are (just like the dutch) always thinking they are favourite but never manage to win. Rooney is given god like status but didnot show anything......and when that happens you shouldn't be surprized the opponent scores.

It was not a very impressive display. The English aren't going to be favored to win much of anything (except in their own imaginations) playing like that. Same for the U.S., but when we get knocked out when can flip the station and watch a baseball game.
(06-14-2010, 10:35 PM)Nystul Wrote: Same for the U.S., but when we get knocked out when can flip the station and watch a baseball game.

When the Brits get knocked out, they can open their front windows and watch the gigantic boxing match.

-Jester