If you were to buy a good mouse right now?
My wife and I each have Logitech MX Revolution mice that are both button worn. Probably from our over use of heroic strike, heh. I am a 5 hour drive out of the bush of deep woods Canada and standing in the Best Buy of Duluth, MN. What mouse would you buy? Anyone have any experience with the Razer Naga? I really like the idea of having 12 programmable buttons on the right thumb.
The Razor Naga looks bloated, in my opinion. The buttons are too tightly clustered and are too small, at least for my hand. I'd fumble clicking any specific button, making it rather pointless.

I just use a normal Logitech MX700, though, so if you want more advanced mice, I'm afraid I can't really offer much.
I use a very simple Logitech MX310.

left right normal buttons clickable strafe button, small button behind scroll wheel, and 2 shoulder buttons. I love it, and don't think I need anymore than that.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
I'd recommend a Sidewinder x5 (for wired, which I strongly prefer for gaming - nothing like having your mouse die on Illidan...) or a Sidewinder x8 if you prefer wireless. Easily configurable, has game-specific profiles, on the fly changing of dpi and multiple side-buttons, all while being a good fit for my (too) large hands.

Regards,
~Frag Cool
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
I'm still using a Microsoft 5 button trackball...yeah, the one Microsoft no longer makes and will cost you upwards of $200 on Ebay (cause they really are the best trackball mice ever made). I got mine while they were still in production and I try not to abuse it at all to make it last and last and last (and will be quite sad the day is does finally die).
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
A friend of mine got a Razer Naga a while back, and I thought the same, that it would be impossible to use. But after a few days of adjustment, he loves it.
(06-14-2010, 10:50 AM)Bob the Beholder Wrote: A friend of mine got a Razer Naga a while back, and I thought the same, that it would be impossible to use. But after a few days of adjustment, he loves it.

Hi, Smile

It would be the same MS Trackball Explorer I use now or the Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman. Best thingy about a trackball for hardcore gamers...> Lesser chance to get Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) Heart

Quote:Microsoft Trackball Explorer

Trackball Explorer combines a finger-operated trackball with IntelliEye optical technology for superior precision and accuracy. The ball is large and conveniently located for easy control. Trackball Explorer has an ergonomic design that supports your entire hand and fingers. With no rollers or gears to clean Trackball Explorer will stay precise, as if it were "brand new."

Trackball features smooth feel and programmable forward and back buttons for easier Internet navigation. The IntelliEye sensor scans 1, 500 times per second, resulting in smooth, controlled movement. The wheel makes scrolling simple without using scroll bars and helps you work 25% more efficiently.

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
Hi,

(06-14-2010, 02:00 PM)Jim Wrote: Best thingy about a trackball for hardcore gamers...> Lesser chance to get Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) Heart

Sue and I also prefer trackball, to the point we each bought and brought our own to work. In Sue's case, using a mouse aggravated her shoulder condition. With a trackball, she's able to rest her forearm on the desk and remove the strain from her shoulder. However, we prefer thumb operated trackballs, using the Logitech Optical Trackman.

But good luck getting mouse users to switch Wink

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

(06-14-2010, 04:18 PM)--Pete Wrote: Hi,

Sue and I also prefer trackball, to the point we each bought and brought our own to work. In Sue's case, using a mouse aggravated her shoulder condition. With a trackball, she's able to rest her forearm on the desk and remove the strain from her shoulder. However, we prefer thumb operated trackballs, using the Logitech Optical Trackman.

--Pete

Haha! I had to switch. Almost fifteen years ago because of frozen shoulder, related to my hand condition. I got the Logitech Optical Trackman when it first came out.

I still use the original Trackman, because the current model is not as well made. A good friend has replaced the microswitches twice. Years of Diablo and DII took their toll. Not to mention arthritic thumb joints.

I still have a mouse for the Commodore though.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Hi,

(06-14-2010, 06:06 PM)LavCat Wrote: Haha! I had to switch. Almost fifteen years ago because of frozen shoulder, related to my hand condition. I got the Logitech Optical Trackman when it first came out.

How did you like it at first, and how do you like it (compared to a mouse) now? And I hope it helped your shoulder.

Quote:I still use the original Trackman, because the current model is not as well made. A good friend has replaced the microswitches twice. Years of Diablo and DII took their toll. Not to mention arthritic thumb joints.

Yeah. I keep the ones that die for replacements. It's usually the left button switch that dies, but all the switches are interchangeable. It's about a half hour job, start to finish, to replace the dead switch. I have a few of those original ones left, but I got addicted to the wheel on the new model.

--Pete

(06-14-2010, 06:33 PM)--Pete Wrote: Hi,

(06-14-2010, 06:06 PM)LavCat Wrote: Haha! I had to switch. Almost fifteen years ago because of frozen shoulder, related to my hand condition. I got the Logitech Optical Trackman when it first came out.

How did you like it at first, and how do you like it (compared to a mouse) now? And I hope it helped your shoulder.

I love the trackball. I liked it from the beginning but it took a bit of getting used to at first. Most of the time the shoulder is fine these days thanks to months of physical therapy.
(06-14-2010, 04:18 PM)--Pete Wrote: Hi,

However, we prefer thumb operated trackballs, using the Logitech Optical Trackman.

--Pete

Hi, Smile

My first trackball was thumb operated, using the index finger for the left button is more natural. IF I were to buy a new one I would stay with the MS trackball.

Now for the keyboard, I use the 'MS Natural Keyboard Pro' it has a split design which makes for easy use of the center keys, great for gaming.

Quote:Behold! The Swiss Army Keyboard!

[Image: MSNaturalKeyboardPro.jpg]

It slices, it dices, it takes stones out of horses' hooves. It's all funny looking and curvy. It's got two kinds of connector on its cable, and two USB ports on the back. It's really expensive. And it's made by Microsoft, so it must be good!

Good points

Firstly, you can say what you like about Microsoft software - and I recommend you do, loudly, because catharsis is good for you - but their hardware is fine. From the original bar-of-soap mouse to their current line of snazzy ball-less optical mouses, curvy keyboards and funky game controllers, Microsoft, contrary to all sensible expectations, make some quite nice gear. The software guys must not be in charge of the hardware division, because Microsoft hardware steadfastly refuses to catch fire every hour on the hour.

The hot keys are the obvious feature. The Natural Keyboard Pro has 19 of them, in addition to the standard 104 keys you get on every other PC keyboard with Windows keys. Most extra-buttons keyboards have rubber hot keys; these ones are plastic. Every one of them has some Windows-related function; users of other operating systems can go whistle, or write their own support software.

USB
The two USB ports on the Natural Keyboard Pro let you plug in your USB mouse, and one other USB device, without fiddling around at the back of your PC.

Go here for the full review:
http://www.dansdata.com/nkpro.htm

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
Hi,

(06-14-2010, 08:13 PM)Jim Wrote: Now for the keyboard, I use the 'MS Natural Keyboard Pro' it has a split design which makes for easy use of the center keys, great for gaming.

My problem with split keyboards is that, when gaming, my right hand is on the trackball and I need to perform all keyboard functions with my left. As much as possible, I try to map everything to the left hand keys, but for whatever reasons, often have to use those on the right (and even the numeric keypad). Not only does the split keyboard put these keys further away from my left hand, but the orientation of the keys seems to make using them more awkward (with my left hand).

What I would really like is a good keyboard with the numeric pad on the left. The average keyboard shelf makes for poor typing. With the mouse/trackball on the left, then the numeric keypad, then the duplicated control keys, the actual typing keyboard centers the 'enter' key on the mid-line of your body.

BTW, how'd we get onto keyboards, anyway?

--Pete

(06-14-2010, 08:13 PM)Jim Wrote: Hi, Smile

My first trackball was thumb operated, using the index finger for the left button is more natural. IF I were to buy a new one I would stay with the MS trackball.

Now for the keyboard, I use the 'MS Natural Keyboard Pro' it has a split design which makes for easy use of the center keys, great for gaming.

I use a Compaq keyboard that has no "Windows" key. Many lives have been saved that way. I bought a case of them when they were on sale.