Keyboards, Trackballs, Mouses, Oh my!
Hi, Smile

We gamers are a finicky lot when it comes to our peripherals. Tongue

This post is a Spin-off from: If you were to buy a good mouse right now? that I was Hijacking, sorry tacdriver. Blush

(06-14-2010, 08:13 PM)Jim Wrote: [quote='--Pete' pid='176359' dateline='1276532298']
Hi,

However, we prefer thumb operated trackballs, using the Logitech Optical Trackman.

But good luck getting mouse users to switch Wink

BTW, how'd we get onto keyboards, anyway?

--Pete

Hi, Smile

My first trackball was thumb operated, using the index finger for the left button is more natural. IF I were to buy a new one I would stay with the MS trackball. I am an Old dog. Tongue

Now for the keyboard, I use the 'MS Natural Keyboard Pro' it has a split design which makes for easy use of the center keys, great for gaming.

Quote:Behold! The Swiss Army Keyboard!

[Image: MSNaturalKeyboardPro.jpg]

It slices, it dices, it takes stones out of horses' hooves. It's all funny looking and curvy. It's got two kinds of connector on its cable, and two USB ports on the back. It's really expensive. And it's made by Microsoft, so it must be good!

The hot keys are the obvious feature. The Natural Keyboard Pro has 19 of them, in addition to the standard 104 keys you get on every other PC keyboard with Windows keys.

This is the short version. Go here for the full review:
http://www.dansdata.com/nkpro.htm

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
Hi, Smile

With that said this is my keyboard heads-up for --Pete a '10-key number pad you can place for either left- or right-handed use.'

Quote:Microsoft SideWinder X6 Black Keyboard Win USB English
Original Price: $69.99 You Save: $12.00
$57.99 Free Shipping*

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as..._-23109063

The Microsoft Sidewinder X6 keyboard for PC offers all the flexibility and custom programming options you need to conquer all the latest games. With Cruise Control, you can continue an action requiring up to 4 keys, without having to hold the keys down!

The backlit keyboard features a 10-key pad you can place for either left- or right-handed use, and in gaming mode, it switches to macro pad function. A pair of control knobs let you dial in your perfect lighting and volume settings, and the manual mode selector lets you toggle through 3 preset keyboard modes.

Use the included software to assign games and applications to the keyboard, and when you activate that application in the future, the keyboard will automatically detect it and switch to the custom profile you created for it.

The macro feature lets you assign up to 90 functions, using 30 macro keys to automate your most commonly-used commands. The in-game macro record button lets you create macros on the fly.

(06-16-2010, 12:35 AM)Jim Wrote: Now for the keyboard, I use the 'MS Natural Keyboard Pro' it has a split design which makes for easy use of the center keys, great for gaming.

I use the Logitech G15 keyboard with it's uber macro keys. I really should bind more macros into that sucker...
When I started playing my Death Knight in WoW I realized I needed a ton more buttons than my keyboard was easily providing. Thus I picked up the Logitech G13 Gamepad. This thing is awesome as it provides a full set of buttons as well as a mini-joystick for use moving/strafing around. Smile
-TheDragoon
(06-16-2010, 05:26 PM)Tal Wrote:
(06-16-2010, 12:35 AM)Jim Wrote: Now for the keyboard, I use the 'MS Natural Keyboard Pro' it has a split design which makes for easy use of the center keys, great for gaming.

I use the Logitech G15 keyboard with it's uber macro keys. I really should bind more macros into that sucker...

It's a real damn shame that Logitech have nerfed the G15 from 18 G keys down to a pathetic six.

I'm using a first-gen G15, with all 18 keys being used for most of my characters in WoW (With a little help from this addon), and to be honest I'm dreading the day it dies, because it's frankly irreplaceable these days. And yeah, I haven't got the desk space for a G13 Gamepad to sit next to any future keyboard I buy.

My G15 is paired with a MX518 mouse. Not the most precise of mice these days, but to be honest if you can honestly tell the difference between 1800dpi and anything higher you should get out more. I'd consider the Naga an upgrade, if only for the sheer number of extra buttons.

One problem I have with both pieces of kit is that the finish is annoyingly cheap. The black Logitech logo on the MX518 started to fade and break within a week of owning it (And is now unrecognisable), and the grey plastic on the keyboard is starting to turn blue in places.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
(06-16-2010, 06:02 PM)NiteFox Wrote: It's a real damn shame that Logitech have nerfed the G15 from 18 G keys down to a pathetic six.

I'm using a first-gen G15, with all 18 keys being used for most of my characters in WoW (With a little help from this addon), and to be honest I'm dreading the day it dies, because it's frankly irreplaceable these days. And yeah, I haven't got the desk space for a G13 Gamepad to sit next to any future keyboard I buy.

Thank you so much for that addon - that's precisely what I need! I was doing the macros the hard way...
(06-16-2010, 06:04 PM)Tal Wrote:
(06-16-2010, 06:02 PM)NiteFox Wrote: It's a real damn shame that Logitech have nerfed the G15 from 18 G keys down to a pathetic six.

Thank you so much for that addon - that's precisely what I need! I was doing the macros the hard way...
That is the add-on that Sabra and I have been using since I first grabbed a G15 shortly after they were available (on through mail order at that time). The only issue that I have with it the add on is configuring it for warriors and feral druids since it can be a bit of a pain to find the sweet spot for a contiguous span of 18 keys not already used by one of the many stance/form bars the game defaults to for those character types. For warriors, I have usually been starting on button 1 (bar 1 that is not normally ever visible to a warrior) on the list and just putting up with having half of bar 2 also mapped to the G15 buttons. I would need to be in game to see what I did for a compromise for druids.
(06-16-2010, 06:02 PM)NiteFox Wrote: Not the most precise of mice these days, but to be honest if you can honestly tell the difference between 1800dpi and anything higher you should get out more.
The difference between 1800 and 2100 is exceedingly obvious, even to the uninitiated Tongue

~Frag Cool
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
I'm using the original 18-button G11, which is the same as the original G15 without the fancy-schmancy screen in the middle.

And I need to look at that mod, since I don't use the macro buttons at all these days...
Hi, Smile

I don't have the Xbox 360, but it is news anyway Tongue

Quote:Microsoft Kinect to hit stores November 4:

If Microsoft has its way, we all will be playing video games by moving our bodies instead of holding remotes starting November 4.

That's when Kinect, the company's new motion-controlled video gaming add-on for the Xbox 360, will go on sale in North America. Kinect will hit stores worldwide by the December holidays.

The new system uses cameras to read a player's body movements and then translates those actions onto the TV screen and into the game -- all without the aid of remote controls or buttons.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/gaming.gadg...google_cnn

EDIT: My first impressions of Microsoft's 'Kinect'

(06-17-2010, 03:41 AM)Alliera Wrote: I'm using the original 18-button G11, which is the same as the original G15 without the fancy-schmancy screen in the middle.

And I need to look at that mod, since I don't use the macro buttons at all these days...

I love the LCD display in WoW. I just wish I could customize the information it displays. :/
(06-18-2010, 01:05 PM)Tal Wrote:
(06-17-2010, 03:41 AM)Alliera Wrote: I'm using the original 18-button G11, which is the same as the original G15 without the fancy-schmancy screen in the middle.

I love the LCD display in WoW. I just wish I could customize the information it displays. :/

What data does it show?
<span style="color:red">Terenas (PvE)
Xarhud: Lvl 80 Undead Priest
Meltok: Lvl 70 Undead Mage
Ishila: Lvl 31 Tauren Druid
Tynaria: Lvl 66 Blood Elf Rogue
(06-18-2010, 03:13 PM)Klaus Wrote:

What data does it show?

IIRC it shows your basic character information and stuff like how much ammunition you have.
(06-18-2010, 03:44 PM)Tal Wrote:

What data does it show?

IIRC it shows your basic character information and stuff like how much ammunition you have.
I turned that part off since it really did nothing that was needed in that manner. But if you are using Ventrilo, it will show information on who is currently talking (or breathing hard with the push to talk active...) and the names of people logging in and out of channel. For Teamspeak users there is a program (G15_Teamspeak) to download that will do the same thing for that product. There are actually quite a few games now that will output some form of information that will display on that screen now, but usually it is not overly helpful content.
(06-18-2010, 04:32 PM)Ruvanal Wrote: I turned that part off since it really did nothing that was needed in that manner. But if you are using Ventrilo, it will show information on who is currently talking (or breathing hard with the push to talk active...) and the names of people logging in and out of channel. For Teamspeak users there is a program (G15_Teamspeak) to download that will do the same thing for that product. There are actually quite a few games now that will output some form of information that will display on that screen now, but usually it is not overly helpful content.

I would love for it to show things like DPS meters.
(06-18-2010, 04:57 PM)Tal Wrote:
(06-18-2010, 04:32 PM)Ruvanal Wrote: I turned that part off since it really did nothing that was needed in that manner. But if you are using Ventrilo, it will show information on who is currently talking (or breathing hard with the push to talk active...) and the names of people logging in and out of channel. For Teamspeak users there is a program (G15_Teamspeak) to download that will do the same thing for that product. There are actually quite a few games now that will output some form of information that will display on that screen now, but usually it is not overly helpful content.

While that would be what you want, the game itself does not provide that information. To get it would require some API that allows mods to communicate outside of the games LUA sandbox for the mods. I do not think Blizzard should ever think allowing such a thing due to the potential exploitations that could slip in.

There is also the problem that if the information that a game company provided for driving that mini information port was in anyway majorly useful, then that would push that all concerned players would need to acquire some form of hardware that allows it to be accessed by them. Not something that many companies are willing to push onto their customers unless it really is critical to play the game. Ergo, why I said that the information I have seen on the output of other games is usually not too useful for the game play.
I don't see a problem with sending information out of WoW...
(06-19-2010, 03:33 AM)Ruvanal Wrote:
(06-18-2010, 04:57 PM)Tal Wrote:

While that would be what you want, the game itself does not provide that information. To get it would require some API that allows mods to communicate outside of the games LUA sandbox for the mods. I do not think Blizzard should ever think allowing such a thing due to the potential exploitations that could slip in.

There is also the problem that if the information that a game company provided for driving that mini information port was in anyway majorly useful, then that would push that all concerned players would need to acquire some form of hardware that allows it to be accessed by them. Not something that many companies are willing to push onto their customers unless it really is critical to play the game. Ergo, why I said that the information I have seen on the output of other games is usually not too useful for the game play.

I'd be happy beyond words if Recount would just work correctly for me in-game.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
(06-18-2010, 04:32 PM)Ruvanal Wrote:
(06-18-2010, 03:44 PM)Tal Wrote:

What data does it show?

I turned that part off since it really did nothing that was needed in that manner. But if you are using Ventrilo, it will show information on who is currently talking (or breathing hard with the push to talk active...) and the names of people logging in and out of channel. For Teamspeak users there is a program (G15_Teamspeak) to download that will do the same thing for that product. There are actually quite a few games now that will output some form of information that will display on that screen now, but usually it is not overly helpful content.

Nothing to add to the discussion - just wanted to see if quotes would go another level Wink

just to have something on topic - Logitech VX Revolution Cordless Laser Mouse for Notebooks - best mouse ever - sad day if both of mine die and I can't find a replacement
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
(06-19-2010, 05:50 AM)Alliera Wrote: I don't see a problem with sending information out of WoW...

You do not think devious enough then. Try having the option of in game user information like the damage dealt and chat info (among other things) being readily available to bot programs so that they could be even more interactive than what is currently seen. Easy enough to have other programs that can send key press equivalents to the game already. But most other bot type activity is dependent on just have a preset position script to follow or needs some potentially intrusive image scanning and interpretation software to dynamically react to the game environment. Check forums on the silly tricks that they have done to mess up bots that they have run into in the past. Now think of it if that bot could detect when it was knocked out and could do a reset and just continue. Or be more to avoid being put out of commission by players just messing up with its routine.