IronSnob
I've been playing around with the IronSnob variant and I want to try it on MP difficulty with the Undead Crown. I have a HoS, but the Undead Crown is better (higher average life steal plus the ability to combine life steal with a Shadowhawk). Does anyone know how I can transfer items from SP characters to MP characters?
Hi,

(07-16-2010, 10:23 PM)weakwarrior Wrote: I've been playing around with the IronSnob variant and I want to try it on MP difficulty with the Undead Crown. I have a HoS, but the Undead Crown is better (higher average life steal plus the ability to combine life steal with a Shadowhawk). Does anyone know how I can transfer items from SP characters to MP characters?

In case you're wondering, the reason you've not received a reply is that there is no legit way to transfer from SP to MP. And we frown upon cheating in the Lounge.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

I don't have hellfire, so I don't really know what happens, but I thought what I am asking about is something I could do through the Cornerstone of the World quest. Given that I am interested in doing this for my sake only and that it's easily doable in the expansion (I think) it doesn't seem like it should be offensive to this forum. But I can understand that reasonable minds may differ.

If you prefer let me rephrase my question - does anyone know of a mod whereby I can play MP difficulty while using some of the quest items from SP and which lends itself to the IronSnob variant - i.e. bringing items into the game?
Oh well good to see the "legit fascism" still alive in Diablo. I also played some IronSnob lately and instead of taking the trouble to let others host me games on b.net (I can't due to ports) finding and muling uniques, or finding someone who can give the unique as present to you,... (come on that's really nonsense, especially with these few folks around)... I used a third party trainer of my choice and just downloaded all the uniques for easy usage. This has no influence on the variant itself, doesn't make a win look shabby or causes harm to anyone. As far as I know moving SP Items to MP with an itemsaver doesn't work so I would recommend to look for a hack of the "Undead Crown". Shouldn't be to hard to find. Hf with the Snob
(07-24-2010, 08:54 PM)Plague Wrote: Oh well good to see the "legit fascism" still alive in Diablo. I also played some IronSnob lately and instead of taking the trouble to let others host me games on b.net (I can't due to ports) finding and muling uniques, or finding someone who can give the unique as present to you,... (come on that's really nonsense, especially with these few folks around)... I used a third party trainer of my choice and just downloaded all the uniques for easy usage. This has no influence on the variant itself, doesn't make a win look shabby or causes harm to anyone. As far as I know moving SP Items to MP with an itemsaver doesn't work so I would recommend to look for a hack of the "Undead Crown". Shouldn't be to hard to find. Hf with the Snob

You aren't playing the IronSnob variant then, are you? You're of course free to play this game any way you want on your own, but when you disregard rules of a variant that you don't like, you're playing you're own variant instead.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Of course, I'm playing the variant ,-) How to get these uniques into your game isn't mentioned in the official rules (http://realmsbeyond.net/diablo/vimsnob.html). My point was that I prefer to use a third party program to get my birthday presents rather than doing it the long legit (and absolutely unnecessary) way. Still this is a good reply to WeakWarrior as SP Items are excluded (although this is not explicitly mentioned in the rules) he should be just allowed to play the way he likes... call it a new variant if you have to.
(07-25-2010, 12:05 AM)Plague Wrote: Still this is a good reply to WeakWarrior as SP Items are excluded (although this is not explicitly mentioned in the rules) he should be just allowed to play the way he likes... call it a new variant if you have to.

Fair enough on both parts. I must admit that IronSnob is just a bit too hard for my skill set. This will be good practice for me for the IronSnob variant.

I should point out that playing this way is probably still harder than IronSnob on SP difficulty because the monsters are harder and because there are fewer special monsters that always drop uniques.

[Edited out a part of the post I regret.]
I would be happy to help you out if you ever want to move to IronSnob teamplay. I recently played a solo lock in warrior and died on 16 ( an overall bad run with hardly pots and not even enough IDs for all my presents -.-) I would be glad to take a second chance for my revenge. I experienced the following gift order to work for me: Executioners Blade, Dragon's Breach, Helm of Spirits, Scavenger Carapace, Flamedart for a solo warrior just in case you are interested Big Grin
Quote:How to get these uniques into your game isn't mentioned in the official rules

Not cheating was generally considered to be mandatory for every variant listed at RBD, hence why it isn't explicitly mentioned on every variant page.

-W.C. Fields
I understand we share a different opinion. Although I do not know if you really read through the rules and understood that there is no effect on the variant game play I still get your point. We are moving into an gray area here, like with scanners, backups and whatever else... Let me points out at this point, that the use of duped items is of course cheating, no question. Therefore just recently I started to collect all these uniques (I'm currently at 55/75) and I will use them for any further attempts. This stated however, I will still use a third party program to get these into my game and I will consider this absolutely legit and in unison with the RBD variant spirit.
Quote:Although I do not know if you really read through the rules and understood that there is no effect on the variant game play I still get your point.

I've played the Elitist variant, which is what IronSnob is based on, on and off for around 10 years now. I'm quite familiar with the rules. Wink

I'm also very familiar with the argument that using a trainer to copy an item and transfer it is equivalent to muling it. And yes, essentially it is. Using 3rd party tools for that purpose was always frowned upon over at RBD just as much as it was here, however, so please don't claim to be playing in their spirit if you do use 3rd party tools. This is why I objected to you using their name for what you're doing.

-W.C. Fields
(07-25-2010, 01:22 PM)LennyLen Wrote: I'm also very familiar with the argument that using a trainer to copy an item and transfer it is equivalent to muling it. And yes, essentially it is. Using 3rd party tools for that purpose was always frowned upon over at RBD just as much as it was here, however, so please don't claim to be playing in their spirit if you do use 3rd party tools. This is why I objected to you using their name for what you're doing.

You exaggerate how antitrainer the realmsbeyond site is. http://www.realmsbeyond.net/forums/showthread.php?t=94
The original question is almost the same one that I asked (and by the great Attika no less). See the rest of the thread where people like Lemming and KoP get involved as well.
(07-25-2010, 05:13 PM)weakwarrior Wrote:
(07-25-2010, 01:22 PM)LennyLen Wrote: I'm also very familiar with the argument that using a trainer to copy an item and transfer it is equivalent to muling it. And yes, essentially it is. Using 3rd party tools for that purpose was always frowned upon over at RBD just as much as it was here, however, so please don't claim to be playing in their spirit if you do use 3rd party tools. This is why I objected to you using their name for what you're doing.

You exaggerate how antitrainer the realmsbeyond site is. http://www.realmsbeyond.net/forums/showthread.php?t=94
The original question is almost the same one that I asked (and by the great Attika no less). See the rest of the thread where people like Lemming and KoP get involved as well.

I didn't really word my statement well. I was more trying to say that the initial variant rules form there did not support 'illegitimate' practices. Nobody there really cares if someone chooses to do these things, but as pretty much everyone on both sides in that thread states, if you do so, you need to make sure anyone you play with knows you do it, or have done it, and if you do so, you're longer playing the variant, but your own form of it.

-W.C. Fields
All of this talk of cheaters and trainers and variants is making me very sentimental. I was going to post some anecdotes from the golden age of channel Variants, but I will spare you all that.

The simple solution to this is, just use the Helm of Sprits (or actually, you might really consider the Overlord's Helm). You don't really want Shadowhawk. You need to prioritize for the real problems that you have to deal with in the game. The chance that you will run out of potions is very real, but there are a lot of bigger issues to deal with here. The first thing you should be concerned with is, you need to be able to kill Butcher AND probably Leoric with first two birthday gifts and most likely nothing else.

OK, just a little bit of nostalgia... Variants were actually a very social thing for quite a while. BNM rules required the character to hoard as many cursed items as would fit in inventory for backup gear, unless he could gift them to another BNM in need. This tradition passed to other variants, and people would host "yard sale" games where they would give away variant specific items they had found and lugged around. I know that some of us did use trainers to transfer items from one character to another in town and most of us did not. Using items that had not been found and sacrificed by another character or player, however, would have been considered cheating plain and simple.
Quote:OK, just a little bit of nostalgia... Variants were actually a very social thing for quite a while. BNM rules required the character to hoard as many cursed items as would fit in inventory for backup gear, unless he could gift them to another BNM in need. This tradition passed to other variants, and people would host "yard sale" games where they would give away variant specific items they had found and lugged around.

Maybe it's time for another DSF reunion.

-W.C. Fields
(07-27-2010, 01:12 PM)LennyLen Wrote: Maybe it's time for another DSF reunion.

I wonder how many of us are still alive after all these years...
(07-28-2010, 10:44 AM)Nystul Wrote:
(07-27-2010, 01:12 PM)LennyLen Wrote: Maybe it's time for another DSF reunion.

I wonder how many of us are still alive after all these years...

There's two of us at least. Wink

-W.C. Fields
Quote:OK, just a little bit of nostalgia... Variants were actually a very social thing for quite a while.

Oh, how I would have loved to play in those times,... however exactly my point, there's no variant community that survived up until now so 3rd party software is required at some points, as variant game play is essentially single player. LennyLen not having arrived in the year 2010 almost makes me regret having re-registered at this forum. But maybe it's the rules which are dusty.
Quote: LennyLen not having arrived in the year 2010 almost makes me regret having re-registered at this forum.

Your inability to make sense makes me regret that you did.

-W.C. Fields
(08-04-2010, 07:12 PM)Plague Wrote: [...] there's no variant community that survived up until now so 3rd party software is required at some points, as variant game play is essentially single player.
This isn't true. You can create a network game and transfer/mule items this way. The only requirement is an extra computer and a cable (or internet access on both computers). A 10-year old labtop would work quite well for this, and those aren't that expensive to come by.