StarCraft 2 story. Where to go from here? (warning: massive spoilers for SC2)
I've been watching too much Dr. Who (is there such a thing?) and you guys got me wondering... What if Mengsk is actually the alien?

Huh. Naaah, right? Hrmmm.
~Frag Big Grin
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
(08-19-2010, 02:12 PM)Zarathustra Wrote: Ah... I haven't watched it with the subtitles on. Okay, that bothers me even more now. I could at least find some way to explain things away if it's not Mengsk speaking to Tychus at the end.

Well, there is the possibility that Mengsk only followed Tychus closely on the last mission, and that he had given him carte blanche to protect his true allegiance (without realizing the consequences)...

But even I think that's thin.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
(08-19-2010, 07:02 PM)Taelas Wrote: Well, there is the possibility that Mengsk only followed Tychus closely on the last mission, and that he had given him carte blanche to protect his true allegiance (without realizing the consequences)...

Too thin for me. The moment Raynor's Raiders made a strike Mengsk wasn't expecting (or even one he WAS expecting), I'd think he'd have the Tychus Camâ„¢ iPhone App fired up. There's no way he'd just decide not to listen in.

I'm truly surprised they labeled the voice as Mengsk in the subtitles. It just makes so much sense that it'd be Dr. Narud pulling the strings, using Tychus to make Raynor gather the artifacts and then use them to take the one threat to the Xel'Naga (supposedly) out of the picture.
See you in Town,
-Z
(08-20-2010, 06:10 AM)Zarathustra Wrote:
(08-19-2010, 07:02 PM)Taelas Wrote: Well, there is the possibility that Mengsk only followed Tychus closely on the last mission, and that he had given him carte blanche to protect his true allegiance (without realizing the consequences)...

Too thin for me. The moment Raynor's Raiders made a strike Mengsk wasn't expecting (or even one he WAS expecting), I'd think he'd have the Tychus Camâ„¢ iPhone App fired up. There's no way he'd just decide not to listen in.

I'm truly surprised they labeled the voice as Mengsk in the subtitles. It just makes so much sense that it'd be Dr. Narud pulling the strings, using Tychus to make Raynor gather the artifacts and then use them to take the one threat to the Xel'Naga (supposedly) out of the picture.

Well, maybe he decided that he needed to keep a constant eye on Tychus -- but only after the Odin mission, where he saw how much havok the man could wreak without a leash.

To be specific, it's labelled "Arcturus", probably to make sure we didn't think it was the son.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
Forgive my brashness, but it seems to me that Mengsk is the bringer of the Hungerer as told by Zeratul at the end of the Protoss missions. If you unlocked the secret mission in SC II, you find out that Mengsk is cloning the Protoss/Zerg hybrids. There are many, many hybrids being cloned at that facility, and we know from the SC I expansion that there were many other facilities that were cloning these hybrids as well, I think the phrase "thousands of other facilities" was used. (the character/ traitor Duran told Zeratul this in the secret mission)

This would easily explain why he allows Tychus to do whatever he wants, as long as he can kill Kerrigan at the end, it will all be worth it, as she is the only one that can control the Zerg. Without her in control, "The Hungerer' can seize control of the Zerg (as was the case in the Protoss last mission storyline) and he can then wipe out all other life, as was his destiny, according to the Xel-Naga writings that Zeratul found on the first Protoss mission.

Mengsk is either dumb in trying to use the hybrid as a weapon (not likely), or he is in league with Duran from the SC I expansion, or the Hungerer itself and is following orders, or mind control, etc...

The next chapter (Heart of the Zerg) will have to be Kerrigan trying to reassert herself into the role of the Queen of blades to try to stop the end of times...

I would like to know who Duran really was from SC I. He told Zeratul that he was older than any other creature, perhaps he was the Hungerer itself, made to look human? I have a strange feeling that he will be there again sometime in this game as well...