StarCraft 2 story. Where to go from here? (warning: massive spoilers for SC2)
Finish the game. Herein lies story spoilers!

What with the end of Wings of Liberty and all, it'll be interesting to see where the story goes in the next game. Without a leader of the zerg, who will take over? Duran? Tongue ... In all seriousness; it seems very strange to turn Sarah human again. I love her arc, but how the hell do they replace her? They already established that the Overmind is dead on Char. With no one to run the cerebrates and the brood... what will happen? Can't wait to find out. Smile

Does anyone know if the next campaign is protoss or zerg?

-----------

Overall, I was very happy with the game. It even superseded the original. Kudos, Blizzard! Smile Apart from the story and the music, what I liked about it was the varied mission structure. Very few missions were your basic "build camp, mass army, charge!"-type thing, which can be a bit tiresome with no variation.

Any thoughts on future stories in StarCraft?
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
(07-28-2010, 09:33 PM)wcipAngel Wrote: how the hell do they replace her? They already established that the Overmind is dead on Char. With no one to run the cerebrates and the brood... what will happen?

In SC1 wasn't there a mission after the Overmind died where Sarah had to fight off 3 (I think it was three...been a while) other Zerg entities for control? So it could be that that will happen again. A couple of the most evolved/strongest Zerg will be put forward and there will be factions they control and there will be a mission or several where you are the one who in the end will win and have to defeat the others. Of course, that is only one path. With how the Zerg evolves into things and alters their being...it could be that they will morph something into a new Overmind.

I should state, I've not played through the story in SC2. My comp can't handle it and so it is doubtful I will anytime soon. Just saying my guesses are based on old data.
Remember this: the first Overmind was killed on Tarsonis. The second was killed on Char.

The fact that there was a second Overmind at all may tell us all about the possibilities.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Not bad ideas what im mostly thinking about is how is Sarah going to stop the end of the world?? I dont understand how she could control the zerg to free them anymore.
Just going to place this here.

[Image: b2ff151f-dfcd-48ca-bc6d-aea93b69445a.jpg]
One thing for certain, the dev's loved Firefly as much as the rest of us.
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
When I played through the game, I found myself noticing small things that seemed Firefly'y, but I can't remember what they were. Frag?
(07-29-2010, 11:56 PM)[wcip]Angel Wrote: When I played through the game, I found myself noticing small things that seemed Firefly'y, but I can't remember what they were. Frag?

Joeyray's (Unification Day Bar), The music (seriously, some of the chord progression on the guitar riffs in the Hyperion and during transitions are nigh-identical to the opening song from FF), the setup of having a tortured, rugged captain running around the outer planets (to avoid the corrupt central government) doing jobs for people he picked up along the way (who are never who they say they are). I'm not complaining at all, I love it, was just kinda shocked at how much of a similar vibe I got (though the Zerg is a lot more inviting than Reavers...)

Cheers,
~Frag Cool
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
I'm pretty sure Sarah will still have control over the zerg.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
(07-29-2010, 06:40 PM)Rhydderch Hael Wrote: Remember this: the first Overmind was killed on Tarsonis. The second was killed on Char.

The fact that there was a second Overmind at all may tell us all about the possibilities.

*cough*AuirnotTarsonis*cough*
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Yeah... Aiur. Tarsonis was the planet where Sarah Kerrigan was abandoned to the zerg.

Taelas: why would she? Being human and all, what makes you think she has any control of the broods?
(08-02-2010, 01:12 AM)[wcip]Angel Wrote: Taelas: why would she? Being human and all, what makes you think she has any control of the broods?

Remember how strong her psi abilities were before she was infested? She may still have some control. Just have to see what develops.
--Mav
(08-02-2010, 04:51 AM)Mavfin Wrote:
(08-02-2010, 01:12 AM)[wcip]Angel Wrote: Taelas: why would she? Being human and all, what makes you think she has any control of the broods?

Remember how strong her psi abilities were before she was infested? She may still have some control. Just have to see what develops.
She also had her zerg "hair" still. Suppose this is not just decoration but the organ which allowed her communication and control of the zerg. Perhaps by turning her "human" we are further blundering into carrying out the overmind's plan.
(08-02-2010, 01:12 AM)[wcip]Angel Wrote: Yeah... Aiur. Tarsonis was the planet where Sarah Kerrigan was abandoned to the zerg.

Taelas: why would she? Being human and all, what makes you think she has any control of the broods?

It makes sense. If Sarah still has control over the Zerg, she can force them to stand with the Terrans and the Protoss against the Hybrids.

It is the only way I can see Zeratul's message as being correct. The Queen of Blades no longer exists, so unless the Terran campaign is all about how we completely mess up everything, Sarah must be able to fulfill the role the Queen of Blades was supposed to -- which either means her immense psionic abilities, or controlling the Zerg. Somehow, I do not see a single person, even one as powerful as the Queen of Blades, as being able to withstand the Hybrids. No; it must be her control over the Zerg that the Hybrids fear.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
(08-07-2010, 08:08 AM)Taelas Wrote:
(08-02-2010, 01:12 AM)[wcip]Angel Wrote: Yeah... Aiur. Tarsonis was the planet where Sarah Kerrigan was abandoned to the zerg.

It makes sense. If Sarah still has control over the Zerg, she can force them to stand with the Terrans and the Protoss against the Hybrids.

It is the only way I can see Zeratul's message as being correct. The Queen of Blades no longer exists, so unless the Terran campaign is all about how we completely mess up everything, Sarah must be able to fulfill the role the Queen of Blades was supposed to -- which either means her immense psionic abilities, or controlling the Zerg. Somehow, I do not see a single person, even one as powerful as the Queen of Blades, as being able to withstand the Hybrids. No; it must be her control over the Zerg that the Hybrids fear.

I'm leaning towards Heart of the Swarm being a campaign Kerrigan's attempt to gain/keep control of the Zerg.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Quark: That's a pretty good guess. Smile It also rings true when you think about the name of the game.
10 Starcraft II Easter Eggs.
I actually have a big problem with the way Tychus was handled. Or perhaps, the way the story was "narrated."

Whether it was just implication at the beginning or Blizzard MEANT it to be so... I took the opening voiceover to be Mengsk speaking to Tychus. Having played through the game (yes, massive spoilers in the title of the thread), we know this can't possibly be true.

Mengsk would not allow Tychus to steal the Odin. He would not allow him to then pilot said Odin through the streets and certainly wouldn't want that damning recording transmitted by Tychus to everyone in the sector. Further, the "you reading this?" line shows that whoever had a gun to Tychus' head clearly had the ability to monitor everything he did. This means the puppeteer would be privy to everything Raynor's Raiders did.

The only conclusion that makes any sense is that it was Dr. Narud/Duran pulling the strings. He's the one who has a vested interest in seeing Kerrigan first weakened and then slain. He orchestrated the use of the artifact and had a contingency plan to take her out. The voice Tychus hears in his com at the end is clearly not Mengsk.

Thus, it's a trick of the narration. There are many ways you can justify the voice at the beginning. Ooo... maybe that recording by Mengsk is played for every prisoner locked into a suit! I just don't care for this specific use of misdirection in storytelling. It instilled an idea that Tychus could not be trusted (which is proven time and again) but for the wrong reasons. It makes me doubt the closing mention of "Tychus Findlay is dead" since I never saw the shot hit him between the eyes, and makes me worry that they'll pull some "he's actually alive!" bit down the road.
See you in Town,
-Z
Unless they are directly lying, it is Mengsk at the end. The subtitles show his name when the line is read, and it is his voice.

I fully agree that it doesn't make sense.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Ah... I haven't watched it with the subtitles on. Okay, that bothers me even more now. I could at least find some way to explain things away if it's not Mengsk speaking to Tychus at the end.
See you in Town,
-Z