Summer time
Hello all

It is summer. It is the time for some summer drinking.

So, I offer you, in the spirit of giving, my late husband's favourite summer drink.

Charlie MacGillivray’s Great Memories Margarita Heart
Broken Ice
2 Lime wedges
2 oz. “1800” Tequila
½ oz. White Cuervo
1 ¼ oz. Rose’s Lime Cordial
½ oz. Bols Triple Sec
Splash of Bols Orange Curacao
Shake well. Salt rims of glasses and strain over fresh broken ice and
1 squeezed lime wedge per glass.
Makes 2 drinks…. Enjoy!!! Smile
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

One of my summer favs is an easy one. 1 part white port and 1 part tonic over ice. Quite refreshing
'Me not that kind of Orc' - lazy peon
Hi,

(08-03-2010, 11:26 PM)ShadowHM Wrote: Hello all

So, I offer you, in the spirit of giving, my late husband's favourite summer drink.

Broken Ice
2 Lime wedges
2 oz. “1800” Tequila
½ oz. White Cuervo
½ oz. Bols Triple Sec

Sounds great. I'll get Sue to make one for herself and I'll steal a sip. Smile

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

I don't consume alcohol, but I'm all over this one I 'invented' during the heatwave although it takes some work. Big bonus; it's healthy!

Take 1 fresh pineapple and make cubes out of the edible part.
Take 2 big oranges (sweet) and take out the fruit (only the edible parts) and seperate in parts/chunks. remove seeds.
Take ½ litre of yoghurt (unsugared)
Put in Smoothy maker, add icecubes until maximum treshold is met.
Grind until smooth, tap off.

Put in fridge, take a glass now and then with extra icecubes. Consume within 1 day.

Going to experiment with Kiwifruit next heatwave.
Former www.diablo2.com webmaster.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
It's not summer here, but I'll drink margarita's any time. Big Grin

But here's a nice (if I do say so myself) summer drink that won me an Appleton's cocktail competition a few years back:

Apple Mule (I'm good at making/designing cocktails, but terrible at naming them)

45ml Appleton's Rum
30ml Apple Vodka (Bicardi Apple works too)
Ginger Beer
4 decent size mint leaves
1/2 a lime
Ice

Slice the lime into 3 or 4 pieces and muddle with the mint in a boston glass. Fill the boston with ice then add the rum and vodka. Shake, then pour into a 450ml highball or pilsner glass. Top with ginger beer. Drink!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
(08-05-2010, 01:11 AM)LennyLen Wrote: But here's a nice (if I do say so myself) summer drink that won me an Appleton's cocktail competition a few years back:

Apple Mule (I'm good at making/designing cocktails, but terrible at naming them)

Yah, yah. First your pathetic attempt to grab beta-testers for your online chat program. Now this. Don't think you'll trick me into trying this recipe.
(08-05-2010, 01:29 AM)Thecla Wrote:
(08-05-2010, 01:11 AM)LennyLen Wrote: But here's a nice (if I do say so myself) summer drink that won me an Appleton's cocktail competition a few years back:

Yah, yah. First your pathetic attempt to grab beta-testers for your online chat program. Now this. Don't think you'll trick me into trying this recipe.

Have you had a few already? I'm confused.

-W.C. Fields
(08-05-2010, 04:18 AM)LennyLen Wrote: Have you had a few already? I'm confused.

Next you'll be denying this was you Wink

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/thread-12414.html
Hehe, I just read that and was coming back to edit my previous post.

But that's definitely not me, I'm taller. Wink

-W.C. Fields
(08-05-2010, 04:45 AM)LennyLen Wrote: Hehe, I just read that and was coming back to edit my previous post.

But that's definitely not me, I'm taller. Wink

I'm just enjoying a bottle of Beaujolaise-Villages, but it is so wonderful to see Shadow posting again!
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Here's a good one that I came up with last fall that certainly fits into the mold of a good summer time drink. Essentially it's a fusion of mojito and Arnold Palmer.

Sweet Tea Mojito
1 pt Sweet Tea Vodka
1 pt Lemonade
1 pt Club Soda
Mint Leaves
Lime Juice (half a lime per drink)
~ 1TBS Sugar

Blend the Vodka, Lime Juice and Mint Leaves together (I use a stick blender) and strain over ice (I use a handy tea strainer cup). Add the Lemonade, Club Soda and Sugar, mix it all up and enjoy!

To make it easier, I sometimes muddle the Vodka and Mint with ice and use Lemon Lime Soda (like 7-Up) in place of the Lemonade, Lime Juice, Club Soda and Sugar. Occasionally I'll use Lemonade Vodka as well to make it more Arnold Palmery.
-TheDragoon
Quote:To make it easier, I sometimes muddle the Vodka and Mint

Mint leaves should always be muddled rather than blended. This allows the menthol oil to be released and mixed with the other ingredients. Blending it will destroy most of the oils instead. This is especially true if you're using fresh limes rather than lime juice, as blending limes makes one hell of a pulpy mess (and also destroys the nice zesty oils).

-W.C. Fields
(08-05-2010, 01:11 AM)LennyLen Wrote: It's not summer here, but I'll drink margarita's any time. Big Grin

I have a disimilar problem. It is Summer here, but my drink only relates to Summer because my wife and I started ordering/buying it to serve after her birthday meal: PACIFIC RIM, Framboise.

Not at all light like a summer drink ought to be, but it makes for a sweet desert.
but often it happens you know / that the things you don't trust are the ones you need most....
Opening lines of "Psalm" by Hey Rosetta!
(08-03-2010, 11:26 PM)ShadowHM Wrote: Hello all

Broken Ice
2 Lime wedges
2 oz. “1800” Tequila
½ oz. White Cuervo
½ oz. Bols Triple Sec

I might try the metric version of this drink once I find out what Cuervo is (kind of tequilla right?) and Rose's Lime Cordial.
Anyway, this seems to be quite an alcohol bomb....long island iced tea type of drink.

I am quite a fan of margarita's though so I am looking forward.
To your family shadow! (raises glass)
Quote:I might try the metric version of this drink once I find out what Cuervo is (kind of tequilla right?) and Rose's Lime Cordial.

Jose Cuervo is just a brand. You could substitute the white Cuervo for any blanco or plata tequila. It should also be noted that 1800 is also a brand name (by the same manufacturer of Jose Cuervo), and they actually make several products. I'm guessing ShadowHM was meaning the reposado however, as it's their most well known tequila. This could be substituted for any reposado tequila.

Rose's is also just a brand name. Any lime cordial will do just as well.

-W.C. Fields