Gearing for PvP: ArP/Res
The Current Sorry State of Gordal Bowhorn

This isn't really about spec, mainly about gear. For what I play in PvE, I do pretty well. Hit and Crit are the two god stats for PvE, and I know I have enough of both to be fairly competitive (I know I'm over the +hit cap, but there's no easy way to reduce it without going under.). I'm using 2/5 Furious Gladiator's (Gloves and pants), but again both are geared for PvE.

The problem is that I'm not doing too well in PvP. I used to be able to hold my own, but now I'm suffering badly. Naturally, I don't expect to win every 1v1 situations (I'm a Hunter, for crying out loud.), but nowadays if I'm caught short, I'm dead unless a random healer happens by. The fact that I'm a crit-based Hunter means that my attack is weakened significantly by modest amounts of Resilience. I'm just not... Performing. And I doubt Pele can help me.

I've never really statted for PvP. Every enchant, every gem I've ever bought has either been for boosting Agi or other PvE stats. Now I'd like to keep an off-set (or at least a partial off-set) of PvP gear and... I don't know where to start.

I do have the other three Furious Gladiator pieces in storage, the shoulders and (ugly, ugly) helm are, um, gemmed for PvE, but that's easily fixed and the chest is fresh and virgin and completely unslotted. Even assuming that I don't get PvE replacements for the gloves and pants I can always get duplicates through many hours of painful PvP in Wintergrasp and standing behind a group of better equipped meatshields.

So I guess I have to gear for Armor Penetration and Resilience, but the question roughly how much of both do I need to be competitive? I'm not sure if Hit actually means much in PvP either, so is it safe to sacrifice +hit for ArP?

Any advice would be appreciated.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
My highest hunter is 77 so take with a grain of salt. I think it should go hit minimum -> Resil -> ARP.

Gotta survive long enough to throw the hate down field. And hunters are too dangerous for most classes to ignore in pvp.
(08-07-2010, 06:48 PM)NiteFox Wrote: The Current Sorry State of Gordal Bowhorn

This isn't really about spec, mainly about gear. For what I play in PvE, I do pretty well. Hit and Crit are the two god stats for PvE, and I know I have enough of both to be fairly competitive (I know I'm over the +hit cap, but there's no easy way to reduce it without going under.). I'm using 2/5 Furious Gladiator's (Gloves and pants), but again both are geared for PvE.

The problem is that I'm not doing too well in PvP. I used to be able to hold my own, but now I'm suffering badly. Naturally, I don't expect to win every 1v1 situations (I'm a Hunter, for crying out loud.), but nowadays if I'm caught short, I'm dead unless a random healer happens by. The fact that I'm a crit-based Hunter means that my attack is weakened significantly by modest amounts of Resilience. I'm just not... Performing. And I doubt Pele can help me.

I've never really statted for PvP. Every enchant, every gem I've ever bought has either been for boosting Agi or other PvE stats. Now I'd like to keep an off-set (or at least a partial off-set) of PvP gear and... I don't know where to start.

I do have the other three Furious Gladiator pieces in storage, the shoulders and (ugly, ugly) helm are, um, gemmed for PvE, but that's easily fixed and the chest is fresh and virgin and completely unslotted. Even assuming that I don't get PvE replacements for the gloves and pants I can always get duplicates through many hours of painful PvP in Wintergrasp and standing behind a group of better equipped meatshields.

So I guess I have to gear for Armor Penetration and Resilience, but the question roughly how much of both do I need to be competitive? I'm not sure if Hit actually means much in PvP either, so is it safe to sacrifice +hit for ArP?

Any advice would be appreciated.

My hunter gears mainly for attack power and resilience. No ArP whatsoever, as I recall. She uses two pieces of the T whatever it is PvE set that gives +5% pet damage. If some thug with 20 tenacity wants her dead, she will probably be dead, but in general she tries to stay out of harm's way, drop traps, and let her bat get the killing blows. Have to love those stuns and 5K Wolverine Bites.

Cataclysm will probably change everything.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Jr. here. Not sure if you want to deal with this in Pms but i have pvped alot on my hunter and would be willing to help overall we still just gem agi for pvp. Also I would higly recomend a marks pvp spec as the burst it gives is amazing. If you want I can log out on my hunter in his gear and spec. Name is Meengreen on Terenas
and yes we do not gem for arp and i rarely gem ap unless you are bm.
Arp is not what you want for pvp unless you can get it easily without sacrificing anything else. For pvp, a hunter is more likely going to be using the full range of instant shots, with little to no steady shot, and not as much time standing still to auto-shot. As Marksman, your chimera and arcane aren't affected by arp, and they are going to be a very large portion of your damage. Survival, as well, is a large portion fire and nature damage.

You are also playing one of the classes that people like to dogpile. You will get focused. There isn't much discussion on that--you will. So you need resil. All you can get, at least up until around 1100. If you're not already full pvp geared, then you'll want to try to stack it as high as possible. I wouldn't suggest gemming for it, though--if you can't get enough just from your gear, then you're just not going to.

*edit*

Okay, I'm a failure, and read through your post more thoroughly, plus looked through your armory. More specifically, for your gemming and gearing, you will in fact want 5 percent hit. Your current gear set is over that by a hilarious degree. (I'm assuming that's how you roll in pve, though... in which case you're still over, just not by an especially huge amount.) As you put on more standard pvp gear, however, that will drop to a more reasonable amount. It would be in your best interests, however, to invest in your standard resillience pvp trinket, and a battlemaster's attack power trinket, ideally. After putting on more pvp gear, and possibly losing the hit from your trinket, you may want to pick up the hit shoulders from wintergrasp, which are exceptional if you don't do arena, and then grab another honor-bought hit piece or two. (the relentless ring is a good choice.) After that point, you pretty much just want more pvp gear--the higher ilevel the better. It's really itemized pretty well for both survival and damage. For your gems in said pvp gear, if you need a gem or two to hit 5 percent hit, go for it, but other than that the ideal is just agility, agility, agility, agility. I see you've said you prefer crit... and I don't want to impugn on your own personal style too much, but I will say that it is not entirely optimal.
(08-09-2010, 04:35 AM)Bob the Beholder Wrote: Okay, I'm a failure, and read through your post more thoroughly, plus looked through your armory. More specifically, for your gemming and gearing, you will in fact want 5 percent hit. Your current gear set is over that by a hilarious degree. (I'm assuming that's how you roll in pve, though... in which case you're still over, just not by an especially huge amount.) As you put on more standard pvp gear, however, that will drop to a more reasonable amount. It would be in your best interests, however, to invest in your standard resillience pvp trinket, and a battlemaster's attack power trinket, ideally. After putting on more pvp gear, and possibly losing the hit from your trinket, you may want to pick up the hit shoulders from wintergrasp, which are exceptional if you don't do arena, and then grab another honor-bought hit piece or two. (the relentless ring is a good choice.) After that point, you pretty much just want more pvp gear--the higher ilevel the better. It's really itemized pretty well for both survival and damage. For your gems in said pvp gear, if you need a gem or two to hit 5 percent hit, go for it, but other than that the ideal is just agility, agility, agility, agility. I see you've said you prefer crit... and I don't want to impugn on your own personal style too much, but I will say that it is not entirely optimal.

So for PvP, 5% hit is fine? I ask this because, with what PvP gear I have collected now (Gemmed up full Gladiator's, enchanted for Resi, and swapping some PvE enchants that I had on my off-set for PvP ones) I'm getting about 6% hit. I have also been driving myself batguano insane farming Forge of Souls for the Accursed Crawling Cape, which is a nice upgrade regardless. I hear the Devourer of Souls in my sleep now, so I'm considering the Crypt Fiend Slayer as a weapon upgrade, even though I'd have to buy Iceblades, and so soon after finding someone doing a fire sale on Shatter Rounds.

I'm no longer dependant on gems for hit, and apparently the cap for PvE is still 8%, so I'm generally loathe to drop beneath that, but if 5% is fine for PvP, then I don't really have to drive myself insane trying to balance myself for hit and resi.

The WG shoulders seem like a good alternative to the Furious Gladiator's I have, and I've been running WG a lot lately for the easy, easy Honor. Pity they cost Marks, and I'm a few Marks short. Bet now I actually want to run WG for wins, I'll keep losing.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Hello!

I PvP as Arms Warrior, Resto Shammy and recently started gearing my 80 Resto Druid and might try to push past 1800 with a 3rd toon if I can find the time.

5-6% hit is what you want, I believe thats around 164 hit rating or so, in order to make sure specials dont miss.

As far as I know you want to stack as much Agi as possible, and wear as many PvE pieces as you can afford to wear while maintaining around 1k resilience.

The 251 WG Shoulders are great. That piece (With 63 (?) Hit rating on it) + 1 Wrathful Hit offpiece and a 20 Hit Rating enchant to hands easily gets you the hit you need in 3 slots, and has been what Ive been doing with a lot of my toons - note that with some PvE pieces you may not need the hand enchant for the extra 20 rating, so gogo Rocket Glubs. If you have the Ashen ring from ICC rep, the exalted ring is great as well - gives some more hit rating (Thus letting you skip getting the +hit wrathful offpiece) and gives you another viable pve piece with a decent proc on it to make you more bursty.

Hope this helped.

-Z
Proud Co-Founder of the Widely Accepted and Raiderâ„¢ Approved "FIPIA Strategy"

Zyn's You Tube Channel