How to save billions of dollars.
(09-16-2010, 03:11 PM)TheDragoon Wrote: Sorry, I think you have Football confused with Soccer. Smile

No, you confuse Football with American Football .

Quote:The most popular of these sports worldwide is association football, more commonly known as just "football" or "soccer".

Thank you for illustrating the need for unambiguous descriptions. It has been a major motivation behind the idea of a internationally accepted system of units.
Hi,

First, thank you for taking up the troll feeding duties. I've given up.

(09-16-2010, 01:59 PM)TheDragoon Wrote: Pete, if you ever do put together a standard measurement system rant, I'd be interested in reading it as these are always informative to me. Smile

Well, it is a work in progress. This is the third time in about four months that the topic came up on a forum. So I just grabbed all the posts in the last discussion (plagiarizing the works of others, but since I stole from many, it's research Smile ) threw them into Word and did some editing. My original post is pretty much all I have now. I did remove the part about Fahrenheit at Jester's suggestion. And I have some mental notes about how to improve it, which I'll probably not incorporate till the next time the topic comes up. If I ever make any substantial progress, I'll get you a copy.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

(09-16-2010, 03:29 PM)Zenda Wrote: Thank you for illustrating the need for unambiguous descriptions. It has been a major motivation behind the idea of a internationally accepted system of units.

Eliminating ambiguity must be balanced with practical application, or else we'd all be speaking Lojban.

-Jester
(09-16-2010, 03:42 PM)--Pete Wrote: And I have some mental notes about how to improve it, which I'll probably not incorporate till the next time the topic comes up.

I wonder if the next installment will also address the shortcomings of that other decimal, one-size-fits-all unit which surely plagues your daily life, the dollar Wink
Hi,

(09-17-2010, 09:55 PM)Zenda Wrote: I wonder if the next installment will also address the shortcomings of that other decimal, one-size-fits-all unit which surely plagues your daily life, the dollar Wink

Well, now, I did say I use the units that are convenient. Where I live, the Euro, or Lira, or Baht, or Piastra, or Pound, or Peso, or . . .

But I think it is wonderful how the rest of the world has standardized on one unit of currency. It's just so necessary for international trade. Cool

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?