4.x PvP Marks/Commendations?
Rumor has it that 4.x will happen very soon. What alarms me is that a friend said she understands Wintergrasp and battleground marks will be wiped when the patch goes live. I have thousands of WG marks and hundreds of BG marks. I was expecting that these could be converted to the new honor currency. If they are all lost I will not be happy.

I found a blue post which said marks and old honor would be converted to new honor up to a cap, and to gold beyond the cap. No word on Commendations. Sad that I threw away my Spirit Shards.

Does anyone have further information on what will happen to the Commendations, or for that matter the marks? It might be that Commendations are converted to new honor for the character that holds them, but that is just a guess on my part.

I have characters 74 and 79 and I wanted them to use some Commendations to get geared up for the push to 85. Maybe there is a new mechanism to transfer honor between characters on the same account that I don't know about?

Any thoughts?
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
(10-03-2010, 10:32 PM)LavCat Wrote: Rumor has it that 4.x will happen very soon. What alarms me is that a friend said she understands Wintergrasp and battleground marks will be wiped when the patch goes live. I have thousands of WG marks and hundreds of BG marks. I was expecting that these could be converted to the new honor currency. If they are all lost I will not be happy.

I found a blue post which said marks and old honor would be converted to new honor up to a cap, and to gold beyond the cap. No word on Commendations. Sad that I threw away my Spirit Shards.

Does anyone have further information on what will happen to the Commendations, or for that matter the marks? It might be that Commendations are converted to new honor for the character that holds them, but that is just a guess on my part.

I have characters 74 and 79 and I wanted them to use some Commendations to get geared up for the push to 85. Maybe there is a new mechanism to transfer honor between characters on the same account that I don't know about?

Any thoughts?

Wintergrasp marks get converted to Honor
There's a calculator in this post on MMO-Champion that should tell you what your marks will convert to.
(10-04-2010, 12:34 AM)RTM Wrote: There's a calculator in this post on MMO-Champion that should tell you what your marks will convert to.

It looks like the calculator is based on the conversion formulae in the blue post I liked above. What I did notice from your link is that apparently the upcoming patch is changing the world. I had expected that would wait till Cataclysm. Guess I should start exploring!

I still can't find any information on commendations however.
They likely just give honor points instead of honor. They aren't a separate currency, after all.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
(10-04-2010, 12:54 AM)LavCat Wrote: It looks like the calculator is based on the conversion formulae in the blue post I liked above. What I did notice from your link is that apparently the upcoming patch is changing the world. I had expected that would wait till Cataclysm. Guess I should start exploring!

The cataclysm event that changes the landscape is not being implemented with 4.0.1. It is being implemented with 4.0.3 which is the patch that will be deployed the day that cataclysm launches. There will be no changes to the layout of the world, or new mobs, or azeroth flight until that time.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
There are two patches. The first isn't changing the world.
The first patch will convert marks and stuff into the new honor currency with no limit. There is however a soft cap, I think it was 4000. If you're over the cap you can't accumulate more points. If you're still over the cap when the second patch hits it'll convert anything over the cap into gold.

The commendation tokens I'm not sure of. I had 5 of the bravery commendations from arena points on a character transferred to the PTR, and they turned into a white item with no use: ability, the stack of which sold for some 80ish gold. Don't have a clue about wintergrasp commendations.
ERAU QSSI DLRO WEHT
Weeeel, I'd say the first patch isn't changing the landscape. Its sure changing the world. Gonna be interesting raiding with the changes, over the next two months.
Oh, I just love uncertainty.

I've done a quick crunch of what I'm due after the conversion, and points-wise it's not that much. I tend not to hoard honor and emblems, though I have 12 BoJs from the old Shattered Sun dailies that's worth a neat amount of cash. My 32 Frost Emblems and current 26 Triumph (Though I'll probably have more Triumph by the time the conversion actually kicks in) are worth 671 points. My honor, arena, and various marks (Thanks for justifying my pedantic storing of Spirit Shards, Blizzard!) will get me 2174 new Honor. Again, that number can typically go up before conversion.

Now, my problem is that I know what I can earn with my current currency; even if I downtrade my Frosts for Triumphs I'll have enough for another piece of T9 gear, and I'm fairly close to getting another piece of Wintergrasp PvP gear at the moment. I've also amassed enough Stone Keeper's for a heirloom or two for my inevitable RetCow when Cataclysm hits. I know what I can buy now, but I have no idea what I can buy after the conversion.

As far as gear is concerned, I'm fairly certain that anything I have now will help me throughout a fair amount of the next five levels. T9 might get me laughed at in parties, but I kinda remember spending most of the last ten levels wearing an Ebon Netherscale set and a pair of Shoulders of Lightning Reflexes - I went through more trinkets and weapons than I did with apparel. I've also very little doubt that the WG PvP Heirlooms will help my new Paladin in levelling on my server.

Since I'm not much a hoarder, is it better to cash in now while I'm absolutely certain as to what I can get or gamble on the conversion potentially giving me a little more for less? I've seen a lot about how all the old emblems, marks, and points are being converted but practically nothing about the price conversions of current equipment.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
(10-05-2010, 08:31 PM)NiteFox Wrote: Since I'm not much a hoarder, is it better to cash in now while I'm absolutely certain as to what I can get or gamble on the conversion potentially giving me a little more for less? I've seen a lot about how all the old emblems, marks, and points are being converted but practically nothing about the price conversions of current equipment.

I'm not sure either. I've got a druid that is at about 12 hours /played at 80 now so what I've done is spent my EoT on things that I would get for gear now even after conversion. Mostly that means rings and stuff since there aren't any "T10 equivalent" rings and I did get a couple of idols. The ilvl 264 (frost badge) ones are better but they aren't that much better. Cata is set for Dec 7, but I'm still expecting that to get pushed back. So I'll still get a few months out of gear I get now, and that still matters. I don't see a lot of point hoarding the points for L85 so I'm spending with the new druid. The already capped pally and hunter haven't spent any triumph, but I have spent on T10 gear and will spend on more of it after the conversion.

Basically I'm not worrying about it because I just don't see a huge long term impact either way. Smile
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
(10-05-2010, 08:40 PM)Gnollguy Wrote: Cata is set for Dec 7, but I'm still expecting that to get pushed back.

It won't get pushed back.

If they've announced it, that means they've already paid for the primo shelf space at brick and mortar stores for that date. Those contracts are set IN STONE. They will be out millions if the release date changes. The suits will not allow that. They've said December 7th, it will be December 7th.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
(10-05-2010, 10:56 PM)Concillian Wrote:
(10-05-2010, 08:40 PM)Gnollguy Wrote: Cata is set for Dec 7, but I'm still expecting that to get pushed back.

It won't get pushed back.

If they've announced it, that means they've already paid for the primo shelf space at brick and mortar stores for that date. Those contracts are set IN STONE. They will be out millions if the release date changes. The suits will not allow that. They've said December 7th, it will be December 7th.

I'm pretty sure they pushed back Burning Crusade after setting a release date, which is why it came out in January. But seem to recall a set release date being set in December.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
From what I gather, Frost Emblem items will keep the same relative price after the conversion. So for example, a Primordial Saronite costs 23 Frost emblems, which converts to 266 JP, which is what they will cost after the patch. However, both Frost and Triumph badges convert to the same amount of JP. That means that you can effectively buy T10 gear with Triumph badges after the conversion.

Heirloom gear is going up in price, so if you had your eye on anything, buy it before the patch. Smile
I don't recall TBC being pushed back once the release date was set, but it's been a while.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
(10-04-2010, 02:42 PM)Shamago Wrote: The commendation tokens I'm not sure of. I had 5 of the bravery commendations from arena points on a character transferred to the PTR, and they turned into a white item with no use: ability, the stack of which sold for some 80ish gold. Don't have a clue about wintergrasp commendations.

My druid found twenty old Wintergrasp Commendations still in her mail. As I recall they are now good for 50 honor, down from 2000.
They likely just give honor points instead of honor. They aren't a separate currency, after all.
AngelWelcome to F1 Fanatic world.
(11-14-2010, 02:36 AM)netrefugee Wrote: They likely just give honor points instead of honor. They aren't a separate currency, after all.

Several vapid posts in a row from you. I think you should go back to Lurking until you have a better idea of what is expected from a poster on the Lounge.
(11-15-2010, 12:32 AM)Tal Wrote: Several vapid posts in a row from you. I think you should go back to Lurking until you have a better idea of what is expected from a poster on the Lounge.

check the sig. He probably added it after all the posts.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
(11-15-2010, 01:00 AM)Concillian Wrote:
(11-15-2010, 12:32 AM)Tal Wrote: Several vapid posts in a row from you. I think you should go back to Lurking until you have a better idea of what is expected from a poster on the Lounge.

check the sig. He probably added it after all the posts.

He's had that since the beginning. The site seems innocent enough and nothing screamed at me when I loaded it on the test box.