A case study: newb to ICC.
For those of you on Terenas, you know that I recently leveled my Shaman alt to 80, and then got him ICC ready for a project over on Maintankadin.

The basis was: Can I get from Freshly Dinged 80 to inside the halls of Icecrown Citadel killing a raid boss in 24 hours of play? Well, that is pretty easy when you have a great guild like <Lurkers> behind you. I'm sure that I could do it in far less than that.

But, what if I did it without the guild helping me, towing me, giving me free instant tank queues? What if I didn't use my other toons professions? Or my bank roll? What if I was essentially starting over?

Well, I guess you could say that I 'blogged' the experience. I prefer: Kept detailed notes about everything I did from 70 to 80 in an effort to see how it went.

The original Maintankadin case Study was indeed to see if you could get a tank ready in that amount of time. Barathorn's Case Study is the original, and was a success. My Case Study is finished, and I'm in the process of combing through the data to see how it all went. I have my first round of results up (page 14), and will be looking over the data a little more and seeing what I can find.

There are 2 more case studies being performed, but neither have started the thread for their project. There is a Warlock for ranged/Caster DPS, and a Resto Druid for healing. I will post links to their when they are done.

I did complete the case study, and I was actually done with Lower Spire around the end of the 24 hours. I finished up Sunday, Sept 5th in a pug that was led by <Prophets of Serenity>

I knew that there were some people who were interested in it, so I figured I would toss this up.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
Ugh. My hunter has no upgrades left for triumph, 3/5 tier 10, and a number of ToC-25 pieces and still can't get into an ICC10 pug. I haven't even been able to get inside the instance and demonstrate that I f'in destroy people on the damage meters because I know what the hell I'm doing.

That guy with a Zod's, 600 hit, 115 arp, and no set bonuses is aaaaall good, though. Whoops he just did 2/3rds of my damage in ToC-25.

It's depressing.

I'm not playing right now due to financial issues, the start of the new college semester, and that I would be a shiny golden god if I could just have the right night off to get into one of my guild's alt runs and get an achievement and a damage meters screen shot to shove in peoples' faces.
(09-07-2010, 03:33 PM)shoju Wrote: I knew that there were some people who were interested in it, so I figured I would toss this up.

Thanks for posting this Shoju since it happens to fall right in with my attempts to gear up my new 80 tank. Big Grin
Yup Smile I have to say, limiting myself the way I did was a blast. Cursing at my stupid slow mount, and need to get taxi's to quest, wanting to buy that awesome hilt in trade but knowing that I only have 800g towards the purchase, Actually having to PLAN when I have enough upgrades to gem and enchant so that I don't have to redo it all. It was very refreshing.

@bob. That is rough to hear. I was very fortunate that I was able to get the group I did. When I first responded to the group with my GS, I was turned down. It wasn't until a warlock in the raid who wasn't the Raid Leader inspected me that I got in.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(09-07-2010, 04:31 PM)Bob the Beholder Wrote: Ugh. My hunter has no upgrades left for triumph, 3/5 tier 10, and a number of ToC-25 pieces and still can't get into an ICC10 pug. I haven't even been able to get inside the instance and demonstrate that I f'in destroy people on the damage meters because I know what the hell I'm doing.

What are they requiring? Our server is usually 5k GS, which is mostly attainable, but not exclusively with triumph badges. Sounds like you should be there at your gearing. Sounds like they're requiring significantly higher GS. I take it that it's a fairly "progressed" server?

I think it's a problem that people can't judge your play capability outside of actually playing with you. Since they can only judge your gear, that's what they judge, but I think there should be some basic solo instance with tiered DPS achievements so it's easier to judge actual capability. Something like the portion of the LK fight where you're put inside Frostmourne and must help King Terenas, but for a set time instead of a set health pool (probably 2-3 minutes to coincide with the length of many cooldowns. Then have achievements for increasing levels of DPS. I don't think it'd be perfect, but it would be a LOT better than judging by gear score.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
(09-07-2010, 06:48 PM)Concillian Wrote:
(09-07-2010, 04:31 PM)Bob the Beholder Wrote: Ugh. My hunter has no upgrades left for triumph, 3/5 tier 10, and a number of ToC-25 pieces and still can't get into an ICC10 pug. I haven't even been able to get inside the instance and demonstrate that I f'in destroy people on the damage meters because I know what the hell I'm doing.

What are they requiring? Our server is usually 5k GS, which is mostly attainable, but not exclusively with triumph badges. Sounds like you should be there at your gearing. Sounds like they're requiring significantly higher GS. I take it that it's a fairly "progressed" server?

I think it's a problem that people can't judge your play capability outside of actually playing with you. Since they can only judge your gear, that's what they judge, but I think there should be some basic solo instance with tiered DPS achievements so it's easier to judge actual capability. Something like the portion of the LK fight where you're put inside Frostmourne and must help King Terenas, but for a set time instead of a set health pool (probably 2-3 minutes to coincide with the length of many cooldowns. Then have achievements for increasing levels of DPS. I don't think it'd be perfect, but it would be a LOT better than judging by gear score.

The standard a few weeks ago when I was playing was about 2.9k wowheroes gearscore. Which corresponds to at least 5400 on the addon, I think.

And I would probably be there, except that I'm using gear that is better for DPS, rather than gear that is higher ilevel. Like the dual 128 hit trinkets over my mirror of truth.
Enjoyable read! Cool stuff.
its very nice case,...
very great and useful informative reading of this case,...cool stuff,..
(11-02-2010, 06:52 AM)Harrison jess Wrote: its very nice case,...
very great and useful informative reading of this case,...cool stuff,..

Kill it.. kill it now.. before it infects us all.. RUN!!!!
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Cool stuff.
AngelWelcome to F1 Fanatic world.