Hoping a Lurker has a solution.
(10-31-2010, 10:21 PM)LavCat Wrote:
(10-31-2010, 10:01 PM)shoju Wrote: Windows 7 also isn't soley 64 bit.

I'm running 32 bit win7 pro on 8 systems at work.

I used diskpart to make the partitions.

True.

Did you use the Windows 7 diskpart from the Windows 7 32 installation disc to create your partitions? What are the partitions you created? And to which partition are you installing Windows 7?

Yes. I used it straight from the install disks. I made 3 partitions. 1 for the os without letter, the standard c. There is a d drive that backs up the profile information from the computer once I get them up and running.

(11-01-2010, 05:45 AM)yangman Wrote:
(10-30-2010, 12:01 AM)shoju Wrote: They are 1.8ghz dell boxes. They came with windows XP SP2 installed on them. They give me an error when installing that

This system cannot install the selected windows product. For more information, please consult the windows compatibility guide at microsoft.com
(paraphrased) ...

Check your BIOS settings as well. It may be that master boot record protection is on, or you have a Dell system with OS Install Mode still enabled which restricts effective RAM to 256MB.

I will take a look at that. i didn't think about that.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(11-01-2010, 12:10 PM)shoju Wrote: Yes. I used it straight from the install disks. I made 3 partitions. 1 for the os without letter, the standard c. There is a d drive that backs up the profile information from the computer once I get them up and running.

I may be out of ideas then, sorry. It has been several months since I've done an installation, so I am not sure of this, but just to check, to which of your partitions are you trying to install Windows?
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Not a problem. I think I have a source for Windows XP Pro, which just eliminates the problem all together.

I'm trying to install it to the small partition made for the OS, which is what it defaulted to.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(11-01-2010, 04:56 PM)shoju Wrote: Not a problem. I think I have a source for Windows XP Pro, which just eliminates the problem all together.

I'm trying to install it to the small partition made for the OS, which is what it defaulted to.

How small is the partition? I'm using a 2G system partition and a 60G boot partition (of which a little more than 20G is used). Have you tried installing to an unpartitioned drive just to test if it works? It sounds like you are not allowing Windows to have a separate system partition as it likes, but that should not prevent Windows from installing.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
I'm using 25g / 25g on both machines, as they don't store data outside of emails. The UPS database has been migrated over to the server already, as that hd was almost to capacity just with that DB on it.