Query: for those who can read Arabic
Work-related question:

We are working on an information sheet that needs to be published in several languages, one of which is Arabic.

If there are two columns of information that, in the English version, would be shown with the 'read this first' column on the left, should they be reversed so that the 'read this first' column is on the right in the Arabic version?

Logically, I am thinking the answer is yes. But it would be helpful to have this confirmed by someone who actually reads the language. (And Google has not been helpful.)
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

The arabic language reads from top to bottom, right to left.

Are you using actual Arabic script or is it transliteration?

If it's transliteration you would just display it as if it were english.
(12-14-2010, 09:04 PM)Chesspiece_face Wrote: The arabic language reads from top to bottom, right to left.

Are you using actual Arabic script or is it transliteration?

If it's transliteration you would just display it as if it were english.

To clarify:

It is 'actual Arabic script'. Our art department is cutting and pasting from the copy deck to the layout.

And, given that we know Arabic reads from top to bottom but from right to left, we are thinking that the two columns should be swapped.

Think of it as if it were a newspaper page with two columns. In the English version, the left column is read first and then the right column.

I want confirmation (or denial) that an Arabic reader would read the right column first and then the left column (and that hence the two columns should be swapped in the Arabic version).
When civility survives,
I know nice from right.

(12-14-2010, 09:12 PM)ShadowHM Wrote: I want confirmation (or denial) that an Arabic reader would read the right column first and then the left column (and that hence the two columns should be swapped in the Arabic version).

Correct.
(12-14-2010, 09:31 PM)Chesspiece_face Wrote: Correct.

Thanks!
When civility survives,
I know nice from right.