full lunar eclipse tonight
for those that will be up.

from 11:59 PM to 5:00 AM central time tonight, there will be a full lunar eclipse. The next one will not be until 2092.

Enjoy folks

Have a good evening.

Jabberwolky
Won't be seeing it tonight on account of the weather. There's water— falling out of the sky! Thirty years in California, and I've never seen the like...
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Hi,

(12-21-2010, 01:20 AM)Rhydderch Hael Wrote: Won't be seeing it tonight on account of the weather. There's water— falling out of the sky! Thirty years in California, and I've never seen the like...

Yeah. I live near Seattle. It's December. It's raining. One of those is redundant. Smile

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

(12-21-2010, 12:22 AM)Jabberwolky Wrote: for those that will be up.

from 11:59 PM to 5:00 AM central time tonight, there will be a full lunar eclipse. The next one will not be until 2092.

Enjoy folks

Have a good evening.

Jabberwolky

2092!?!?! Lunar eclipses are a dime a dozen. There are at least two a year, although they may be in various places around the world and they may be partial or total. Total eclipses on the winter solstice might be rare, but no rarer than an eclipse on any other particular day.
If this was the book thread I would recommend Isaac Asimov's Nightfall short story.

Oh, what the heck, I'll recommend it here since eclipses (eclipsi?) are the common theme.
"Nothing unreal exists."
-- Kiri-kin-tha
(12-21-2010, 12:22 AM)Jabberwolky Wrote: for those that will be up.

Enjoy folks

Have a good evening.

Jabberwolky

Thanks for the heads (literally) up. It is beautifully clear here in New Jersey.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
We had 6 more inches of snow yesterday. No eclipses here.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

For those who missed it due to weather or the time it was at, this is a nice time lapse from a location in Florida.

http://www.talkingscience.org/2010/12/wi...r-eclipse/
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Hi,

(12-22-2010, 04:10 AM)Gnollguy Wrote: For those who missed it due to weather or the time it was at, this is a nice time lapse from a location in Florida.

http://www.talkingscience.org/2010/12/wi...r-eclipse/

Thanks for that link. It was early enough, here, but with 10/10 cloud cover ... Well, you get the picture.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

My 8 year old was incredibly bummed that the eclipse was so late. He is all about space and meteorology. Thanks for the link, While it wont be the same as watching it live (was at 1am ish my time) he will have a blast looking at the links.

He is one of those kids who have a career path in mind already, and I doubt he is going to change his mind. Since he was 5 he has been infatuated with storms, watches the weather channel whenever possible, has written a letter to Jim Cantore of the weather channel (his hero) and received a typed response, and then his original letter with a hand written note from Cantore. He wants to watch storms and track their patterns... preferably from a space station.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
I actually woke up my nine year old to see it. Only issue was in the morning she told the seven year old, who was then mad she didn't get to see it.
My 8 year old is a total pain in the rear when he is tired. I beg and plead with him to sleep in. I wanted to wake him up, but there was no way I wanted to listen to his crankiness.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
I missed it due to the Earth being in the way.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields