I live in a snowbelt. It sucks to be me.
I live in southern Ontario, Canada. I am surrounded by 3 of the Great Lakes. "Lake Effect" snow is troublesome for us. This year, it is more troublesome than usual. Last week we had 5 feet of snow in a 3-day span. It was harsh. Then we had a brief reprieve from the snow. I think I even had a day when I did not have to shovel.

It started snowing again today, rather heavily. I went out and brushed off both cars and shoveled out the driveway, thinking the snow was going to slow down.

Well, about AN HOUR LATER I looked outside and...

BEHOLD!
[Image: cKUoi.jpg]

Those two cars on the left were virtually snow-free, and the driveway was clear. We got that much snow in one hour. It's about 6"-8" deep, and the snow is still going strong.

I just back from shoveling my driveway for the 3rd time in the last 4 hours, and it looks like I never even touched it.

If the beer store is closed tomorrow due to all this snow I am going to punch something.
(12-15-2010, 04:57 AM)DeeBye Wrote: Last week we had 5 feet of snow in a 3-day span. [...] It started snowing again today, rather heavily. [...] It's about 6"-8" deep, and the snow is still going strong.

Yikes! While I'm no stranger to heavy snow, last week's storm was quite moderate for central Indiana where I live. About 4 inches and with drifting there is about a foot in my driveway. I will have to shovel today since I need to go out.

Quote:If the beer store is closed tomorrow due to all this snow I am going to punch something.

When it comes to such necessities of life, you might consider stocking up ahead of time. Big Grin
"Nothing unreal exists."
-- Kiri-kin-tha
At least you have the candy cane lampost.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
Yeah, we were pretty snow free up until last Saturday's storm. We had 17" over night, then the temp dropped into -4F to -10F on Sunday. Being that we are semi-rural, I take a minimalist approach to shoveling. I have 4WD, so I just create an ever larger snow pack where I park, but I have to shovel enough for my wife's car to get into the garage (mostly knocking down the small mountains piled up blocking the driveway by the plows). I pay my sons some money to shovel the walkways.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

(12-15-2010, 04:57 AM)DeeBye Wrote: I live in southern Ontario, Canada. I am surrounded by 3 of the Great Lakes. "Lake Effect" snow is troublesome for us. This year, it is more troublesome than usual.
--[snip]--

It's times like these when I'm glad I moved south after graduating from Syracuse. I can remember one big storm when I was in school when the snow was piled high enough in the front yard that my neighbors were jumping off the roof of their porch, but when I heard that it had been snowing in Syracuse for something like 80 straight hours, the metro DC winters don't seem so bad. Though, down here, an inch of snow shuts down the city.
but often it happens you know / that the things you don't trust are the ones you need most....
Opening lines of "Psalm" by Hey Rosetta!
Thank you for posting the pix, DeeBye! I have been nagging my friends who live there for some, but none have been forthcoming yet. (There was some mumbling about a broken camera.) There was a rather emphatic statement that the snowblower has utterly ceased being a fun toy. ;-)

I hear that both Western and Fanshawe are closed today. And that Hwy 402 is still not completely opened yet. Here is hoping the beer store truck drivers get through for you!
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Hi,

We need an international law restricting snow to the mountains. All that pretty, puffy, white stuff and not a chair lift to be seen. It just ain't natural. Sad

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

(12-15-2010, 06:29 PM)--Pete Wrote: We need an international law restricting snow to the mountains.

Good idea.

Or perhaps it should only snow during the summertime when it's warm enough to enjoy it. Cool
"Nothing unreal exists."
-- Kiri-kin-tha
(12-15-2010, 04:40 PM)ShadowHM Wrote: Here is hoping the beer store truck drivers get through for you!

The roads are pretty clear today. London is doing really well keeping the city moving. My fridge is now freshly stocked with beer too.
(12-15-2010, 03:50 PM)Wyrm Wrote: At least you have the candy cane lampost.

My wife's idea Heart
http://www.wimp.com/janitorrevenge/

Just shovel a little path through that. Wink
Intolerant monkey.
(12-16-2010, 01:28 AM)Treesh Wrote: http://www.wimp.com/janitorrevenge/

Just shovel a little path through that. Wink

That wouldn't work here. We'd just trudge through the snow. Canadians are hardcore like that.
Stupid Edmonton weather *grumble grumble*. It's not nearly as bad as Ontario but we've been snowing for over a day now and it's apparently not going to stop until Monday. I shoveled three times yesterday and once today already. If only I could just hibernate until it was done snowing. Big Grin
Currently a PoE junkie. Wheeeeee
Is now a good time to mention that I signed a contract (lease) last summer that includes a provision that for the next ten years somebody else has the legal obligation to make sure all snow is cleared on my sidewalk and parking space? Angel Tongue
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Now that sounds awesome! More time for Borderlands! I'm still trying to teach my huskies to drag a plow, but they really don't seem to be getting it.

(12-16-2010, 06:26 PM)ShadowHM Wrote: Is now a good time to mention that I signed a contract (lease) last summer that includes a provision that for the next ten years somebody else has the legal obligation to make sure all snow is cleared on my sidewalk and parking space? Angel Tongue
(12-16-2010, 07:33 PM)VinnieJones Wrote: Now that sounds awesome! More time for Borderlands! I'm still trying to teach my huskies to drag a plow, but they really don't seem to be getting it.

(12-16-2010, 06:26 PM)ShadowHM Wrote: Is now a good time to mention that I signed a contract (lease) last summer that includes a provision that for the next ten years somebody else has the legal obligation to make sure all snow is cleared on my sidewalk and parking space? Angel Tongue
My 10 year old has discovered his shoveling skills are earning him $$$. I give him $2.50 for our sidewalks each time we get > 2" of snow. The neighbor is giving him $3 Exclamation I'm being outbid! A miniature lesson of capitalism in action, and the mobility of labor.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Hi,

(12-16-2010, 07:33 PM)VinnieJones Wrote: I'm still trying to teach my huskies to drag a plow, but they really don't seem to be getting it.

Oh, I suspect they get it alright -- "If we do it this time, he'll want us to do it every time it snows from now on. Forget that!" Wink

Smarter than the average Husky (and I should know, there's lots of them around here. Smile

Just kidding, TD. Smile

--Pete

Big Grin
Yeah, they are usually smart as long as it serves their purposes. Bloody norther dogs. Oh well, they are nice and fluffy and cuddly this time of year, good for keeping warm with on the couch.
(12-16-2010, 10:32 PM)kandrathe Wrote: My 10 year old has discovered his shoveling skills are earning him $$$. I give him $2.50 for our sidewalks each time we get > 2" of snow. The neighbor is giving him $3 Exclamation I'm being outbid! A miniature lesson of capitalism in action, and the mobility of labor.

I've thought about that tactic, but my 4 yr old doesn't have an idea of what the money could get him... I guess we'll have to wait for a few years before that will work around our house.
but often it happens you know / that the things you don't trust are the ones you need most....
Opening lines of "Psalm" by Hey Rosetta!
Hi,

(12-17-2010, 07:54 PM)VinnieJones Wrote: Oh well, they are nice and fluffy and cuddly this time of year, good for keeping warm with on the couch.

Yep, hence Three Dog Night. One of the best group names. Ever.

--Pete