Happy Holidays
Hi,

(12-30-2010, 08:11 AM)kandrathe Wrote: The two commandment people... you know, love God, love your neighbors.

"Love"?

Enlightened self interest is sufficient and central to 'treat others as you would be treated'. It is the basis of all rational laws, of the social compacts that lead to non-oppressive government, indeed, of all the 'good' attributed to religion. The only love involved is love of self.

I can think of absolutely nothing that a love of god does. Indeed, I can't even understand what it means.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

(12-31-2010, 12:43 AM)--Pete Wrote: Hi,

(12-30-2010, 08:11 AM)kandrathe Wrote: The two commandment people... you know, love God, love your neighbors.

"Love"?

Enlightened self interest is sufficient and central to 'treat others as you would be treated'. It is the basis of all rational laws, of the social compacts that lead to non-oppressive government, indeed, of all the 'good' attributed to religion. The only love involved is love of self.
Or... selflessness. When not co-opted by power hungry megalomaniacs, the original concepts were a devoted communalism. It is not like, I actually "Love" my neighbors as I would my friends... But, I wouldn't let them suffer if I could help them. They are actually nice people, but we don't really hang out together much. I wouldn't do it because I believe there is something in it for me, like their gratitude, reciprocity, or even that warm feeling deep inside. I do it, just as I would for hungry birds on my back porch, or when I toss some corn cobs near the pines where the local deer herd beds down. I do it, because they need it and I don't. I know I am a part of a greater whole, and if everyone adopted the same "take care of each other" philosophy (by choice, not law) then the world would be a happier, nicer place. Here is where I'm heavily influenced by Eastern philosophies.

Quote:I can think of absolutely nothing that a love of god does. Indeed, I can't even understand what it means.
I know. Wink
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Hi,

(12-31-2010, 09:41 AM)kandrathe Wrote: Or... selflessness.

Even selflessness is ultimately based on self interest, but on a different level.

(12-31-2010, 09:41 AM)kandrathe Wrote: When not co-opted by power hungry megalomaniacs, the original concepts were a devoted communalism.

I suspect there was never such a time. Primates tend to group into bands with the biggest, meanest, cleverest male being in charge and the pecking order going down in some fashion based on those attributes. I doubt if it was any different when the first 'humans' (whatever that means) evolved. And I don't see all that much difference today.

(12-31-2010, 09:41 AM)kandrathe Wrote: But, I wouldn't let them suffer if I could help them. They are actually nice people, but we don't really hang out together much. I wouldn't do it because I believe there is something in it for me, like their gratitude, reciprocity, or even that warm feeling deep inside.

No, you do it because there are survival instincts at various levels. The survival of your specific DNA (which makes you put the lives of your children ahead of your own), the survival of your familial DNA (which is why "Blood is thicker than water"), and then the survival of the DNA of the species (which is why altruism exists -- and can be expressed as long as it doesn't interfere with the higher priorities -- which is why you'll kill a healthy enemy and try to cure a wounded one).

(12-31-2010, 09:41 AM)kandrathe Wrote: I do it, just as I would for hungry birds on my back porch, or when I toss some corn cobs near the pines where the local deer herd beds down. I do it, because they need it and I don't. I know I am a part of a greater whole, ...

Yes, it does feel that way. But I suspect the reality is more bound with survival than anything else. The fault isn't with the science, but with the scientist. Failure to generate an explanation does not mean there isn't one -- and, in the end, a prosaic one at that.

(12-31-2010, 09:41 AM)kandrathe Wrote: ... and if everyone adopted the same "take care of each other" philosophy (by choice, not law) then the world would be a happier, nicer place.

If our ancestors sprouted wings, we'd be an arboreal species. The balance of altruism and selfishness that exists in all of us is the result of millenia of evolution. It is the balance that best served our DNA. The survival characteristics developed over an extensive period of pre-civilized life may not be the ideal for the past eight or so millenia of living in cities, but that span is too short (especially since civilization takes a lot of the 'selectors' away) to have changed us much, if at all. You're not going to change it, not by law nor by desire.

--Pete

Does Santa exist? Around where I live the real question is, how does he survive? Christmas is right in the middle of deer season. How come hunters have never shot down Santa's sleigh? Because he rides at night perhaps? In that case how come nobody has ever shot Santa? He does break into homes in the middle of the night.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
(01-02-2011, 08:50 PM)Alram Wrote: Does Santa exist? Around where I live the real question is, how does he survive? Christmas is right in the middle of deer season. How come hunters have never shot down Santa's sleigh? Because he rides at night perhaps? In that case how come nobody has ever shot Santa? He does break into homes in the middle of the night.

That may be why he wears the bright red clothing.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Hi,

(01-02-2011, 10:53 PM)LavCat Wrote: That may be why he wears the bright red clothing.

Doesn't help.

--Pete

(01-03-2011, 03:14 PM)--Pete Wrote: Hi,

(01-02-2011, 10:53 PM)LavCat Wrote: That may be why he wears the bright red clothing.

Doesn't help.

--Pete

I've been a Tom Lehrer fan for almost fifty years.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Hi,

(01-03-2011, 11:02 PM)LavCat Wrote: I've been a Tom Lehrer fan for almost fifty years.

... Tom Lehrer, who has been my particular idol since childbirth ...

--Pete

(01-04-2011, 12:06 AM)--Pete Wrote: Hi,

(01-03-2011, 11:02 PM)LavCat Wrote: I've been a Tom Lehrer fan for almost fifty years.

... Tom Lehrer, who has been my particular idol since childbirth ...

--Pete

National Brotherhood Week

One of the BIGGEST LAUGHS I ever had in my life.
[Image: Sabra%20gold%20copy.jpg]

I blame Tal.

Sabramage Authenticated!