Bar mods?
I've been playing a druid lately and it is making me feel like I need a bar mod. Normally I avoid mods as much as possible (I'm only running Skada at the moment), but I think a bar one might be necessary. So I'm looking for recommendations.

My issue is that the default UI only changes all the bars when switching specs. So for my feral spec, I can't optimize for bear/cat to the degree that I would like to. I need a mod that will let me configure 5ish bar sets that I can then switch to when I need to perform a certain roll. So I can have one for healing, tanking, melee dps, ranged dps, pvp, and anything else I think of.

I'd prefer a mod that is as focused on the task as possible. I realize it's unlikely I'll find one that just allows for that and nothing else, but as minimal as possible would be my preference. Do people have a mod they would recommend for this? I've heard of bartender before. (haven't tried it myself) Is that still the one to go with or are their other options now?
I still use Bartender4, so that would be my recommendation.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
I love Bartender 4. I have a balance / Feral druid at 60 that I have used with it, and I reallly like the functionality I have been able to get from it so far.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
Another Bartender user, works for my druid. I have bars for default (caster/tree form), bear tank, cat dps. It swaps two bars around based on the role, leaving the other bars unchanged. While it triggers based on the form I'm in, you can set it to work off other triggers, I think, so you may get it set to give you a pvp swap, haven't tried.
I went ahead and grabbed bartender and have been using it. Seems that it will do the job. Doesn't quite give me enough bars to do everything for all specs in one profile so I'll have to make a couple different profiles. Does the job though.
If you want something that works more with the default UI, you might want to see if action bar saver is still being maintained. It was invaluable before Blizzard did the bars via specs, and even after since I would triple/quadruple spec still. You could use it to manually reload bars whenever. Since I had remapped the hotkeys in the default UI pretty extensively, this one worked quite well and is very minimalistic.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
(01-15-2011, 09:21 PM)swirly Wrote: I went ahead and grabbed bartender and have been using it. Seems that it will do the job. Doesn't quite give me enough bars to do everything for all specs in one profile so I'll have to make a couple different profiles. Does the job though.

Remember, each spec you have will have it's own set of bars. 144 buttons per spec should be plenty. If you are actually using more than 2 specs, then yes action bar saver is a huge life saver.

I really like using modifier keys to change my bars. I have it setup so that the keyboard keys on the left side map to 2 bars each bar configured 5x2 giving me an overall grid of 5x4. I then map 1-5,q-t,a-g,z-b to these bars. I then use shift, alt, and button 4 to switch to different bars in this layout. Gives me 80 total buttons in easy keybinding access. I absolutely love having my bars setup this way.

I also take advantage of bartenders shape shifting feature so I have a different set of bars if I'm in cat, bear, or caster form.

(01-16-2011, 07:58 PM)PapaSmurf Wrote: I really like using modifier keys to change my bars. I have it setup so that the keyboard keys on the left side map to 2 bars each bar configured 5x2 giving me an overall grid of 5x4. I then map 1-5,q-t,a-g,z-b to these bars. I then use shift, alt, and button 4 to switch to different bars in this layout. Gives me 80 total buttons in easy keybinding access. I absolutely love having my bars setup this way.

So you have strafe and backpedal on your mouse then?

This setup intrigues me.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
(01-21-2011, 07:34 PM)Concillian Wrote:
(01-16-2011, 07:58 PM)PapaSmurf Wrote: I really like using modifier keys to change my bars. I have it setup so that the keyboard keys on the left side map to 2 bars each bar configured 5x2 giving me an overall grid of 5x4. I then map 1-5,q-t,a-g,z-b to these bars. I then use shift, alt, and button 4 to switch to different bars in this layout. Gives me 80 total buttons in easy keybinding access. I absolutely love having my bars setup this way.

So you have strafe and backpedal on your mouse then?

This setup intrigues me.

Actually no, I leave asdw blank. In fact I put "dummy macros" there just to remind me that I can't put skills there. But I can use shift-a, alt-a, button4-a.

It sounds like PS uses a very similar keyboard setup to what I do. I use 1-4, qwer, asdf,zxcv with crtr alt and shift modifiers while still leaving wasd for movement.
Currently a PoE junkie. Wheeeeee