Need Help Picking a Book
(01-22-2011, 01:46 AM)Chesspiece_face Wrote: Sounds like you are looking for Stephen King's The Eyes of the Dragon.

Wonderful book.

I forgot about this book! Truly fantastic read, not too long either.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
Another vote for A Song of Ice and Fire from me. I'll add that the TV series, Game of Thrones, is starting this April 17th on HBO -- the first season will cover the first book, or so I understand.

I can understand if anyone is hesitant to get into the series -- the series becomes somewhat complicated, is as yet unfinished, and Martin has been working on the latest book for a very long time. The reason for the delays are many, including him working on other projects often (like Wild Cards).

But the books are great. Martin doesn't shy away from much, and actions have more realistic consequences than most other books I've read.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
Hi,

(01-27-2011, 08:36 PM)Taelas Wrote: I can understand if anyone is hesitant to get into the series -- the series becomes somewhat complicated, is as yet unfinished, and Martin has been working on the latest book for a very long time. The reason for the delays are many, including him working on other projects often (like Wild Cards).

I've sworn off series that are incomplete. All too often, they remain incomplete either because the author has lost interest, because the author has run out of anything to say, or because the author keeps finding new stuff to say making it a never ending serial. Sometimes, the author had a great idea for the journey, but no clue as to the destination (Farmer's Riverworld, Lost the TV series) souring a good experience with the aftertaste.

So, now, I wait for a series to be completed and the ending to be worth the effort before I start it. And, if by doing so, I miss something good, so be it. There are a lot more books, a lot more movies, a lot more games, a lot more television, a lot more conversations, and a lot more activities than can be done by any one individual in a single life span. I don't mind missing some good if it buys me time for a little excellent.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:All too often, they remain incomplete either because the author has lost interest, because the author has run out of anything to say, or because the author keeps finding new stuff to say making it a never ending serial.

RIP Robert Jordan.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
(01-21-2011, 04:52 AM)MEAT Wrote: peoples actions have serious consequences... something more adult in nature... fantasy setting... historic in nature... a bit dark... definitely more on the realistic side... bit of magic...

You are definately looking for Lyonesse, from the Master of Fantasy himself: Jack Vance.
I started the Fire and Ice series based on tons of feedback, and so far it's better than I expected! It's gritty, but fantastic at the same time, and the writer paints a vivid picture without filling a chapter on the details. A great start so far.

I should mention this is my first Kindle purchase also; got it on my Droid X. Does anybody with Kindle experience know if I can transfer my book to a stand-alone Kindle device later on? I was highly considering getting one for myself for my birthday.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
I recommend "A game of thrones" by George R.R. Martin. It's dark fantasy with a lot of politics and backstabbing, resulting in murder and all kinds of nastiness. I liked it, and it's definately adult fantasy.

Edit: must read full thread. Meh. The HBO series is news to me. I'll certainly have a look at that.
Former www.diablo2.com webmaster.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
(02-26-2011, 07:19 AM)MEAT Wrote: I started the Fire and Ice series based on tons of feedback, and so far it's better than I expected! It's gritty, but fantastic at the same time, and the writer paints a vivid picture without filling a chapter on the details. A great start so far.

I should mention this is my first Kindle purchase also; got it on my Droid X. Does anybody with Kindle experience know if I can transfer my book to a stand-alone Kindle device later on? I was highly considering getting one for myself for my birthday.

If your local library offers ebook/audiobook downloads you'll want to consider the Nook. The Kindle is not compatible.

To answer your question - you should be able to x-fer it to a stand-alone Kindle. That's a selling point for Amazon.
(03-03-2011, 12:09 PM)Crusader Wrote: I recommend "A game of thrones" by George R.R. Martin. It's dark fantasy with a lot of politics and backstabbing, resulting in murder and all kinds of nastiness. I liked it, and it's definately adult fantasy.

Edit: must read full thread. Meh. The HBO series is news to me. I'll certainly have a look at that.

Well yeah, naturally. That's the first book in the series.
(03-03-2011, 02:20 PM)Tal Wrote:
(02-26-2011, 07:19 AM)MEAT Wrote: I started the Fire and Ice series based on tons of feedback, and so far it's better than I expected! It's gritty, but fantastic at the same time, and the writer paints a vivid picture without filling a chapter on the details. A great start so far.

If your local library offers ebook/audiobook downloads you'll want to consider the Nook. The Kindle is not compatible.

To answer your question - you should be able to x-fer it to a stand-alone Kindle. That's a selling point for Amazon.

Cool, good to know! I plan on getting a kindle for my birthday for a larger screen, although a Droid X makes a pretty nice reading devise also to be honest. If the screen were any smaller however, it would be awkward. Thanks for the heads up on the nook, however can the nook read kindles? If so, then I might have to weight my options carefully.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
The latest book in the series, A Dance with Dragons, finally got a release date this week. July 12th, 2011 -- yes, this year. Apparently while it is not "done", it is close enough to be a sure thing at this point.

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-update.html
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
I dunno whether these are all published in English, but I enjoyed the Markus Heitz books.
He's got a series about dwarfs, one about elves, and something called "Alfen" in Dutch (I have no idea how to translate this).
Try one ;-)
(03-06-2011, 11:25 PM)Jane Wrote: I dunno whether these are all published in English, but I enjoyed the Markus Heitz books.
He's got a series about dwarfs, one about elves, and something called "Alfen" in Dutch (I have no idea how to translate this).
Try one ;-)

Read those in German, where the "Alfen" are called "Albae", probably best described as a kind of Dark Elves with issues Smile.

Thoroughly enjoyed all series.

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
I just finished reading the Mistoborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson and Way of Kings which is the start of his new series called The Stormlight Archives.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
I want to jump in here as the new kid and say that I have found myself utterly enthralled by the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson. Ten books long, and nine of them have already been released with the tenth coming this spring, so those who only read complete series need not wait long!

The first book is Gardens of the Moon, and by the time it was over I was unable to wait to get the next one, I had to have it in my hands the same day. I bought the next five on the shopping trip after that, so they're all lined up waiting for me. After three books, so far, I still can't get enough. Gritty fantasy set in a historical-style world where everything is connected and the Old Gods are coming out to play... I think it's everything that MEAT is looking for, and the rest of you may enjoy it as well!

I'm also jotting down some of the suggestions that others have made, because I'm always looking for new things to read.
[Image: 4456451BAREs.png]