It snowed!
(02-09-2011, 05:16 AM)DeeBye Wrote: I see a lot of people in this thread saying that you need snow tires or studs or even chains to drive safely in winter conditions. You do not. You just need to be mindful of how your vehicle reacts in snow and adjust your driving accordingly. Slow the hell down and give yourself tons of error space.
Being a flat lander, I'd agree, but I've driven in places (i.e. the Rockies) where stopping to put on your snow chains is required.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

After a several cold days of temperatures in the 20s, we are back to pleasant days in the 60s and 70s here in central Texas. Sometimes I hear people say, "Don't you miss the seasons?" Not me. I was born and raised in the north, and you folks are welcome to enjoy all that snow and ice.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
(02-10-2011, 02:07 AM)kandrathe Wrote: Being a flat lander, I'd agree, but I've driven in places (i.e. the Rockies) where stopping to put on your snow chains is required.

Here's a fun video that demonstrates what can happen when you add hills into the snow / ice mix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX_KyLuhdDQ

My car's thermometer said it was in the 80s at some point on Sunday, but anywhere I go with snow, I swap my wheels to snows and carry my cords. Part of that is that I don't use all-season tires, I use summer / rain tires, but another part is that any direction you go from here that would have snow is, at least to some extent, up a hill (or down the other side.)

Also people around here have a bazillion accidents when it rains. If what happened to Alram, happened here, I'd seriously consider calling in sick just from fear of people who have no idea how to drive in any weather that isn't dry and sunny.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
(02-15-2011, 06:14 AM)Concillian Wrote: Here's a fun video that demonstrates what can happen when you add hills into the snow / ice mix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX_KyLuhdDQ

I think we've just discovered the future of the Winter X games.

I've never used chains or snow tires and never needed them for something like that, but I did decide to throw a shovel in the trunk after getting stuck halfway in a parking spot last year (and subsequently locking my keys in the car while trying to push out)! Around here I think the freezing rain tends to be more dangerous in terms of accidents than snow because people just take it too fast on the ice.
Hi,

(02-15-2011, 06:14 AM)Concillian Wrote: Also people around here have a bazillion accidents when it rains.

The only time I've ever come close to going off the road because of weather was because of water. It was in Phoenix, bright and sunny and dry except for one spot on the road where the previous night's rain had collected. Unfortunately, it was on a curve. I hit that at speed and was hydroplaning right for the rail when my front wheels hit dry land. A hairy second later, things were under control and my pulse dropped back into the three digits.

I hate surprises. Wink

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

(02-15-2011, 04:53 PM)--Pete Wrote: I hate surprises.
Yeah, me too. Around here, it is seldom for rain to be dangerously heavy for more than an hour. I usually either slow down to "crawl", or get off the road for gas/food.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]