Hiking Trail for those who are not faint of heart
My (opposite-of-acrophobic) son sent me a link to this video, inviting me to join him some day to hike this trail with him.

In its present form, I do not think I could manage it. Maybe after the refurbishment/repair that is scheduled to start this year?

Caminito del Rey

Enjoy!
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Hi,

Wow. Just wow! And here I thought parts of the Appalachian Trail were hairy. I'd have to grow hooves, horns, and a big saggy wool coat before I'd even try something like that. Smile

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

I like to hike on the trails behind Santa Barbara. Most are very nice and maintained by a group called the Montecito Trail Foundation, however a few are not at all well maintained, meaning trudging through brush almost double your height, steep inclines, a few drop-offs, sometimes the trail disappears and you have to hike out about 50 yards in an arc before you can find it again, wading through streams, thin ledge a foot (or less if the cliff face has eroded), etc.

Having said all that, I would not hike that trail! With those holes in the cement, any step is a potential death trap, as any portion of the floor could give way at any moment! Not to mention, I'm not so sure I'd trust the rope hand-rail either. If you do decide to go, tell us how your trip went Big Grin .
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
(02-03-2011, 11:18 PM)ShadowHM Wrote: My (opposite-of-acrophobic) son sent me a link to this video, inviting me to join him some day to hike this trail with him.

In its present form, I do not think I could manage it. Maybe after the refurbishment/repair that is scheduled to start this year?

Caminito del Rey

Enjoy!

Cool!

Do you have any idea where this is?
I did a hike to Angels landing in Zion once, which contained a short bit where you have to hold a rope....same steep cliffs there but this one is far more spectacular......looks like an old trail that they abandoned because it was to dangerous.
(02-04-2011, 11:31 AM)eppie Wrote:
(02-03-2011, 11:18 PM)ShadowHM Wrote: My (opposite-of-acrophobic) son sent me a link to this video, inviting me to join him some day to hike this trail with him.

Caminito del Rey

Enjoy!

Cool!

Do you have any idea where this is?
I did a hike to Angels landing in Zion once, which contained a short bit where you have to hold a rope....same steep cliffs there but this one is far more spectacular......looks like an old trail that they abandoned because it was to dangerous.
In Malaga, Spain...

You must hurry though. They are going to repair it.

http://www.euroweeklynews.com/2010121584...-2011.html
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

I think that I would pass. That looks like a good way for me to die, and I'm still young enough that I'm not interested in finding out what really is on the other side of that bridge.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
I would have done it in my youth. In fact, I did other death defying feats. But, alas, as a father, I need to think beyond myself. The kids depend on me being healthy and providing for them.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

(02-03-2011, 11:18 PM)ShadowHM Wrote: Enjoy!

I did! Thanks for sharing Smile.

While I'd like to think of myself as gutsy, videos like that teach me otherwise. Now I have to hunt for the video of that lovely road in South America my parents keep talking about...

take care
Tarabulus

EDIT:
There ya go, Stremnaya Road in Bolivia. My parents actually sent me a PP presentation, this video (which isn't too great) uses the images from there, or the other way around. There are also more clips on YouTube.
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
That looks awesome. Must do that.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm