Darkspore
Just wanted to point out that Darkspore is holding a public beta this weekend (and next?). I've only messed with a couple levels, so I'm not really sure of what I'm doing, but there is some fun to be had. It's sorta Diablo II where the player character is a squad of 3 genetically engineered creatures, each with there own abilities and fighting style, and the levels are busted up planets.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
(03-05-2011, 12:53 AM)LochnarITB Wrote: Just wanted to point out that Darkspore is holding a public beta this weekend (and next?). I've only messed with a couple levels, so I'm not really sure of what I'm doing, but there is some fun to be had. It's sorta Diablo II where the player character is a squad of 3 genetically engineered creatures, each with there own abilities and fighting style, and the levels are busted up planets.

But Loch! I just found a new game! Can't get involved in another one! *sigh*

Wink
Intolerant monkey.
(03-05-2011, 04:13 PM)Treesh Wrote:
(03-05-2011, 12:53 AM)LochnarITB Wrote: Just wanted to point out that Darkspore is holding a public beta this weekend (and next?). I've only messed with a couple levels, so I'm not really sure of what I'm doing, but there is some fun to be had. It's sorta Diablo II where the player character is a squad of 3 genetically engineered creatures, each with there own abilities and fighting style, and the levels are busted up planets.

But Loch! I just found a new game! Can't get involved in another one! *sigh*

Wink

Well, to be honest, I doubt I'll be buying it after the beta. Had I had the resources to support a second sub for Rift, I'd probably be where you are. Darkspore has the elements to be Diabloesque - find stuff, develop your toons, random layouts, etc. - but I doubt anything will ever be the hits that the Diablos have been (and will be?).
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
(03-05-2011, 04:59 PM)LochnarITB Wrote: Well, to be honest, I doubt I'll be buying it after the beta.

I messed up. That statement might be in question. I was having trouble hearing some of the sound through the generally decent laptop speakers. The other noise in the room - fan, tv, etc. - somewhat garbled it so I decided to try ear buds with it. At the same time, the melee member of the squad equipped a lightsaber like sword. The fist time I heard the swoosh buzz of the sword I knew I was in trouble. The sound has drawn me in. The graphics of the creatures and the various chunks of planet are decent. The storyline, with the computer voice narrating the journey, and even throwing some tour guide stuff like pointing out a plasma "waterfall" and downed spaceships, adds to the atmosphere. The levels are similar to those in Diablo II in that they are made up of familiar pieces, but have different overall styles for each planet chunk, and push you through a fairly linear progress to the end of the level.

Darkspore might find it's way to my desktop, next to Torchlight, as a go to time killer when I can't, or don't feel like, my usual routine of WoW rep dailies and archaeology.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Just a note that this weekend's beta just started. If you are a fan of Diablo II, it might be worth trying to get a beta key to scratch the waiting for Diablo III itch a little.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
This game looks like it might be good
Beta 6 is now live through Friday April 1st and is available on their site listed above and through Steam for those so inclined.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
(03-29-2011, 05:26 PM)LochnarITB Wrote: Beta 6 is now live through Friday April 1st and is available on their site listed above and through Steam for those so inclined.

I've signed up (a few weeks back) to no avail so far... are you saying I can just go to Steam and try out beta 6 without being accepted into the beta?
(03-29-2011, 08:34 PM)vor_lord Wrote:
(03-29-2011, 05:26 PM)LochnarITB Wrote: Beta 6 is now live through Friday April 1st and is available on their site listed above and through Steam for those so inclined.

I've signed up (a few weeks back) to no avail so far... are you saying I can just go to Steam and try out beta 6 without being accepted into the beta?

That is the way it appears to me. They didn't do a mailing to those of us who had been invited previously, I just happened to check the game to find they had opened the beta again yesterday. Also, I don't have Steam but if you go to their page for Darkspore, you will see "Play the Beta Now! Click here to install. Must have Steam installed."
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
(03-29-2011, 05:26 PM)LochnarITB Wrote: Also, I don't have Steam but if you go to their page for Darkspore, you will see "Play the Beta Now! Click here to install. Must have Steam installed."

Bummer I am away from home until the 2nd of April. I will brave installing steam on my work laptop long enough to link it with my account, hopefully that will be enough so that I can get it when I get home.
(03-29-2011, 09:57 PM)vor_lord Wrote:
(03-29-2011, 05:26 PM)LochnarITB Wrote: Also, I don't have Steam but if you go to their page for Darkspore, you will see "Play the Beta Now! Click here to install. Must have Steam installed."

Bummer I am away from home until the 2nd of April. I will brave installing steam on my work laptop long enough to link it with my account, hopefully that will be enough so that I can get it when I get home.

Oh, I didn't realize it was being offered only through Steam. I don't have Steam and downloaded a couple gigs when I did my first beta. This one just patched what I had and off I went. I probably should look at Steam again but have been able to do without so far.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Well, since I can get this through Steam, let's have a peeky peek. Never hurts to just see. =)
Intolerant monkey.
I returned a bit early and got a little time to scratch the surface. Definitely a game with promise.
Just checked the beta forum and found this, in case anyone is interested:

Quote:Welcome to the Darkspore Beta!

An exclusive EA Store (http://eastore.ea.com/) Darkspore beta will be open from Friday 12PM PDT through Sunday evening. If you already have Darkspore, feel free to hop on in! There is no patch for this beta and all progress has been preserved.

An open beta will start April 12th and run through April 22nd. We have a nice set of patch notes for that one Smile. Accounts will be reset for the open beta.

Starting the game up, it looks like it still plays to level 3-4 but I think Crogenitor level 15 is up from 12 which, IIRC, means more of the spore guys can be opened to try out.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
I couldn't find this. But looks like open beta will start in a couple of days anyway, I may find some time to hop in.
(04-09-2011, 03:35 PM)LochnarITB Wrote: An open beta will start April 12th and run through April 22nd. We have a nice set of patch notes for that one Smile. Accounts will be reset for the open beta.
[/quote]

I've no idea how to access this. No mention on either the Darkspore website I could find, or the eastore page about it.

My Steam install was time limited, it deleted itself. I'd really love to get into this open beta if I could figure out how.

(04-12-2011, 06:49 PM)vor_lord Wrote:
(04-09-2011, 03:35 PM)LochnarITB Wrote: An open beta will start April 12th and run through April 22nd. We have a nice set of patch notes for that one Smile. Accounts will be reset for the open beta.

I've no idea how to access this. No mention on either the Darkspore website I could find, or the eastore page about it.

My Steam install was time limited, it deleted itself. I'd really love to get into this open beta if I could figure out how.

I couldn't even find it on Steam when I tried a few weeks back (whenever it was posted in this thread that you could get the beta from there). The only Darkspore stuff it had for me was the pre-order.

Like you I haven't been able to find a way to get the open beta either. I'm at the point where I'm just not going to bother anymore, I did pick up Spore and all it's expansions for $7.50 total the other day and I've had some fun playing those. Darkspore could be fun, but I just don't buy PC games without having tried them first anymore. EA is not making this one easy to try from my experience (I realize others have not had these issues) so I'll probably pass.

My Rift sub still has a few months and it and Civ 5 can generally keep my attention as well as I need anyway. This piqued my interest and might have found some playtime, but not if I can't preview it.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
There is a "Download" link right on the front page of darkspore.com. Maybe if I do that I will be enlightened as to how to access the open beta.

I'll try when I get home.
(04-12-2011, 07:43 PM)vor_lord Wrote: There is a "Download" link right on the front page of darkspore.com. Maybe if I do that I will be enlightened as to how to access the open beta.

It's installing, and saying "Welcome to Open Beta." So I guess that's it if you want to try it.
(04-13-2011, 02:24 AM)vor_lord Wrote:
(04-12-2011, 07:43 PM)vor_lord Wrote: There is a "Download" link right on the front page of darkspore.com. Maybe if I do that I will be enlightened as to how to access the open beta.

It's installing, and saying "Welcome to Open Beta." So I guess that's it if you want to try it.

The shorter set-up downloaded and installed, and it started running the patcher last night to get the full game. That had errored out this morning so I started it up again.

To be safe I attempted to use the other download link here at work (that grabs the full installer the 4+ GB file) and that crapped out at 80 something percent, and it was a failure on there end, not with the connection here.

We'll see if the patcher worked when I get home from work, but again, this just is not working well for me.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.