Kinda stoked for TES 5: Skyrim

Ok so I'm a Morrowind fan, though it has to be the PC version with at least the 'Better Heads&Bodies' mod installed. Otherwise the chars faces are just too damn foogly in their default glory.

I like Oblivion ok, didn't hate it but didn't quite inspire the same feelings for me. Maybe it's just the overplayed generic semi Tolkienesque euro-fantasy setting. Scenery graphics was nicer, though I still think Morrowind did a better job with the waters.

I do like the combat a lot more in Oblivion compared to Morrowind. And the optional quests\guilds IMO can be more epic than the main quest. -cough- Thief's Guild quests -cough-. (The Grey Fox Lives!)

When I heard the next Elder Scrolls game will be Skyrim, I was interested but not super excited or anything. Maybe some lingering feelings over some of the parts of Oblivion that I didn't quite like.

Until I saw the trailer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muK3GGppPpM

I'm cautiously stoked. But I'm not ashamed to admit it. The music got me. The overall vibe got me. I'm digging the feel of it. When I hear the (presumably) Dovahkiin yells out the POWAAAH WORD!!! (around the 1:10 mark) I was giddy. This looks like as close to the ideal Super Awesome Viking Glory action RPG game I always want to play.

I'm sure the time and occasion to critique and complain about parts of the game will come soon enough. (level scaling, dungeon clvl, broken quests, bug and more bugs...super keen players who goes to Klingon Language camps deriding how unrealistic the vaguely Nordic sounding language of Skyrim and making 29 page threads about it)

But for now at least, I gotta say, I'm kinda excited.
I picked up a new desktop computer last week with the underlying hopes that it'll be good enough for both Skyrim and Diablo III. This thing certainly runs Oblivion faster than it does on the Xbox 360, so I take that as a good sign.

Transitioning from the Xbox to the computer put into glaring relief just how much the game was tailored for the gaming consoles rather than PCs. Controls that took a split-second to choose on a console's gamepad now takes a second or two of mouse movement. Lockpicking on an Xbox is a two-handed affair that makes things easier (left pushes the pin, the right hand locks it in place), but with the PC it's all done via the mouse (essentially you're picking a lock with one hand tied behind your back).

Bethesda better hit that "console control" curve hard with Skyrim and tailor the PC controls into something far more comprehensive, thus bringing it to par with the console 6@m3rZ.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
(03-06-2011, 04:35 AM)Rhydderch Hael Wrote: Bethesda better hit that "console control" curve hard with Skyrim and tailor the PC controls into something far more comprehensive, thus bringing it to par with the console 6@m3rZ.

It would probably be easier to use some of the game pad controllers on the PC for this type of game than depend on them getting the interface reworked better for it.
(03-06-2011, 04:35 AM)Rhydderch Hael Wrote: Lockpicking on an Xbox is a two-handed affair that makes things easier (left pushes the pin, the right hand locks it in place), but with the PC it's all done via the mouse (essentially you're picking a lock with one hand tied behind your back).

If you're used to the console control, it could take some minor adjustment to get used to the PC version.

For myself I think I only did the manual lockpick minigame in the early levels, after hitting mid to high clvl, I just hit the 'auto attempt'.

But yes I agree with you, running default Oblivion on the PC it definitely has more of a 'ported from console' than a true dedicated PC control style game.

The speech minigame is probably another example of that.

Another thing I hope Skyrim will keep to it's rumored promise, and taking a page from Fallout's levelling system. So no more 'efficient levelling' ie macro-ing or the min-max OCD factor of getting the 3 x 5 points bonus level up. Mostly so you won't lose out
on the HP bonus.

Yeah you could play however you want, with on the fly difficulty slider etc. But for a sandbox game, that HP gain level up system and the 'efficient levelling' IMO hampers it a bit.

Really hoping that Skyrim will be play as you want, you can hit the ground running and explore (with risk of death) with no need to worry 'oh noes, I've accidentally levelled up without having casted enough low level fireball or haven't jumped enough...reload!'.

Kinda detracts from the immersion a bit.

I am stoked for Skyrim. I loved Oblivion and I love Morrowind. However, I never played any of the expansions for either game. I loved exploring the worlds and I never did actually finish the main quest in either game because I always get sidetracked by everything else.

Hoopefully it will live up to my expectations.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
My favorite part of the Morrowind Skyrim expansion was using the werewolf ring, and running around the island on a murderous rampage.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Bloodmoon?

Great expansion. Loved the fact that you could build a city and in a way affect what was built (although at a very basic level).

As for Skyrim, I'm sure it'll be as great as the last two iterations in the Elder Scrolls-series. I hope they manage to create more nuanced environments so as to avoid the Oblivion-gate-retread-syndrome.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Yes. Bloodmoon.

Beyond the werewolf plot, building the town was a cool part. Becoming the chieftain of the mead hall was a nice too. It has a nice Icelandic saga feel to the quests and plot. I always ended up making the mead hall one of my home bases. It needed a place for a treasure/display room though. What else would you decorate a mead hall with? Trophies!
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

I'm more stoked for ME3 personally.
Quote:I'm more stoked for ME3 personally.

And ME3 means what?
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Mass Effect Three?

Started Elder Scrolls with Daggerfall! What an exceptional game for its time followed by Morrowind (excellent) and Oblivion. Very excited!