World of Tanks
www.worldoftanks.com

I've found my game, at least till SWTOR.

Not for everyone, but if you are a military buff, especially WW2 and tanks in general, this game at least as of now, is excellent.

Still in beta, so can be played for free.

It's been occupying my evenings for 2 weeks now.

Original name, btw!

Interesting! I have some questions that the web site didn't answer.

How does it handle some logistical things like ammo and fuel? Do you run out? Do you need to drop out of the battle to resupply?

How does battle damage affect performance? Do you repair between battles? If you are destroyed, do you re-spawn?
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

(03-07-2011, 07:22 PM)kandrathe Wrote: Interesting! I have some questions that the web site didn't answer.

How does it handle some logistical things like ammo and fuel? Do you run out? Do you need to drop out of the battle to resupply?

How does battle damage affect performance? Do you repair between battles? If you are destroyed, do you re-spawn?

Ammo can be resupplied in the garage in between battles. Same with fuel. You will not run out of fuel in a battle unless you get hit in the fuel tank a few times. You get a finite number of shells depending on the tank, and that is usually enough to last, unless you get hit in the ammo rack. Assuming you do not blow up that is, you will start running out of shells sooner. I have my garage options on "resupply", so I am topped out on shells before each battle.

You repair in between battles in the garage and automatically if you have that option selected. This costs credits, but you gain credits in each battle for several things. Kills, hits, first spot of an enemy tank and some other less obvious factors (which makes light tanks in early tiers viable to play to progress).

As far as battle performance, it depends. There are several ways you can get hit. First is simple damage. This does not affect performance. However, the most common is getting your tracks destroyed/damaged. This will immobalize you for a time. It will get fixed in a little bit by your crew automatically, with the time depending on the experience level of your crew. However, the chances are better than 50% that if you are immobalized, you will get destroyed before you are mobile again. Even if you do manage to fix your tracks, you mobility is hampered for the rest of the battle.

Likewise, you can get your turret hit or your cannon, and they will eventually get auto-fixed, but you will be in bad shape for the rest of the battle.

Once you are knocked out, you can not respawn in the battle. You have 2 options. You can follow the battle from a POV of another tank, or you can quit the battle (you WILL still get XP/credits if you do that, no penalty for that at all), and while your tank will lie destroyed in the ongoing battle, you can get into another battle with a different tank.

You start out the game with 3 light tanks, 1 american, 1 german and 1 russian.

Teams are comprised of all 3 countrys' tanks, so it is not like US vs Germany of something like that. There are 10 tiers of tanks. The battles are usually set up in such a way that you will not have to face tier 5 tanks in your lowly tier 1 tractor with a peashooter. However, starting around tier 4, you can be placed in a battle 2 and maybe even 3 tiers above you.

On my T-34, which is tier 5, I've faced tiers 3 to tier 7.

You can develop in 4 different trees for every country.

TDs - tank destroyers.
SPG - self-propelled guns
Medium tanks
Heavy tanks

There are flowcharts that describe which tanks in the earlier tiers you have to research and use in order to get to each of those types of vehicles.
You also research different types of guns/turrets/tracks/engines for the tanks you are currently playing. This can all be found while you are in the garage in-between battles. The queues are anywhere from 3-5 seconds for the mid-high tier to 30-40 seconds for the low tiers battles.

Any more questions - lemme know.

I am having a blast.... umm, yeah... pun intended.

Edit: Forgot to mention. The learning curve is relatively steep and you will initially get destroyed before you can do much. Do not get discouraged, it will get better.

Just so you know. Single parallelogram on top of a tank = light tank. 2 diagonal lines = medium, 3 heavy. Square - SPG. Triangle - TD.
Not to thread necro, but is anyone (still) playing this? I'm into it myself now, and having fun - more or less. The matchmaking needs work, as do some of the tanks, but otherwise it's a fun time sink.

Currently working my way down the U.S. Light Tank division, heading towards an M7 Medium Tank - in case anyone was wondering. Wink Would love to get together with some dedicated friends in this game, if anyone's interested.

RolandDT is my handle.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
(04-30-2011, 09:08 PM)Roland Wrote: Not to thread necro, but is anyone (still) playing this? I'm into it myself now, and having fun - more or less. The matchmaking needs work, as do some of the tanks, but otherwise it's a fun time sink.

Currently working my way down the U.S. Light Tank division, heading towards an M7 Medium Tank - in case anyone was wondering. Wink Would love to get together with some dedicated friends in this game, if anyone's interested.

RolandDT is my handle.

I'm playing it, and suspect will continue playing it, at least until SWTOR comes out.

Tier 7 Russian meds and Tier 8 US meds for now.

M7 is a fun little tank. Slap a 6 pounder on it (make sure not to equip the higher lvl guns), and it becomes a machine gun. I played it in beta and loved it.

They are revamping most trees and adding some tanks in the near future. The US tree is going to be somewhat different at higher levels and the changes are good.
Well you should come find me in-game then!

Yeah, I'm busy saving up credits to buy the M7 with a full 75% crew (I can't bear to part with the gold for 100%), as well as the upgraded treads, engine, turret, and the "Pounder". I haven't unlocked the other guns, although I hear they're ok for certain situations. I'll probably do them last on my way to the M4A2E8, focusing on the radios next. I'm gunning for that "Easy 8" so I can have it unlocked and bought before those wonderful changes go live. Otherwise, it cuts off my upgrade path and forces me over to the M4A1 - not that I'd mind; anything to skip the dreaded M3. Tongue

I've been having a blast with my M5 now that I seem to finally be getting the hang of the thing. Since I'm almost always in the bottom of the ranks I find it best to hang back and let the Heavies / Mediums do the work, while I snipe with my 75mm Howitzer and just harass from behind cover. Then, if I'm still alive, I'll break off and head for their base to try and scout / hunt their artillery. If I'm alive at the end of the match, I've probably guaranteed myself at least 5k credits, and about 500ish experience. I'm hoping the M7 will grant me better numbers. Wink

I'm probably going to stay dedicated to the US Lights / Mediums for the near future. I'll probably try out some US TDs when they come out, but until then I'll just keep working my way up the now-unlocked Medium branch.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
I'm still playing, although not as fast as in the beta. Since the wipe and release I'm taking it easy and kind of waiting for the US Tank Destroyer tree to try something new. I also am not spending money on the game and without premium things go notably slower.

In the beta I had lots of fun with my fully upgraded IS-4. It performed better for me then the IS-7 because the IS-4 has the hardest front turret in the game (and a very sloped one at that), making it ideal for entrenched battles where I can hide my hull and just face my enemies with the turret. Since it also has the same gun as the IS-7 I like it a bit more then the IS-7 itself.

Since I played a few thousand battles in beta I got the premium reward tank, the M4A2E4. It's a fun little tank. Good frontal armor, although no match for a heavy. It does have a pretty decent gun and can take on most mediums and lights of it's own tier. I like it a lot. I use it to earn money with to buy other tanks.

I wanted to do something different in live after I lost my beloved IS-4 so I decided to go down the russian medium tank line. In beta I was very impressed with the T-44 and especially the T-54 tanks. They worried me more then meeting a T10 heavy. Althoug playing a super-armored sniper is fun (which is the IS-4 playstyle most of the time) I wanted something different. I am now at the A20 and working hard to get the T34 medium. The A-20 is... well.. a pain. It's weak in armor, weak in firepower and weak in turning speed. The only thing it's got going is top speed. Although I did kill a Hummel with it once and got the scout bonus. That was fun. got me 3000 xp too (first battle of the day, no premium).

In beta I also had a Hummel and I liked playing arty from time to time, but I decided to switch Russian there as well. got a little SU-25 now, which is fun. Less fun is that the game likes to pitch me in battles against Tier 7 tanks. Ouch.

So mainly waiting for the USA's TD's for something new.
Former www.diablo2.com webmaster.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
(05-09-2011, 01:36 PM)Crusader Wrote: I'm still playing, although not as fast as in the beta. Since the wipe and release I'm taking it easy and kind of waiting for the US Tank Destroyer tree to try something new. I also am not spending money on the game and without premium things go notably slower.

In the beta I had lots of fun with my fully upgraded IS-4. It performed better for me then the IS-7 because the IS-4 has the hardest front turret in the game (and a very sloped one at that), making it ideal for entrenched battles where I can hide my hull and just face my enemies with the turret. Since it also has the same gun as the IS-7 I like it a bit more then the IS-7 itself.

Since I played a few thousand battles in beta I got the premium reward tank, the M4A2E4. It's a fun little tank. Good frontal armor, although no match for a heavy. It does have a pretty decent gun and can take on most mediums and lights of it's own tier. I like it a lot. I use it to earn money with to buy other tanks.

I wanted to do something different in live after I lost my beloved IS-4 so I decided to go down the russian medium tank line. In beta I was very impressed with the T-44 and especially the T-54 tanks. They worried me more then meeting a T10 heavy. Althoug playing a super-armored sniper is fun (which is the IS-4 playstyle most of the time) I wanted something different. I am now at the A20 and working hard to get the T34 medium. The A-20 is... well.. a pain. It's weak in armor, weak in firepower and weak in turning speed. The only thing it's got going is top speed. Although I did kill a Hummel with it once and got the scout bonus. That was fun. got me 3000 xp too (first battle of the day, no premium).

In beta I also had a Hummel and I liked playing arty from time to time, but I decided to switch Russian there as well. got a little SU-25 now, which is fun. Less fun is that the game likes to pitch me in battles against Tier 7 tanks. Ouch.

Yeah, the A-20 grind is terrible, especially w/o premium. The T-34 is an excellent tank for it's tier though, and does very well as long as the match does not go over Tier 6 machines. Just like in RL, it can't do much vs anything along the lines of Tier 7 heavies or meds, but that's only fair. I kept this tank in my garage, both in beta and on live now. Make sure to use the 57mm Zis gun. It is a buzzsaw. The other guns are, meh.

The Russian line is weird, with the T-34 being great, the 34/85 after it being not bad and the T-43 basically being a T-34/85 with more HPs and nothing else, but stiffer competition. The T-44 stock is crap, but upgraded it is nice. I enjoyed it in the beta, and I'm enjoying it now. I do have to say though, that overall, the US medium line is more enjoyable for me, with the T20 being my favorite medium tank in the whole game, although I've not tried the T-54 or Pershing in beta. I am playing both the T-44 and the T23 right now, and the T23 is a nice tank, although sometimes a bit overmatched vs Tier 8 and over heavies. It is a T20 with more HPs and better speed overall, but with the same gun, it's ... eh.

GL and try to be patient with the A-20. Hopefully, the 5X XP for first wins will help you to grind it out.
(05-09-2011, 04:36 PM)Ashock Wrote:
(05-09-2011, 01:36 PM)Crusader Wrote: I'm still playing, although not as fast as in the beta. Since the wipe and release I'm taking it easy and kind of waiting for the US Tank Destroyer tree to try something new. I also am not spending money on the game and without premium things go notably slower.

Yeah, the A-20 grind is terrible, especially w/o premium. The T-34 is an excellent tank for it's tier though, and does very well as long as the match does not go over Tier 6 machines. Just like in RL, it can't do much vs anything along the lines of Tier 7 heavies or meds, but that's only fair. I kept this tank in my garage, both in beta and on live now. Make sure to use the 57mm Zis gun. It is a buzzsaw. The other guns are, meh.

The Russian line is weird, with the T-34 being great, the 34/85 after it being not bad and the T-43 basically being a T-34/85 with more HPs and nothing else, but stiffer competition. The T-44 stock is crap, but upgraded it is nice. I enjoyed it in the beta, and I'm enjoying it now. I do have to say though, that overall, the US medium line is more enjoyable for me, with the T20 being my favorite medium tank in the whole game, although I've not tried the T-54 or Pershing in beta. I am playing both the T-44 and the T23 right now, and the T23 is a nice tank, although sometimes a bit overmatched vs Tier 8 and over heavies. It is a T20 with more HPs and better speed overall, but with the same gun, it's ... eh.

GL and try to be patient with the A-20. Hopefully, the 5X XP for first wins will help you to grind it out.

Apart from the M4A2E4 I don't have any real experience with the USA's mediums and heavies. Looking at the stats, they got good guns and rate of fire, but poor armor. What are they like?
Former www.diablo2.com webmaster.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
(05-09-2011, 05:30 PM)Crusader Wrote:
(05-09-2011, 04:36 PM)Ashock Wrote:

Apart from the M4A2E4 I don't have any real experience with the USA's mediums and heavies. Looking at the stats, they got good guns and rate of fire, but poor armor. What are they like?

Exactly that. Good guns and poor armor. The T29 does have an incredible turret though and can bounce almost anything off of it, but that's it. The grind to the T29 is very painful though, as the T1 is horrid and the M6 only slightly better for it's tier. The meds, even at Tier 8, can be penetrated by almost anything Tier 6 and over, and they almost never bounce anything. However, they are very fast and agile, and are excellent flanking tanks. The 90mm gun used by T20 and T23 are IMO better than the D10T gun used by T-34/85, 43 and 44. It packs the same punch, but with better accuracy. The Pershing's top gun can penetrate anything in the game and is by far the best gun out of all the meds in the game. US meds are excellent at sniping/flanking... just not dogfighting. That's what the Russian meds excel at. However, with the revamp that's coming soon, things might be somewhat different, with the US getting the Patton and the Pershing moving down to Tier 8, although w/o it's monster gun.
As far as the mid-tier US meds, they are good after Tier 4. Either the M7 with it's machinegun-like 6 pounder or the Sherman 4, with it's mini-durp are great at Tier 5. The Easy 8 at Tier 6 is excellent with the 75mm, with it's rate of fire and quickness. Just don't get hit ;-)
More thread necro!

Haven't managed to find either of you in-game, but if anyone around here is still playing this The Amazon Basin has fired up a clan of its own, of which I'm a part. Right now we're pretty laid back, just gaming together for fun, but eventually we intend to start pursuing Clan Wars a bit (nothing too serious or heavy). I told them I'd drop a line here in case anyone was interested in getting into a friendly, open clan without worrying about the pressures of performing for the clan. We're all on pretty much nightly, and most of us have Premium (so we can create Platoons). Drop a line if any of you are interested - either joining up, or just hanging on out TeamSpeak to chat and game together.

Look forward to seeing some more friendly faces!

http://uc.worldoftanks.com/uc/clans/1000...er_by=date
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Just got this over the weekend its very fun. Bit annoyed with my M3 Stuart though feels like all i can do is scout and hunt arty then dieSad. Anyone still playing?