Paid Character Customization
So you can now re-customize your character. For $15 real world moneys you can change your character's gender, skin color, and name. You can also change your hairstyle & beard/horns/etc. but you can do that in the barbershop already, so I don't count that.

You CANNOT change your race, which is the big restriction. I am not much of a roleplayer so this may sound kind of dumb, but after doing some of the quests in Howling Fjord & Dragonblight I would actually consider changing to a race other than undead. They're jerks! Plus (and this may sound even dumber), male undead only look good in certain boot models- the chunky ones (of which there are none in WotLK, but I kept Edgewalker's for FAR too long because of this) and the "swashbuckling" ones. On the flip side, I've played this guy as undead for years and have grown quite attached to him, so there's some sentimentality there.

They removed the race restriction on mounts also (with the next patch, maybe?), so perhaps there's hope for paid race changes in the future? From a systems analysis perspective, I'm trying to think of what kind of database changes they'd have to do to swap races; there's the obvious racial spells change, and maybe a few quest items (Undead can't do a particular Scarlet Monastery quest, for example). I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

How about you? Are you going to swap genders?:)
It's certainly a novel idea, and I might do it once on a toon I don't play much -- but none of my primary toons would welcome a gender change.:P

Changing face, on the other hand, is very welcome -- my warrior's face was chosen on a whim and I've regretted it for quite a while. I'm not sure it bothers me enough that I'm willing to /pay/ to have it changed... but oh well. If I do it, I might change the gender as well... since I'd be paying anyway. I doubt it, though.

The race restriction on mounts is about damn time! It never made much sense, anyway -- even if a mount is too small or too big, you could just find a "particularly large" or "particularly small" example of that mount -- especially since mounts are scaled to fit your race under any circumstances.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
Quote:So you can now re-customize your character. For $15 real world moneys you can change your character's gender, skin color, and name. You can also change your hairstyle & beard/horns/etc. but you can do that in the barbershop already, so I don't count that.

You CANNOT change your race, which is the big restriction. I am not much of a roleplayer so this may sound kind of dumb, but after doing some of the quests in Howling Fjord & Dragonblight I would actually consider changing to a race other than undead. They're jerks! Plus (and this may sound even dumber), male undead only look good in certain boot models- the chunky ones (of which there are none in WotLK, but I kept Edgewalker's for FAR too long because of this) and the "swashbuckling" ones. On the flip side, I've played this guy as undead for years and have grown quite attached to him, so there's some sentimentality there.

They removed the race restriction on mounts also (with the next patch, maybe?), so perhaps there's hope for paid race changes in the future? From a systems analysis perspective, I'm trying to think of what kind of database changes they'd have to do to swap races; there's the obvious racial spells change, and maybe a few quest items (Undead can't do a particular Scarlet Monastery quest, for example). I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

How about you? Are you going to swap genders?:)

Skin tone change should have been part of the barber shop IMO, powder for lightning skin tone, pigments and oils to deepen skin tone.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Quote:You CANNOT change your race, which is the big restriction.

It's because they don't want gnome healers despite there being NPC gnome healers. Bastards. That and because of class restrictions by race some people simply couldn't change races with their main and there would be whinage from that too.

I also think they don't want to get the extra step closer to faction changes. That would have been a HUGE boon for me in TBC since I knew that I wasn't going to be playing alliance much. Changing my druid to a Tauren then getting it a server transfer would have been nice.

Now I'm in a bit of the the opposite boat. Since my alliance toons are basically eastern time and my horde are basically mountain time (because of how the servers work) I'd not mind getting some of my horde toons converted to alliance.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Quote:I also think they don't want to get the extra step closer to faction changes. That would have been a HUGE boon for me in TBC since I knew that I wasn't going to be playing alliance much. Changing my druid to a Tauren then getting it a server transfer would have been nice.

Now I'm in a bit of the the opposite boat. Since my alliance toons are basically eastern time and my horde are basically mountain time (because of how the servers work) I'd not mind getting some of my horde toons converted to alliance.

Well, I wouldn't have minded faction changes, either. I think it would be neat to 'change gears' by bringing my warrior Horde-side, and my shaman over to the Alliance. Same groups of friends, different role. Would have been fun.

--Mav
Quote:They removed the race restriction on mounts also (with the next patch, maybe?)
I can has chocobo now?

Better start grinding Silvermoon rep. Another nice benefit of this is that it makes Leading The Cavalry much, much, much, much, much easier for tauren now.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Quote:It's because they don't want gnome healers despite there being NPC gnome healers. Bastards. That and because of class restrictions by race some people simply couldn't change races with their main and there would be whinage from that too.

I would assume that they would maintain class/race restrictions if they ever implemented a race change feature. Kinda screws druids. Maybe allow faction changes for druids?
Quote:I would assume that they would maintain class/race restrictions if they ever implemented a race change feature. Kinda screws druids. Maybe allow faction changes for druids?

And this is just the can of worms I think they are still trying to avoid or figure something else out on.

Personally I'd like faction changes a lot. I'd probably never use a race change (and as Mirajj pointed out the whole 'flavor of the month' issue that would arise with racials and what not) but that has more to do with the personality that I give to my toons. I'm sure you are now saying "But wait GG how could you deal with a faction change then since that also requires a race change!". To which the answer is simple. The out of game benefits to that, being able to play with a slightly different group of folks without having to start at L1 or play a class that I'd not be as happy playing, simply overwhelm the slight negative side of a race change for me. Besides it would be easier with a faction change to just mentally view them as a completely different character.

All that being said, at this this stage in the game $15 to do that isn't worth it, a few years ago it would have been, but not with a 4 year old game that is just holding me over anyway right now.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Quote:I can has chocobo now?
You always could, if you wanted to work at it! ;)
Quote:You always could, if you wanted to work at it! ;)
Hey, this is a guy who's only single "need" roll win against another player was a Sonic Spear drop, and that was against another, stupider, and annoying hunter and that came with the blessing of the rest of the party, who were frankly sick of him.

If I had managed to get a white chocobo drop in heroic MrT (Yeah, I know MgT is the standard acronym, I just prefer MrT), then I can guarantee that the roll would always go to the undead warlock, who already has his Albino Drake in the mail. Every time. Guaranteed. Just like Brewfest. And Hallow's End.

Not that I'm bitter at all. Not in the slightest:whistling:
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Quote:If I had managed to get a white chocobo drop in heroic MrT (Yeah, I know MgT is the standard acronym, I just prefer MrT), then I can guarantee that the roll would always go to the undead warlock, who already has his Albino Drake in the mail. Every time. Guaranteed. Just like Brewfest. And Hallow's End.
Funny you should say warlock. In a heroic group with 3 blood elves, I lost the roll on the only Orb of the Sin'dorei that I ever saw drop to an undead demo warlock (when this was NOT the way to PvE) wearing 2/3 green items. :wacko: