Another Movie Thread - Because We Love Them So
I saw "Source Code" yesterday. It is kind of like a cross between Groundhog Day and Inception. Worth seeing.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
Hi,

(04-11-2011, 03:08 AM)DeeBye Wrote: Hellboy 2 is even better than the first one, IMO. Guillermo del Toro is the master of creature movies. The Troll Market scene is incredible.

I liked the first better, but 2 was also very enjoyable -- we watched it last night. The Troll Market scene was great. And I liked the ending, it's setting things up for a "family show" sequel. Wink Del Toro (or someone) has done a great job of giving creatures personalities -- puts me in mind of Sanctuary, an underrated (IMO) TV SF series.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

(05-15-2011, 04:04 PM)--Pete Wrote: I liked the first better, but 2 was also very enjoyable -- we watched it last night. The Troll Market scene was great. And I liked the ending, it's setting things up for a "family show" sequel. Wink Del Toro (or someone) has done a great job of giving creatures personalities -- puts me in mind of Sanctuary, an underrated (IMO) TV SF series.

--Pete

I thought 2 was a lot better than 1 (but both were very good). Hellboy 2 had a better "bad guy", and that's important in a movie like this.

Del Toro is the guy responsible for the creature stuff. He also did Blade 2 (very underrated IMO), and Pan's Labyrinth. If you haven't seen Pan's Labyrinth, please do so right this very second. Don't base your impressions on the trailers either. They were made during the height of the Lord of the Rings ROTTK Oscar craze to cash in on fantasy appeal. Pan's Labyrinth is DEEP, and not at all a light-hearted fantasy film.
(05-21-2011, 03:02 AM)DeeBye Wrote: If you haven't seen Pan's Labyrinth, please do so right this very second. Don't base your impressions on the trailers either. They were made during the height of the Lord of the Rings ROTTK Oscar craze to cash in on fantasy appeal. Pan's Labyrinth is DEEP, and not at all a light-hearted fantasy film.

Pan's Labyrinth was so disturbing. I still think about it.
[Image: Sabra%20gold%20copy.jpg]

I blame Tal.

Sabramage Authenticated!
Hi, Smile

My recommendation...>Winter's Bone.

Quote:Winter's Bone (2010) R

In director Debra Granik's unflinching noir drama set deep in the Ozarks, resilient teen Ree Dolly (Jennifer Lawrence) goes on the trail of her missing, drug-dealing father when his absence jeopardizes the family's safety.

Her deadbeat dad has a key court date pending, and Ree is determined that he show up -- despite the objections of the insular Dolly clan.

The film earned Oscar and Independent Spirit Award nods for Best Picture and for Lawrence.

Genre:Indie Dramas, Dramas Based on Contemporary Literature, Dramas Based on the Book
This movie is: Dark, Gritty
AvailabilityBig GrinVD and Blu-ray

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
(05-21-2011, 01:39 PM)Jim Wrote: Hi, Smile

My recommendation...>Winter's Bone.

Quote:Winter's Bone (2010) R

In director Debra Granik's unflinching noir drama set deep in the Ozarks, resilient teen Ree Dolly (Jennifer Lawrence) goes on the trail of her missing, drug-dealing father when his absence jeopardizes the family's safety.

Her deadbeat dad has a key court date pending, and Ree is determined that he show up -- despite the objections of the insular Dolly clan.

The film earned Oscar and Independent Spirit Award nods for Best Picture and for Lawrence.

Genre:Indie Dramas, Dramas Based on Contemporary Literature, Dramas Based on the Book
This movie is: Dark, Gritty
AvailabilityBig GrinVD and Blu-ray

I have the in my Amazon Movie Rental Queue!

[Image: Sabra%20gold%20copy.jpg]

I blame Tal.

Sabramage Authenticated!
(05-21-2011, 03:39 PM)Sabra Wrote: I have it my Amazon Movie Rental Queue!

Hi,

Do u have Netflix? 2 movie rentals @ Amazon is about the cost of 1 month at Netflix. You can have the latest DVD's mailed to your home I average 6 per month + I also Stream unlimted movies.

Google Netflix for a FREE Month trial.

Quote:MY NEXT MOVIE in the Mail:

Conviction (Betty Anne Waters) 2010 R 103 minutes
Convinced that her brother, Kenneth (Sam Rockwell), has been unjustly convicted of murder and incompetently defended by court-ordered attorneys, high school dropout Betty Anne Waters (Hilary Swank) puts herself through law school in order to represent him in his appeal. Inspired by a true story, director Tony Goldwyn's stirring drama also stars Melissa Leo, Minnie Driver, Peter Gallagher and Clea DuVall.

Cast:Hilary Swank, Sam Rockwell, Melissa Leo, Clea DuVall, Peter Gallagher, Minnie Driver, Juliette Lewis, Bailee Madison, Loren Dean Director:Tony Goldwyn GenresBig Grinrama, Courtroom Dramas, Crime Dramas, Dramas Based on Real Life, Blu-ray This movie is: Emotional, Inspiring Availability: DVD and Blu-ray .

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
(05-21-2011, 04:05 PM)Jim Wrote: Do u have Netflix?
<unsolicited plug>I love Netflix (mail and on Xbox Live). </unsolicited plug>

I recently caught up on the entire 10 year history of Stargate - XYZ. Which was like 300 hours or so of TV episodes. And, lots of movies, plenty of stuff for the kids, and areas (like Anime) where I've not even plumped the depths. I have the 1 movie out at a time level, and just keep my queue filled with DVD's (they choose them and prioritize) for the kids. They go through one to 3 a week.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

(05-21-2011, 12:22 PM)Sabra Wrote:
(05-21-2011, 03:02 AM)DeeBye Wrote: If you haven't seen Pan's Labyrinth, please do so right this very second. Don't base your impressions on the trailers either. They were made during the height of the Lord of the Rings ROTTK Oscar craze to cash in on fantasy appeal. Pan's Labyrinth is DEEP, and not at all a light-hearted fantasy film.

Pan's Labyrinth was so disturbing. I still think about it.

Is it really worth watching? I watched the first full-30-minutes (not like when someone says they saw 30 min of a movie and actually only saw like 5-min, but 30-actual minutes) of it and found it so incredibly boring, I had to watch something else or I felt that my brain might implode. What's so special about this movie anyhow?

EDIT: Actually, reading a synopsis, it was more like the first 45-50 minutes of the movie. I read reviews and I never saw what the reviewers saw. I was never even sure what her imaginary world represented. And the director didn't do a good enough job to get me caring either. It's all coming back now... one of the worst movies that was hyped up to hell and back I've ever seen!
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
(05-21-2011, 04:05 PM)Jim Wrote:
(05-21-2011, 03:39 PM)Sabra Wrote: I have it my Amazon Movie Rental Queue!

Hi,

Do u have Netflix? 2 movie rentals @ Amazon is about the cost of 1 month at Netflix. You can have the latest DVD's mailed to your home I average 6 per month + I also Stream unlimted movies.

Google Netflix for a FREE Month trial.

May I put in a plug for the library? Take home up to 100 movies at a time. Plus an additional limited selection for download. Coming soon, Blu-ray and the ability to order from your smartphone or iPad [devices which I however do not have nor want].

Cost: free. (Note, I would be the first to admit "free" means supported by your taxes.)*

*Offer varies by municipality, void where prohibited.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Hi,

(05-22-2011, 01:22 AM)LavCat Wrote: May I put in a plug for the library? Take home up to 100 movies at a time.

Unfortunately, every time I try, what I want is one of those 100 that someone took home and is about forty years overdue. And if I do get something, usually it looks like someone played street hockey with it.

The $10 a month for Netflix (I've got the same package as kandrathe) is probably one of the best deals in modern entertainment.

However, to kandrathe, the whole Stargate saga (minus the films) is also available streaming from http://stargate.mgm.com/

--Pete

(05-21-2011, 11:48 PM)MEAT Wrote: Is it really worth watching? I watched the first full-30-minutes (not like when someone says they saw 30 min of a movie and actually only saw like 5-min, but 30-actual minutes) of it and found it so incredibly boring, I had to watch something else or I felt that my brain might implode. What's so special about this movie anyhow?

EDIT: Actually, reading a synopsis, it was more like the first 45-50 minutes of the movie. I read reviews and I never saw what the reviewers saw. I was never even sure what her imaginary world represented. And the director didn't do a good enough job to get me caring either. It's all coming back now... one of the worst movies that was hyped up to hell and back I've ever seen!

You should have watched it all the way through to the ending. It broke a lot of "movie rules", and I love movies like that. Del Toro never actually says that her fantasy world is real or not. I'm sure that's an exercise left up to the viewer. You can make a solid case for both. I'm happy that he never "dumbed it down", and actually made me think about it.

It's the story of a little girl, not really loved by either of her parents, living in a fantasy world. Every step of the way you really want something happy for this child, but it never comes about. It just gets more and more depressing. Not every movie has to have a happy ending, and Pan's Labyrinth has the 2nd-most depressing ending to a movie I have ever seen. It was artistic.
(05-22-2011, 03:13 AM)--Pete Wrote: Hi,

(05-22-2011, 01:22 AM)LavCat Wrote: May I put in a plug for the library? Take home up to 100 movies at a time.

Unfortunately, every time I try, what I want is one of those 100 that someone took home and is about forty years overdue. And if I do get something, usually it looks like someone played street hockey with it.

The $10 a month for Netflix (I've got the same package as kandrathe) is probably one of the best deals in modern entertainment.

That is a valid point, though in practice I have only once had to wait an unreasonable time. The film in question was Amazing Grace, which I saw in the theater. Unfortunately there were hundreds of people ahead of me for the DVD when it came out.

For popular new releases the library system has many, many copies so it is not as much of an issue, though there is still often a wait for these. Only once have I received a damaged disc, but it is frustrating, I know.

Generally I can get what I want off the shelf or in a couple days. Police Academy 2 at the moment. There is also the staff perk of sometimes getting new films to take home before they are cataloged.

Besides, at $1 per day overdue that forty year film is a great addition to our budget.

(05-22-2011, 03:54 AM)LavCat Wrote: Besides, at $1 per day overdue that forty year film is a great addition to our budget.
Sometimes, however, libraries have to wait a long time . And you know, with inflation, sometimes these fines don't end up being all that much .
(05-22-2011, 11:27 AM)weakwarrior Wrote: Sometimes, however, libraries have to wait a long time . And you know, with inflation, sometimes these fines don't end up being all that much .

Those stories and similar cartoons get posted over the sink and microwave in our workroom. But some libraries, like this one in Wisconsin, have their methods.
Hi,

(05-22-2011, 09:19 PM)LavCat Wrote: But some libraries, like this one in Wisconsin, have their methods.

This may be harsh, but I think that Heidi Dalibor (the woman arrested) is a prime candidate for retroactive birth control. Fishing her out of the gene pool would contribute greatly to the improvement of the human race.

Let me explain: It's not the keeping of the books for over a year that makes me mad; maybe she forgot, maybe she's a slow reader. It's not the cavalier, “I said, what could they possibly do? They can’t arrest me for this." attitude; many people think they only have to do the right thing when forced. It's not ignoring the "four notices from the library, two phone calls and two letters."; we all get bombarded by too much information and have to ignore much of it to maintain anything resembling sanity.

No, all that I can almost understand. It just makes her a typical self-involved uncaring insult to female dogs. But the last line crosses the gap into absolute stupidity: “I still have the books and I don’t plan to return them because they’re paid for now.” Clearly she is too brain dead to understand that she hasn't bought the books, any more than someone paying a speeding ticket has bought the road.

So, to protect the further slide of the human race into complete idiocy, someone should correct the fact that her parents failed to use protection all those long years ago. It's never too late to right some wrongs.

--Pete

(05-22-2011, 10:37 PM)--Pete Wrote: No, all that I can almost understand. It just makes her a typical self-involved uncaring insult to female dogs. But the last line crosses the gap into absolute stupidity: “I still have the books and I don’t plan to return them because they’re paid for now.” Clearly she is too brain dead to understand that she hasn't bought the books, any more than someone paying a speeding ticket has bought the road.

So, to protect the further slide of the human race into complete idiocy, someone should correct the fact that her parents failed to use protection all those long years ago. It's never too late to right some wrongs.

--Pete

Actually our policy is that if someone pays the charges for lost, never returned, or damaged books; they get to keep them. Sadly the town here doesn't have a police force.
Hi,

(05-22-2011, 10:55 PM)LavCat Wrote: Actually our policy is that if someone pays the charges for lost, never returned, or damaged books; they get to keep them.

That's fair enough, if the "charges" are the fines plus the cost of replacing the book. But the article said nothing about paying for the books, just for the late fees. A $170 fine and she gets to keep the books? Sign me up for that; there are monographs I want that cost almost twice that (maybe more -- it's been a while since I checked). Maybe I should check them out and keep them until the Kent cops drag me off to jail. Wink

(05-22-2011, 10:55 PM)LavCat Wrote: Sadly the town here doesn't have a police force.

If you need one, then indeed it is sad. But if you don't, then I envy you, to live someplace where crime is a abstract concept.

--Pete

Anybody seen Lincoln Lawyer?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
(05-23-2011, 01:56 AM)--Pete Wrote: If you need one, then indeed it is sad. But if you don't, then I envy you, to live someplace where crime is a abstract concept.

Totally off-topic, but this reminds me of something that happened when I was very young.

I lived in a small farming town. Population 1,200. My dad was the branch manager of the only bank in town. He knew everyone because everyone had a bank account there, and his office was right out in front.

I loved being a kid in that town. Everyone knew everyone else. I spent most of my waking hours outside climbing trees, playing in the local park, and just generally doing "kid stuff". My parents never worried about me. There was no local police force in a town that small, and no one ever locked doors.

Well, good things like that never last. One day a crazy guy with a loaded shotgun came knocking on our front door. He was really, really angry at my dad. This guy defaulted on a lot of mortgage payment for his farm and the bank foreclosed. My dad had nothing to do with it, but since everyone in town knew my dad was the branch manager, this guy thought my dad was the person directly responsible.

My parents scooted myself and my brother (I think we were ages 5 and 7 at the time) out of our back door and to our neighbour's house really quickly. I was really young so I don't remember the exact details of the whole thing, but I do recall that we lived in a hotel for a week after that.