ultimate newb stories.
I thought I would start a thread so we could all laugh at 'that one time I was a complete newb'. I will go first.

This just happened to me this week. I have a couple of friends who all play on a server (that isn't a lurker server. I keep trying to get them to come over to a lurker server.) Every once in a while, they get an itch to do something old world, and bust out some lowbies on this server and have a good time.

They sent me a message saying that they wanted to do a ZF run. (One of the guys has a real hang up over the two swords in there that turn into the epic 2h'er.) He's been begging us to run it every time we play over there, as he just needs the one sword.

I have a space goat warrior over there who is normally specc'd MS. He's 47, and I just mess around with him here and there, mainly mining and what not in case that I ever decide to transfer him, I will have a good nest egg to drop on the AH and make money. (by not selling it now, I'm not tempted to buy stupid gear for him.)

Well, the guy who normally tanks our runs wasn't able to make it, so we respec my warrior prot, and buy me a new shield and sword (bloodrazor for 40g!). I set up my defensive stance bars, and we start rolling. Half way through the run, the Rogue (who we pugged to fill in the extra spot) asked if there was a reason that I wasn't applying sunders to my targets. I say.....

"hmm.. Good question, let me check."

Turns out, that in my haste to put together my defensive stance bars, I NEVER hotkeyed it...... I had tanked all the way to the beginning of the gauntlet event without ever sundering a mob, and never wondering why I didnt see it.... I laughed, my 3 buddies laughed, and the rogue quit the run. We tried to explain to him that I normally don't tank on a warrior, and that I had put everything together to tank literally zoning in. He didn't care. So we decided to try and 4 man it. We did just fine, but in the mix of trying to convince the rogue that is was just a newb moment, I still forgot to hotkey Sunder Armor, and never noticed until the end of the run.

Moral of the story? Learn to tank newb!
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
Using Flash Heal rank 9 for 60-70... even though I trained ranks 10-11 when they became available.
Quote:Using Flash Heal rank 9 for 60-70... even though I trained ranks 10-11 when they became available.

Along those lines, I kept forgetting to assign talent points from 70->80, it'd been so long since I had extras;)
I tanked for a week in BC after a respec with Devastate rank 1 and Shield Slam rank 1. (this was before the patch they fixed this)
--Mav
Quote:I tanked for a week in BC after a respec with Devastate rank 1 and Shield Slam rank 1. (this was before the patch they fixed this)

There was AT LEAST one raid where I did this with Mortal Strike on my warrior, as I'd spec back and forth for a PvP and PvE MS spec.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
I also have DPS'd wiith Righteous Fury on, and Tanked without it.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
I think all Protection paladins have tanked at least once without Righteous Fury (including myself;)).

I was Arcane spec prior to 1.10, where Arcane was literally worthless (except for AP/PoM).
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
I AoE tanked trash in SSC and Mount Hyjal with consecrate rank 1. It was put there for rogue finding in PvP, and then forgotten while I took a break from the game. The shame...
------------Terenas------------
Dagorthan – Level 85 Blood Knight
Turothan – Level 83 Blood Knight
Sarothan – Level 62 Blood Knight
Durambar – Level 82 Warrior
Strifemourne – Level 80 Death Knight
Just as the game released I made a dwarf hunter. At level 13 I went to Stormwind, walked to Booty Bay, died countless times, to get to the barrens to.... train a Zhevra.

I have hated hunters ever since.
Former www.diablo2.com webmaster.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
I'm really bad at keeping track of everything I need for tanking. The first Heroic I tanked in BC on my Paladin, I forgot I didn't have the key and had to run back buy it. Near the end, I had the usual "oh, I forgot RF" moment, which was all the worse since we had a couple people from the top guilds :whistling:

Then the other night I was tanking Nexus with my Death Knight, and wore my DPS gear until the third boss, when I opened my bag and noticed I had all that Defense stuff I wasn't using...

Neither ended in disaster, but I tried!