Windows Security Question
I have the feeling this is a dumb question, but I am not smart enough to be sure:

My problem is that I am unable to access zipped files on a workgroup from the right pane of Windows 7 Windows Explorer. I am running as administrator. Every other type of file I've tried works OK, but not zip files. Left or right clicking on a zip file gives a Windows Security error "These files can't be opened" Your Internet security settings prevented one or more of these files from being opened."

I believe this behavior is new with Windows 7 SP1 and/or IE9, but I am not sure. My workaround was to use an admistrator command prompt to copy the file to a local disc and then unzip it, however I since noticed that I can access and unzip the original file from the *left* pane of the same Explorer window. Great security!

How can I configure Windows to let me access a zip file (or preferably any file) on a workgroup share from the right pane of Windows Explorer the same as I can access a file on a local disc? I've looked through group polices and I can't find any relevant setting.

Edit:

I found a workaround: in IE security settings I had to enable the option "Launching applications and unsafe files".
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Hi,

Compress and uncompress files (zip files)
Compressed files take up less storage space and can be transferred to other computers more quickly than uncompressed files. You can work with compressed files and folders in the same way that you work with uncompressed files and folders. You can also combine several files into a single compressed folder. This makes it easier to share a group of files.

Watch this video to learn how to compress and uncompress files (1:18)

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
(05-07-2011, 11:54 PM)Jim Wrote: Hi,

Compress and uncompress files (zip files)
Compressed files take up less storage space and can be transferred to other computers more quickly than uncompressed files. You can work with compressed files and folders in the same way that you work with uncompressed files and folders. You can also combine several files into a single compressed folder. This makes it easier to share a group of files.

Watch this video to learn how to compress and uncompress files (1:18)

Thanks but does not help if Windows will not let you access the file in the first place. I had already gotten to that page. Sadly reminds me of a (very) old joke about Microsoft technical advice being completely accurate and totally unhelpful.
Hi,

(05-08-2011, 12:21 AM)LavCat Wrote: Sadly reminds me of a (very) old joke about Microsoft technical advice being completely accurate and totally unhelpful.

The new Micro$quish motto: "Failure is Not an Option."

"It comes bundled with every copy of Windows."

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Have you tried turning off User Access Control settings?

1. Open User Account Control Settings by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type uac, and then click 'Change User Account Control settings'.
2. To turn off UAC, move the slider to the Never notify position, and then click OK.
If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. You will need to restart your computer for UAC to be turned off.
Former www.diablo2.com webmaster.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
(05-09-2011, 01:54 PM)Crusader Wrote: Have you tried turning off User Access Control settings?

Now I have. It was an easy enough test to make. Unfortunately there was no effect on the problem with UAC off. UAC prompts don't bother me and I leave the setting on default.

Enabling "Launching applications and unsafe files" in IE Tools/Internet options/Security is, so far, the only thing that helps.