Always bet on Duke
Duke Nukem Forever is officially released. Folks in Australia are gibbing each other online as I type this.

I'm not sure if I really have anything else to say. It's still pretty surreal.
I swear I remember seeing cutouts for Duke Nukem Forever coming soon at Electronics Boutique when I was in college. Is that what it used be called, Electronics Boutique?

It reminds me of the Hellgate London fiasco. If you take long enough to make a game some part of it is obsolete. If you are foolish enough to rewrite the game to update the obsolete part, the rest will be obsolete and you will be out of money sooner or later.
Hi,

(06-10-2011, 06:52 PM)Nystul Wrote: If you take long enough to make a game some part of it is obsolete. If you are foolish enough to rewrite the game to update the obsolete part, the rest will be obsolete and you will be out of money sooner or later.

Yep. Same thing happens with hardware. No matter what you get or how much you spend, there's something better on the assembly line and something else better still on the drawing board.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

(06-10-2011, 06:52 PM)Nystul Wrote: It reminds me of the Hellgate London fiasco. If you take long enough to make a game some part of it is obsolete. If you are foolish enough to rewrite the game to update the obsolete part, the rest will be obsolete and you will be out of money sooner or later.

And here I thought that the fiasco of Hellgate London was poor finances and financial planning by the developers - in ways that were unrelated to them having an 'obsolete' portion of it in what they released.

There were two innovations in it that seemed wonderful to a former (and avid) D2 player - party portals and mailboxes.

Could you elaborate on your comment?
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

(06-14-2011, 10:32 AM)ShadowHM Wrote: And here I thought that the fiasco of Hellgate London was poor finances and financial planning by the developers - in ways that were unrelated to them having an 'obsolete' portion of it in what they released.

I think a lot went wrong with Hellgate. It comes down to poor finances, but if they had released the game a year or two sooner under a different business model, who knows? There was an interview with Bill Roper after the fact where he was asked what he would do differently and he talked about how they wasted time and resources adding special support for Dx10 and Vista and 64 bit version and things that really weren't needed. That strikes me as trying to be cutting edge with a game that you started designing many years earlier, like Duke Nukem jumping after the new shooter engines.
Wow, I just now remembered that I was a part of the Hellgate:London beta test. I almost forgot about it, because it was absolutely forgettable. I think I messed around with Hellgate for about a week before ditching it.

edit: balls of steel
(06-10-2011, 01:10 AM)yangman Wrote: Duke Nukem Forever is officially released. Folks in Australia are gibbing each other online as I type this.

I'm not sure if I really have anything else to say. It's still pretty surreal.

Well I spent a good chunk of time on Duke3D, and played the original 2d platformer. That came on a shareware floppy disk.

So, on one hand I'm somewhat happy the duke nukem takes 4ever jokes are officially dead.

On the other, I'm somewhat sad that the duke nukem takes 4ever jokes are officially dead.