Terraria: Not just a Minecraft clone.
Hey all.

I've been playing a TON of this game the last couple weeks and I can't recommend it enough.

Terraria Trailer

It's a 2D with 16 bit era graphics sandbox similar to minecraft only with a lot more gamey elements. Presently $5 on steam and a steal even at the normal $10 price.

There is a bit of a learning curve when you first start out of how the interface works and how to manipulate to create stuff in the game world, but after you overcome that you can easily lose hours of your day having fun just building a house.

If the trailer looks interesting, do yourself a favor and check it out.

Edit: WillieTannerBuilds Design Series (Episodes 1-4 live), Let's Play (Episode 1-16 live)
My son is interested in Minecraft. I'm not sure why yet.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Ahoy!

Sitting on a Mac, so no play for me (that doesn't involve an ungodly amount of hassle), but I have been enjoying TotalHalibut's "WTF is Terraria" (a first impressions video) and the following co-op videos he did with Jesse Cox from OMFG Cata. Check them out for a quick and entertaining look into the early game.

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
(07-11-2011, 07:15 PM)kandrathe Wrote: My son is interested in Minecraft. I'm not sure why yet.

I can't speak for minecraft, as I have not personally played the game, but as for Terraria I think the easiest way to explain the attraction of a game like this is that it is like playing with a massive set of legos without having to spend thousands of dollars and huge amounts of clean up.

If that sounds cool, then this type of game may be for you.
(07-12-2011, 12:08 AM)NuurAbSaal Wrote: Ahoy!

Sitting on a Mac, so no play for me (that doesn't involve an ungodly amount of hassle), but I have been enjoying TotalHalibut's "WTF is Terraria" (a first impressions video) and the following co-op videos he did with Jesse Cox from OMFG Cata. Check them out for a quick and entertaining look into the early game.

take care
Tarabulus

I'm a big fan of his videos and I've started watching a few of these thanks to your link. These aren't a perfect example of the present gameplay as there are some distinct items that have been updated in patches since these were recorded, but still very amusing.

It's unfortunate that there isn't a mac version and I'm not sure if they plan to release one. I know it sounds like most of their main focus right now is expanding the game and fixing some issues. With the money they are pulling in from it, however, a mac version may not be out of the question.
And now I've started my own Video Series. Yay!

We'll see how this turns out.
(08-03-2011, 10:39 PM)Chesspiece_face Wrote: And now I've started my own Video Series. Yay!

Awesome stuff Chess, been wondering why I never see you in WoW or LoL anymore Smile
Ziig (Warrior) - Ako (Hunter) - Amo (Paladin) - Ziade (Monk) - Ziag (DK)
(08-03-2011, 11:25 PM)Ziig Wrote:
(08-03-2011, 10:39 PM)Chesspiece_face Wrote: And now I've started my own Video Series. Yay!

Awesome stuff Chess, been wondering why I never see you in WoW or LoL anymore Smile

I'd like to second that. I especially like your World Tree Smile.

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Your castle is amazing. The boys and I are messing around with Minecraft. We're more into redstone circuits now, and learning to make various nefarious hidden traps for each other. I wish there were a few more complex blocks for AND, OR, and NOT rather than having to build them from scratch. The elementary logic stuff reminds me of an old 1982 game from the Learning Company called Rocky's Boots.

I'd like to see a few other circuit items such as a sensor if someone passes or steps on the block, and a even just a plain old light bulb or buzzer would be cool too.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Thanks a lot all!

I'm really hoping that I'll have the time to keep posting new videos in the series once or twice a week. Depending on how those go I may have some other projects in the works going forward.
I built a version of Rapture in Terraria!

[Image: rapture-sm.jpg]

It's a fully functional base too, with all the NPCs moved in, a lava reservoir for making obsidian with readily available ocean water, a hospital, restaurant, commercial skyscraper, and farm on the right with a grove for the dryad.
(08-04-2011, 04:32 PM)Tuftears Wrote: I built a version of Rapture in Terraria!

It's a fully functional base too, with all the NPCs moved in, a lava reservoir for making obsidian with readily available ocean water, a hospital, restaurant, commercial skyscraper, and farm on the right with a grove for the dryad.

Nice work! I think building underwater probably requires more patience than even I have. heh.

In other news, Episode 2 is uploading now. I think from now on I may start editing the OP with new episodes to keep from topping this thread every time I do something new.
(08-04-2011, 03:37 AM)kandrathe Wrote: The elementary logic stuff reminds me of an old 1982 game from the Learning Company called Rocky's Boots.

Dear Lord, I played that game as a wee lad. Back when educational games were actually educational. Get off my lawn!

Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
I just picked up Terraria on the Steam mid-week madness sale for $4.99 in lieu of a cheeseburger.

(08-10-2011, 06:04 PM)kandrathe Wrote: I just picked up Terraria on the Steam mid-week madness sale for $4.99 in lieu of a cheeseburger.

It really is a steal of a game at that price. I've been having a total blast with cheap indie games on Steam the last few weeks. Others of interest are Breath of Death/Cthulhu Saves the World (a hilarious old school rpg) and Dungeons of Dredmore (another hilarious game only this one is an rpg Roguelike and it can be pretty brutal). Both of those purchases are sub $5.
(08-04-2011, 03:37 AM)kandrathe Wrote: The elementary logic stuff reminds me of an old 1982 game from the Learning Company called Rocky's Boots.

What about Robot Odyssey? Rocky's Boots was just a primer for this game, which I spent hours on at school. Maybe that's why I ended up an electrical engineer...

The good news is both games are still playable, thanks to abandonia. As a sixth grader I was never able to complete this game. Now I find myself too impatient with the interface to complete it now.

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/828/Ro...yssey.html
(08-10-2011, 11:10 PM)vor_lord Wrote:

What about Robot Odyssey? Rocky's Boots was just a primer for this game, which I spent hours on at school. Maybe that's why I ended up an electrical engineer...

The good news is both games are still playable, thanks to abandonia. As a sixth grader I was never able to complete this game. Now I find myself too impatient with the interface to complete it now.

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/828/Ro...yssey.html
I was in the mode of making educational games like those, so I didn't really play them much. More, looked at them to learn what others were doing in the market space. I did play Sierra's Incredible Machine, though.

Stumbled on this and remembered mention of minecraft here. Fun little game for being so simple.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
(08-23-2011, 05:41 AM)LochnarITB Wrote: Stumbled on this and remembered mention of minecraft here. Fun little game for being so simple.
I watched him code it online for awhile.

Ludum Dare