Hellfire: Duplicate Blacksmith Oil?
Hi again,

another question:

weird thing just happened:
I had been collecting Blacksmith Oil the entire game. Didn't really need it (nothing expensive to repair) so I was saving it in case I find an Unique with altered durability like the Thinking Cap.
There were about 20 lying around on the town floor plus some other stuff.
When I tried to drop one more on the pile, a message saying “destroying duplicate” appeared and another Blacksmith Oil disappeared.

Huh?? What happened?

lg,
lyyn
Sometimes common items like potions get generated with the same seed as one you already have. Then when one gets dropped on the ground, the game checks to see if there are any identical items, and when it finds one it thinks you are duping and destroys it.
??
My stuff counted less than 100, all told!
100 measly, few things, and Diablo runs out of Ids?
OMG, that could have been the Eaglehorn I am going to give my rogue.
I guess that means triple backups from now on.
Thanks for the tip Smile
(08-07-2011, 01:56 PM)lyyn Wrote: ??
Thanks for the tip Smile

It's not that Diablo ran out of IDs. It just handed out two of the same.
Diablo does not perform a check is randomly generated ID is already used?. Even within one session, one game. Thus, there is nothing prevents it from generating same ID twice, trice or more.
In Diablo you are even able to buy duplicate within the same game (already experienced this).
However I am not so sure, is it possible to buy it from the same offer list from vendor. (Not remember to experienced this).
Of course, diablo can generate duplicate also from drop source within the same game.

If we add to above three more facts:
  • Diablo PRNG has flaws (no direct proof yet, but don't care about it, unless the word 'Pseudo' in PRNG is insufficient for you).
  • Diablo does not use PRNG well, even if generated number is really random.
    (example of that - in Jarulf's Guide, Chapter 5.5.7).
  • Potions have higher chance for generating with duplicate ID because range of ID for potions is "rather small"
    The DSF Buglist for Diablo v1.09 section Miscelanous bugs, subsection duplicates.

then, why are you so astonished?

(08-11-2011, 02:08 PM)GhastMaster Wrote:
(08-07-2011, 01:56 PM)lyyn Wrote: ??
Thanks for the tip Smile

It's not that Diablo ran out of IDs. It just handed out two of the same.

Same difference... Or actually worse: There ARE available IDs and the game still hands out duplicates. I'm pretty sure the general concept of "ID" or "unique" hasn't evolved since the 90s.... so ... wow...

(08-11-2011, 03:15 PM)Galbraith Wrote: then, why are you so astonished?

guess I shouldn't be Wink

I just tends to take me out of gemeplaying, when I start to to think about IDs, Bugs, Routines etc...
Actually, it's extremely rare and unlikely that the game assigns the same (random) unique identifier to randomly generated items. The duplicate shop-potion phenomenon happens only with the unlimited available potions, because those are generated differently from anything else.

The duplicate blacksmith oil is propably a result from accidental duping, when you picked it up.