Mousekateer Roll Call - Earthquake style
OK! Who farted?

Seriously though, Northeast US Lurkers, please let us know how you fared in the earthquake.
[Image: Sabra%20gold%20copy.jpg]

I blame Tal.

Sabramage Authenticated!
No known injuries or problems in this area (central New Jersey). Many people I work with knew it was an earthquake. Others, like me, did not. I initially thought is was a usual problem with the air conditioning.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
I'm a Californian. There was this one time I was actually relieved to discover we'd just been through an earthquake— I first thought it was just a uniquely bad hangover.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
I saw 2012. The mantle is liquifying due to undetected cosmic radiation! Smile

Here is your proof! 2.5 Magnitude earthquake in Alexandria, MN 2011 According to the USGS, my area has no active faults.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Is anyone else selfishly disappointed that they didn't feel a thing?

Seriously - I was in New Jersey when it happened, and never felt anything. I heard later there was an earthquake and was...well...annoyed that I didn't get to experience it. I know, stupid thought, but it would have been nice to be through a "safe" earthquake where you get to feel the ground move but there's no risk of harm.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
(08-25-2011, 03:13 PM)Bolty Wrote: Is anyone else selfishly disappointed that they didn't feel a thing?

Seriously - I was in New Jersey when it happened, and never felt anything. I heard later there was an earthquake and was...well...annoyed that I didn't get to experience it. I know, stupid thought, but it would have been nice to be through a "safe" earthquake where you get to feel the ground move but there's no risk of harm.

The family and I didn't feel it either. From what we can tell from comparing stories with others who didn't feel the earthquake - if you were moving you didn't feel it.
I was sitting at my desk at work, and thought someone had jerked on the back of my chair. I thought I was crazy when i looked around and there was no one there. Then, to find out it was an earthquake was.... weird.

*I'm in Ohio
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(08-25-2011, 03:13 PM)Bolty Wrote: Is anyone else selfishly disappointed that they didn't feel a thing?

Come visit CA, a couple days after, there were a couple 3.6 quakes in the span of 12 hours about 20 miles from my house, those are good practice shakers.

A 3.6 quake is kinda like a light mist of rain compared to a hurricane. You get used to this kind of stuff. I feel something and I just kind of freeze in place and wait a sec to see if it's the usual no big deal, or if it's going to get big and you're gonna need to get under a desk or into a doorway (never been through one that got big.. yet). It also means you adjust how much you spend on things like tables and desks when you start thinking that it may be the only thing between you and your roof crashing down.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.

They say we are overdue for another big one. Though I find it wryly amusing the police reported that the Brooklyn Bridge "rocked as if struck by a hurricane." This might be a good week to get it cheap.
Next on the east coast of the US, the plague of burning frogs...
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

(08-26-2011, 03:54 PM)shoju Wrote: I was sitting at my desk at work, and thought someone had jerked on the back of my chair. I thought I was crazy when i looked around and there was no one there. Then, to find out it was an earthquake was.... weird.

*I'm in Ohio

I'm in Minnesota where one of the many positives is that the ground under our feet tends to stay still. Some time ago (1997ish), I was working late one evening along with another guy in our department. We were on the 4th floor of the building. I felt something odd and, wanting to confirm I wasn't having some kind of episode, I asked, "this may be a strange question but did you just feel the building move?" He said he hadn't felt anything. The next day, the news reported that there had been an earthquake many thousands of miles away. It was very deep and the location allowed it to transmit through the earth and be felt in Minneapolis. Only earthquake I am aware of experiencing.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
(08-26-2011, 09:41 PM)kandrathe Wrote: Next on the east coast of the US, the plague of burning frogs...

I'm sure someone is already saying the cause of the earthquake was New York legalizing marriage. It's nice to know we in New Jersey are safe from the hurricane.

Which leads me to wonder why much of the country and world is suffering under drought and we have had the wettest month on record.
I felt it a bit at work (just outside Philly)... and then the fun began.

In two different office buildings on the campus, individuals took it upon themselves to save the day. They quickly sprang into action and said "wait, why aren't people panicking?? THEY SHOULD BE PANICKING!" There's a simple solution. Since these brave souls knew better than anyone else, they rushed to the fire alarms and pulled them to ensure everyone would evacuate the three-story buildings as soon a possible.
See you in Town,
-Z
I was at work at the time in Ashburn, VA, the room shook pretty violently for about 5 seconds (the room is raised floor and second floor in the building), but outside of that, no big deal (although one of the guys there that had never been through an earthquake before looked like he was going to jump under his desk... :p)
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
(08-26-2011, 09:59 PM)LavCat Wrote: It's nice to know we in New Jersey are safe from the hurricane.

Too bad that didn't work out so well, huh? Hope you're safe down there. Up here in Mass. the biggest concerns will be in Worcester (where I'm predicting tornados), Springfield (still so much debris to clean up from the tornados!), and Cape Cod (they're F-ed). I'm smack dab between Boston and Worcester, so the winds shouldn't be too bad (40 - 50 m.p.h.), but the rain will be a concern for flooding, and uprooting trees. We'll see what happens.

I've lived through... 3 or 4 earthquakes here on the East Coast, and the only one I could possibly have felt I was too young to remember (1984? 1983? Sometime in there). The rest I've never felt - so no, Bolty, you're not the only one disappointed. Tongue

Stay safe east coasters.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
(08-27-2011, 05:51 PM)Lissa Wrote: I was at work at the time in Ashburn, VA, the room shook pretty violently for about 5 seconds (the room is raised floor and second floor in the building), but outside of that, no big deal (although one of the guys there that had never been through an earthquake before looked like he was going to jump under his desk... :p)

I was just up the road from you in Reston - though I was on the 13th floor. I think being elevated was the only bit that had me worried. In an area where earthquakes are ~1/100 yrs, I'm not sure what the building code says about earthquake-proof construction. All of the folks in the offices around me stuck out their heads and looked at each other as if to say, "I guess we're not all that crazy, so the building must have been shaking." We all kind of went back to work, before the office manager's assistant came round to say that we were ordered to evacuate. In the end it was an anticlimactic "meh" moment, but I'm unbelievably greatful that it turned out that way instead of an "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!" sort of moment.
but often it happens you know / that the things you don't trust are the ones you need most....
Opening lines of "Psalm" by Hey Rosetta!
(08-28-2011, 01:14 AM)Roland Wrote:
(08-26-2011, 09:59 PM)LavCat Wrote: It's nice to know we in New Jersey are safe from the hurricane.

Too bad that didn't work out so well, huh? Hope you're safe down there. Up here in Mass. the biggest concerns will be in Worcester (where I'm predicting tornados), Springfield (still so much debris to clean up from the tornados!), and Cape Cod (they're F-ed). I'm smack dab between Boston and Worcester, so the winds shouldn't be too bad (40 - 50 m.p.h.), but the rain will be a concern for flooding, and uprooting trees. We'll see what happens.

I've lived through... 3 or 4 earthquakes here on the East Coast, and the only one I could possibly have felt I was too young to remember (1984? 1983? Sometime in there). The rest I've never felt - so no, Bolty, you're not the only one disappointed. Tongue

Stay safe east coasters.

I guess that means it was not divine retribution after all. So much for that theory.

Irene has passed us now. I just got one of the two computers up (the other is dead and I have to find out why). Our power was out for eleven hours. I missed most of my dailies yesterday. Other than that things are OK right here. Unfortunately I had a phone call that a tree fell on the building where I work, causing structural damage. My email is down (see above) and I don't know what other reports of devastation there may be. We had a lot of wind and rain.

P.S. It's still a bit breezy. I cracked open the door and things are blowing around inside.
There was an earthquake?
I know this is late but I didn't notice it here in Philly
Nyghtshayde Mage Fire/Frost ilvl 394
Nyghtdeth Death Knight Frost/Unholy ilvl 387

You get more with a kind word and a two-by-four than with just a kind word.