File Selector
I'm wondering if anyone is aware of a program which selects multiple files at the same time. I have a program I wrote which takes the old version of a document, then updates it to the new standard but leaves the old one in case there are any issues with the new format. The documents are titles for what they are... which is irrelevant... but in the title is the version number at the end; ex. "Salamander (v8.1)" becomes "Salamander (v8.2)". Every time I do this, the couple of hundred of documents I have all now have duplicates and I want to be able to select all the old ones - (v8.1) in this example - and cut/paste them into an (v8.1) folder. I've had to manually do this now for versions 6.0 to 8.0 and have been completely unable to find a program which selects everything with "*v8.1" (* being wildcard). Google only shows me over and over how to do it with Windows by manually clicking each one. There are a plethora of programs which have the function to select files based on wildcard parameters... but they then want to rename the files or convert them. I don't need any of that... I only want to select them. I may just end up writing a short .bat or something if there's nothing else out there, but I'm unfamiliar with anything but vbs within Excel so, I really don't want to waste too much time doing this if there are already programs which do this. If you guys know of any, it's greatly appreciated.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Stack Overflow is your friend for stuff like this.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1150...n-filename

That solution will work in just about any version of windows from XP onward. There would be other ways to do it with powershell or the linux subsystem. There may be apps out there but this is something a quick script is ideal for, even if that script is a .bat file.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
I would first try the explorer search function and select all, cut, paste.

Otherwise the answer in the link below should work provided, your naming scheme is consistent and the only change is at the end or the beginning of the filename. I would use robocopy instead of xcopy.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6907...y-filename

Robocopy can delete/move files. See link.

https://www.windows-commandline.com/robo...-examples/
Yes, those are the roads I traveled down before as well, but never had time to pursue. I got a new job at Cracker Barrel, but was working like a dog for only $100K annually, so quit and took a $25K pay decrease to work somewhere else, but have significantly more time to spend with my family. Money is not everything. Anyway, I mention that to explain why I never responded to this post for a LONG time. I'm not sure exactly when I'll have more free time since I have a 10-month old baby (my 5th kid, with a 13yr difference between her and my next oldest), but when I do, I'll try what those links suggest. Thanks guys!
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
(01-26-2020, 11:34 AM)Taem Wrote: Yes, those are the roads I traveled down before as well, but never had time to pursue. I got a new job at Cracker Barrel, but was working like a dog for only $100K annually, so quit and took a $25K pay decrease to work somewhere else, but have significantly more time to spend with my family. Money is not everything. Anyway, I mention that to explain why I never responded to this post for a LONG time. I'm not sure exactly when I'll have more free time since I have a 10-month old baby (my 5th kid, with a 13yr difference between her and my next oldest), but when I do, I'll try what those links suggest. Thanks guys!

Sounds like WoW Classic.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."