So, Skyrim's out 11/11/11
(11-21-2011, 10:27 PM)kandrathe Wrote:
(11-21-2011, 08:56 PM)Treesh Wrote: However, fighting the ice troll AND a dragon took the poor girl out and I had to reload. =(
You might want to think about some illusion. My former snipers in Tes3&4 found solace in both chameleon, and/or brief invisibility to sneak away and find new cover. I guess in Tes5 that would be using muffle, until you can get to the expert level spell invisibility. The ingredients for invisibility potions are on the higher level side, so not really an option for daily consumption.

For tough critters, I'd snipe, then cast invisibility and sneak until they settled back down.
Morrowind I did. Oblivion I didn't because it was just too easy to sneak anyway. Besides, she's got the muffle perk now and two points into shoot, the bottom sneaking perk. The one that makes it more difficult to detect you and most of the time they don't see me unless they run right into me now. It's just annoying trying to fight an ice troll and have a dragon add in. I could get away from the troll easily enough though. Just sprint around a corner and crouch down. No need for fancy potions. =)
Intolerant monkey.
(11-22-2011, 12:06 AM)Treesh Wrote: However, fighting the ice troll AND a dragon took the poor girl out
Oh. I misread that... Yeah, I've had surprises with dragons too.

On the positive... Doing the dragon bounty quest, the dragon decided to attack a camp of giants. I decided to switch tactic to mainly healing, and avoid the dragon. When it landed, the giants pwnd it. Then, I just had to get brave enough to get the soul, loot it, and go collect the bounty.

On the negative... I was walking out of town in Winterhold, when a dragon attacked. Then a sabre cat ran into the melee, which we dispatched. Then, a blood dragon, added in. So, I focused on the dragon, dispatched it. Then slogged out the bigger battle with the blood dragon. And, the only reason we survived this was that they both were frost breathers.

My char just married Aela the Huntress, and for our honeymoon, we took down a camp of 2 giants, and 3 mammoths. I aggroed them, and then ran around healing, while she shot them with her leet bow skills. I don't know what it was about her... her barbaric good looks, her revealing leather outfits, or maybe just that she knows the real me... She knows all my dark secrets... Anyway, it was time to settle down and have a litter of children.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

(11-22-2011, 02:26 PM)kandrathe Wrote:
(11-22-2011, 12:06 AM)Treesh Wrote: However, fighting the ice troll AND a dragon took the poor girl out
Oh. I misread that... Yeah, I've had surprises with dragons too.

On the positive... Doing the dragon bounty quest, the dragon decided to attack a camp of giants. I decided to switch tactic to mainly healing, and avoid the dragon. When it landed, the giants pwnd it. Then, I just had to get brave enough to get the soul, loot it, and go collect the bounty.

On the negative... I was walking out of town in Winterhold, when a dragon attacked. Then a sabre cat ran into the melee, which we dispatched. Then, a blood dragon, added in. So, I focused on the dragon, dispatched it. Then slogged out the bigger battle with the blood dragon. And, the only reason we survived this was that they both were frost breathers.

My char just married Aela the Huntress, and for our honeymoon, we took down a camp of 2 giants, and 3 mammoths. I aggroed them, and then ran around healing, while she shot them with her leet bow skills.

Fantastic honeymoon. =)

And after finally doing the next bit on the main quest, my loner sniper is actually going to get healing hands. When she's got a companion forced on her, it could come in handy. Nytha swears by it when she's dragging Lydia around.

Awesome about the giants and the dragon. I had one dragon circling around, but I realized it was flaming at something else and not me so I started to chase it. Well, it turns out that it was fighting wolves and chasing them while they were chasing it so it looked like a crazy dragon. The wolves were dispatched and a second dragon came in while the first was still swooping around because now it was chasing a bear that was chasing after the dragon. The two dragons ended up just flying off so I killed the idiot bear. Etheramwen's dragons always end up doing weird things. She hasn't killed a non-quest dragon yet because of weird glitchy things. She did kill herself two mammoths at the same time. Next she's going to take on giants.

There was one dragon that she was going to shoot and it seemed to be behaving - until it flew into a keep that was occupied by a gang of bandits. They stopped shooting at the dragon to shoot at her. By the time I had them all cleared up, the dragon had flown off. Maybe the dragons have heard rumors and are just scared of her bow now.
Intolerant monkey.
I am having a blast with this game. My only gripe is that I just can't get anything done that I want to get done! I sit down each night with the intention of finishing off the Thieves Guild questline, and something always comes up to distract me.

I was sent by a Guild side job to Markarth, which I hadn't visited yet. Closest waypoint I had was near Solitude, in fact. So I start my long journey and of course get sidetracked by a few dragons, dungeons, "ooh shiney!" moments and miscellaneous quests. Finally make my way to Markarth only to discover that there is an extremely compelling storyline starting up as soon as I enter town! So now the thieves guild is on hold while I finish that up, and of course I have a few side jobs in Markarth that look interesting so I will probably have to do those too.

Meanwhile I have the aforementioned thieves guild storyline to do, I just finished the first step in the Dark Brotherhood quest, I'm only partway through the INTRO to the main quest, I have a log full of miscellaneous quests and other minor/major questlines, and I'm level 26 already. I haven't even visited about half of the major cities yet either. I think I'll skip the Companions & mage guild quests on this playthrough.

Stupid game. Big Grin
Markarth is a disturbing place. I reloaded and walked out of town about halfway through the quest line because it was too much hassle for me at the time. I won't spoil anything, but suffice it to say it's... well, see for yourself. Be sure to find that Vigilant guy running around near the abandoned house!

F-ing Markarth. I hate that place. Tongue
Roland *The Gunslinger*
(11-22-2011, 04:27 PM)RTM Wrote: I am having a blast with this game. My only gripe is that I just can't get anything done that I want to get done! I sit down each night with the intention of finishing off the Thieves Guild questline, and something always comes up to distract me.

I was sent by a Guild side job to Markarth, which I hadn't visited yet. Closest waypoint I had was near Solitude, in fact. So I start my long journey and of course get sidetracked by a few dragons, dungeons, "ooh shiney!" moments and miscellaneous quests.

<snip>

Stupid game. Big Grin
Well, it IS a TES game. =D I've been after this flute for I don't know how long now. I was going to buckle down and do it, but then there was a dragon in the closest town plus a mine so I had to go back home and do some crafting. Got back up there, was doing the run I see three wolves leave a poor Khajit women close to death in the snow so I healed her up after just buying healing hands. The icewolves come back and try to eat her again. I heal her, kill them, and she's gone somewhere, but there's a male Khajit running like hell towards the closest town.

I get a little further and I see this guy just sitting on a snow covered roof in the middle of a run down fort. Now, the last run down fort Eth ran across, there were a ton of bandits that wanted to do horrible things to the poor girl so I sneak behind him, get caught pickpocketing, but there's no bounty so he must have been less-than-lawabiding to begin with. Kill him, go inside. Down in the basement there are torture chambers, caged werewolves, a freezing cold tunnel leading to more of the basement. She clears everything out, gets shinies, lots of cure disease potions (which is good since I was down to two in storage) and great practice slitting their throats (with the cutscenes even).

And now it feels like it's time for bed, but I haven't even gotten halfway to where the flute is. =) I frickin' love this game. Yay for learning from the Oblivion mistakes!

Edit: Forgot to mention the random group of revelers who asked her to drink with them. No abductions though. Just a bottle of mead.
Intolerant monkey.
(11-22-2011, 06:11 PM)Treesh Wrote: I get a little further and I see this guy just sitting on a snow covered roof in the middle of a run down fort. Now, the last run down fort Eth ran across, there were a ton of bandits that wanted to do horrible things to the poor girl so I sneak behind him, get caught pickpocketing, but there's no bounty so he must have been less-than-lawabiding to begin with. Kill him, go inside. Down in the basement there are torture chambers, caged werewolves, a freezing cold tunnel leading to more of the basement. She clears everything out, gets shinies, lots of cure disease potions (which is good since I was down to two in storage) and great practice slitting their throats (with the cutscenes even).
I think that is one of the Silverhand hideouts. For the companion quest line you end up pillaging that place as a part of your initiation into the circle.

”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

(11-21-2011, 04:13 PM)Treesh Wrote: This one is apparently hetero though since the first one to trip her fancy was a male Nord who, unfortunately is not available for marriage. Poor girl, although that does help to keep her feeling more like the loner that she seems to be.
I'm curious. Could you kill the significant other so that he would be available for marriage? I'm assuming the reason he isn't available is that he is already married. I realize that likely wouldn't fit your loner theme. I just want to know if the game supports it. : )
I have my first big complaint. I can't launch the game. It got stuck at preparing to launch in Steam. I verified the content, I restarted Steam and my computer. Nothing.

So now I'm re-installing. Grumble.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
First major complaint here, made it to Solitude for the first time, saw what was happening off to the right. I hadn't made a choice so far in the game concerned the factions, but I couldn't let it pass. I slaughter everyone involved, save him, run up to him and he says, "Hey", "Nice day in Skyrim isn't it?"..... Bah.

I realize I'm expecting too much from our current technology, likely, but man, wouldn't a "thanks!" be at least worth coding?

Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
(11-22-2011, 11:48 PM)swirly Wrote:
(11-21-2011, 04:13 PM)Treesh Wrote: This one is apparently hetero though since the first one to trip her fancy was a male Nord who, unfortunately is not available for marriage. Poor girl, although that does help to keep her feeling more like the loner that she seems to be.
I'm curious. Could you kill the significant other so that he would be available for marriage? I'm assuming the reason he isn't available is that he is already married. I realize that likely wouldn't fit your loner theme. I just want to know if the game supports it. : )

I haven't tracked down the spouse. And besides his family is embroiled in a bitter Hatfeld vs McCoy thingy. Wink

RTM> This is for you. =) http://kotaku.com/5862021/skyrim-is-the-...pan-gaming
Intolerant monkey.
Quote:Launch steam, go to steam > settings > downloads + cloud

Disable steam cloud syncronization.

Now Skyrim launches for me. Didn't even have to restart steam

This worked for me (a reinstall did not).

It appears the last patch broke stuff for Win7 64 bit systems as best I can tell.

But I can play again.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
(11-23-2011, 04:41 AM)Gnollguy Wrote: But I can play again.

And that's all that matters!

Must buy a second house because I've filled all the bookshelves in the first one. I do wish the weapons racks and plaques weren't so damned buggy though. I want to be able to fill those too! Especially since they brought back glows on enchanted stuff without having it look quite as silly as in Morrowind. =)
Intolerant monkey.
Gosh golly... still haven't gotten the game... not that it's available out here in retail anyway. Combination of lack of time and unexpected expenses. Sounds interesting though. Maybe when I have a bit less work load (2 attorney office is up to over 2100 criminal cases this year), and stop bleeding out cash for medical matters, automotive failures, and cell phone replacement (old one stopped ringing reliably) ... I might consider getting it.

Between new, admittedly industrial strength, snow shoes for the car (first time with Nokians)... a new heavy-duty 800+ CCA battery (Interstate) to replace the dead original 625 CCA unit ... and an oil change out to 0-20 Synthetic for wintertime, probably spent over $1,100.

However, I'm now ready to roll through whatever Winter throws my way.
(11-23-2011, 04:41 AM)Gnollguy Wrote: It appears the last patch broke stuff for Win7 64 bit systems as best I can tell.
I'm on XBox. So far, I've only had one freeze up.

(11-23-2011, 04:55 AM)Tris Wrote: However, I'm now ready to roll through whatever Winter throws my way.
Winter is here. Time to curl up with a good game until spring.

I will be driving from Williston to Bismarck a couple of times this Winter, I can't curl up. The North Dakota Supreme Court sets arguments for when they set arguments, and there's the annual winter meeting of the ND State's Attorney's Association. Might actually wind up doing a presentation at this year's version.

I like winter... as they say in Minot... -41F drives out the riff-raff. Should get me a T-shirt with that on it from the Minot Visitor's Center. Some say winter matches my personality.
(11-23-2011, 05:24 AM)Tris Wrote: -41F drives out the riff-raff.
... and more importantly, the killer bees, fire ants, alligators, rattle snakes, and the brown recluse spiders... I can deal with riff-raff, and even mosquitoes.

Hehe, we have bugs during summer all right. Do some part-time work with the district's vector control unit. Trust me, it brought back memories of Florida mangrove swamps.

We, actually have rattle snakes out here, they just hibernate over the winter.
(11-23-2011, 04:55 AM)Tris Wrote: Gosh golly... still haven't gotten the game... not that it's available out here in retail anyway. Combination of lack of time and unexpected expenses. Sounds interesting though. Maybe when I have a bit less work load (2 attorney office is up to over 2100 criminal cases this year), and stop bleeding out cash for medical matters, automotive failures, and cell phone replacement (old one stopped ringing reliably) ... I might consider getting it.

Between new, admittedly industrial strength, snow shoes for the car (first time with Nokians)... a new heavy-duty 800+ CCA battery (Interstate) to replace the dead original 625 CCA unit ... and an oil change out to 0-20 Synthetic for wintertime, probably spent over $1,100.

However, I'm now ready to roll through whatever Winter throws my way.

I'd rather you were safe than entertained. Both is preferable of course, but safe and sound first. =)

Cave bears are my new nemesis. So difficult to sneak up on (especially when I'm just running around willy nilly and not actually in stealth Wink ), they hit poor Eth like a freight train. I finally got the quest done so the Jarl trusts me, was heading back to turn it in, seeing if I could find this damned stone that was on the map but I couldn't find a path to it when a cave bear jumped out at me. It charged, mauled me, I did my unrelenting force shout and apparently blew it right off the edge of the mountain. I go down to loot it (which was how I needed to go to get to the stone anyway) and some guy labeled "Fugitive" ran up to me, gave me a sword, told me he'll kill me if I double cross him and then ran off in stealth. I've gotten used to the damned courier running up to me, but that fugitive was darned lucky I didn't have the bow at the ready. Don't tell me where this little bit leads! I want to find out on my own since it was just such odd timing. =)
Intolerant monkey.
No one told me Skyrim has Kael'Thas in it! :p
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.